in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-03-2010 5:07 PM by Ehlerz. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-14-2009 4:20 PM

Help needed, no Sound from Mac mini on Beovision 7

Hi Beoworlders,

I have a Mac Mini hooked up to my Beovision 7-40 with a DVI to HDMI cable.

After checking the forum up and down I realized, I need some more electronics to get a proper 5.1 sound out of my speakers.

I went to my electronics dealer and bought:

- Toslink to mini jack adapter

- Toslink cable

- Toslink to Coax Converter (exactly the one that got posted here in the forum)  

- Coax Cable (Cinch) 75 Ohm

After installing everyting I am a little lost with the setup as I simply don't get any sound :-(

My BV7-40 (TV only version without DVD player) has the following connections:

Physical: AV1 / AV2 / AV3 / AV5 (what happened  to AV4 by the way???)

There is AV6 in the setup menue but I can't find it as well (maybe the connection panel on the side is AV6?)

Is there any special setup I have to do or must I register the Mini under a certain product group?? ...

You see me with a big "?" sitting behind my Beovision surrounded by cables with no idea left..

Help pls :-)

Best

Stephan 

• 08-15-2009 9:57 AM In reply to

Re: Help needed, no Sound from Mac mini on Beovision 7

Hi Stefan

The digital input on BV 7 only knows surround signals. Make sure the sound distributed to the TV is 5.1 and not 2 channels..

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 08-17-2009 6:50 AM In reply to

Thats a good hint, I suggest that maybe the cable is wrong, I've connected the my PS3 via the optical output and no sound as well... I will change components and see what happens.

• 08-17-2009 10:23 AM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

Have you done the necessary AV-assignments? Personally I have assigned Mac Mini as DVD to AV1. Video is with HDMI (D in my case) and audio selected is SPDIF in the relevant AV-connection (AV1 in my case).

Audio is physically connected as you have described. How have you assigned the Mini?

• 08-17-2009 11:05 AM In reply to

1. the signals must be DD2.0, DD5.1 or DTS. If you want to listen to 2ch PCM the audio decoder must have the right sw installed (MKIII and higher should be OK)

2. did you program de SPDIF connection in the setup of your BV7-40 right?

3. how are audio signals send to the BV7 by the Apple tv? As bitstream or PCM? If by bitstream: what is the format? AAC/MP3/PCM???

• 08-17-2009 8:01 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Ask your dealer about DSM SW version 3.01 (part no 8344439 ) and the upgrade to the TV software as well. It should allow the enabling of PCM 2 channel sound.

This is for a specific BV7-40 MKII you would again be wise to check with the dealer.

Good luck, beoaus.

• 08-18-2009 5:16 AM In reply to

beoaus:

Ask your dealer about DSM SW version 3.01 (part no 8344439 ) and the upgrade to the TV software as well. It should allow the enabling of PCM 2 channel sound.

Hi Beoaus

So you are saying that the earlier problems with not beeing able to decode 2 channel sound on the BV 7 are not longer an issue with the right software?

Does this mean that i can conenct my Mac Mini with digital and enjoy DD5.1 for movies AND ordinary 2 channel sound from music in Itunes?

Thanks in advance

Ehlerz

• 08-18-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

Thanks for all the help so far.

My software shows the version 439 in the menu and I've tried all cable configurations possible with all inputs on the BV7 and all available assignments in the menu.

I've just ordered a new Toslink to Coax converter from Amazon and a high quality digital coax cable to make sure all the wiring and converting is ok.

By the end of the week, I will have a B&O technican at home to upgrade the software to the most recent version.

Keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks for your help so far!

• 08-26-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

beoaus:

Hi Beoaus

So you are saying that the earlier problems with not beeing able to decode 2 channel sound on the BV 7 are not longer an issue with the right software?

Does this mean that i can conenct my Mac Mini with digital and enjoy DD5.1 for movies AND ordinary 2 channel sound from music in Itunes?

Thanks in advance

Ehlerz

Beoaus, are you there??

Can anyone confirm or reject beeing able to use only HDMI cables AND having 2 Channel sound for music and DD 5.1 for movies??

• 08-26-2009 8:40 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

Sorry about the delay guys.

I have had the software (chip) installed this morning and it looks to work.  I'll need some more time for testing and to report back this evening AU time. Also had other updates applied.

Update: The PCM update works. The 7.91e update has a few problems. The PUC control seems to turn devices off and control of Foxtel and the DMR-BW500 has gone haywire.  I have a BV7-40MKII. EDIT (looks like the software has different options to manage the STB's'which need to be learned, once completed the problems go away)

If you have later BV7's this post may not be relevant.

beoaus.

• 08-27-2009 4:23 AM In reply to

@ Ehlerz

You have a BV7 - 40 mkIV?

Than you can listen to the next formats though SPDIF: DD 2.0, DD5.1, DTS, 2ch PCM

with HDMI you will additional have the multichannel PCM format (so if your Bluray-player can decode DD TrueHD and/or DTS HD MA you can even listen to these formats as multichannel PCM!)

If you have a SACD and/or DVDAudio player which decodes these formats and outputs them as multichannel PCM you can listen to these formats also(using HDMI!!!)

note:  if you use HDMI for audio, the video output of your DVD/Bluray player must be set to >=720p to get multichannel PCM (due to specs of HDMI)

• 08-27-2009 7:54 AM In reply to

Hi Carolpa

Yes i have a BV 7-40 MK IV.  2ch PCM, is this the ordinary output from say Macmini when you listen to music??. I ask the question, as i intend to hook up a Mac Mini DVI to HDMI and Digital sound. With the earlier MK´s you were not able to listen to say music in stereo through the digital input on your BV, therefore you had to have BOTH Digital AND analoge.

So, will I be able to avoid the analog connection if i want to use my macmini for Bluray Rips with DD 5.1 and music from Itunes??

Furthermore, what about sound in linkrooms??. This has not been possible without plugin in analoge in aswell!!?

My Tv has an inbuilt Blurayplayer and i am not sure about what you mean with everything else you write :-)

HD def is 1080p so this should not be a problem!

• 08-27-2009 9:01 AM In reply to

hi Ehlerz,

PCM is a general format (for example cd´s format are PCM 16bit 44,1 kHz). So if the Macmini is instructed to output PCM over SPDIF you will hear music. But the bandwith of SPDIF is technically limited. It can handle 2ch PCM 24bit 96kHz, but no multichannel PCM.

If the Macmini is instructed to send bitstreams over the SPDIF, it depends on the signal the sound processor of your BV7-40 (=same as BS3) can handle it. For sure the processor can handle 2ch PCM, DD2.0, DD5.1, DTS and also some lossy formats (but not all and dependent of the bitrate)

Many devices (DVD/Blu-ray/etc.) have the possibility to different setups:

1. Convert/decode all audio formats to PCM (2ch and/or multi-ch) and send them over to a soundprocessor/receiver/tv

2. Send al formats over as bitstreams (= its original form) and let the soundprocessor/receiver/tv convert/decode the audio signal.

3. A combination of both depending of the original signal

The choices are dependant of the decoding capabilities of your sound processor and/or your player AND they are dependant on the way the player and the processor can be interconnected!

You can connect everthing digital. Video: DVI to HDMI and Audio: SPDIF.

But beware! If the macmini is instructed to send bitstreams over de SPDIF, then you can still have situations with NO sound (see before!).

If audio is connected through SPDIF to your BV7-40 mkIV, it is possible to listen in linkrooms to DD and PCM signals (note: always converted to analog 2ch).

• 08-28-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

Thanks Alot Carolpa

Very informative...

• 09-22-2009 9:24 PM In reply to

Did you get this sorted out. I am in the same situation myself.

Just on my way trying to buy the right cables

• 09-23-2009 7:43 AM In reply to

Yep, got it sorted out.

I took the Optical > Coax Converter from Oehlbach (around 90 Euros from amazon), took the best Optical cable I could find (only 0,5m) and a good Coax cable.

First I assigned the Mac Mini to the PC source in the Menu, which didn't work for reasons unknown.

My setup is now: Playstation 3 assigned to V.AUX with sound via HDMI, Mac Mini assigned to DVD with sound via S/P DIF 

A B&O technican updated the software and added the respective PUC codes for PS3 and Mac Mini.

If you have the PUCs assigned, you can leave the Mini on standby, as soon as you press DVD and give the "start Frontrow" command, the Mini powers up and gives you access to the Frontrow menu within 10 seconds... really perfect, I love it!

If I can assist further, let me know.

Regards

Stephan

• 01-13-2010 1:49 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

I'm in the process of hooking up my MacMini to my brand new BV7-32, but that's not an easy thing... If video should not be a problem (DVI to HDMI), it's the audio part that is tricky.

I used : a minijack to toslink cable + toslink to coaxial converter + coax cable 

After setting up everything, I get (at last!) a DD 5.1 sound!! Hurrah!!

BUT I have no sound coming from iTunes (PCM 2.0?)

On the French forum it was said that older BV7-32 could not get PCM2.0 via coax, but I have the latest version (AC3 SW 03.01a)

Any help??

Thanks very much!!

Philippe

• 01-14-2010 5:35 AM In reply to

hi Phillipe,

Are you sure you send a pcm 2.0 format to the BV7? It is not a AAC (mp4/m4a/m4b) or mp3 format? If you (bit)stream these formats to the DSP of the BV7 you will not hear a thing!

Test: rip a cd to wav files (normal pcm 16bit 44.1kHz) and play a file with iTunes or play the cd directly in iTunes. Can you hear the track?

if you do not hear music, you have to change the settings in the custom service menu: Enable / Disable PCM sound

• 01-14-2010 9:05 AM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Oh that must be it!! Thanks Carolpa!

Indeed i'm listening to MP3 files from iTunes!!

But where is this custom service menu accessible in the Mac Mini?? iTunes preferences menu??

Philippe

• 01-14-2010 7:56 PM In reply to

Tricky one... besides all the audio hassle, getting sound from iTunes was never the problem with my setup... 

Could you get it sorted out?

Rgds 

Stephan

• 01-17-2010 1:58 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

Hey Stefan,

Nope I couldn't get it sorted out unfortunately...

Carolpa:

Test: rip a cd to wav files (normal pcm 16bit 44.1kHz) and play a file with iTunes or play the cd directly in iTunes. Can you hear the track?

if you do not hear music, you have to change the settings in the custom service menu: Enable / Disable PCM sound

I just did that, my test song being a 44100kHz 16bit on 2 channel... Unfortunately no sound out. I still have sound coming from DVDs, but no stereo sound at all, let it be mp3 or wav or CD

What should I check? My macmini settings? Stefan, what's the setting of your audio/midi configuration set-up of your macmini?

I have "digital out" and 44100 and 2channel 16 bit.

I assume it must be ok??

Thanks for your help carolpa and Stefan,

Philippe

• 05-03-2010 5:07 PM In reply to

Carolpa:

If audio is connected through SPDIF to your BV7-40 mkIV, it is possible to listen in linkrooms to DD and PCM signals (note: always converted to analog 2ch).

But how?? Say my mini is assigned to V.mem, i cant get any linkroom sound by pressing either V-mem or AV V-mem. What to do?

TIA

/Ehlerz

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)