in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2009 10:48 AM by The_Beonic_Man. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-13-2009 6:31 PM

• Andy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-12-2009
    • England
    • Posts 20
    • Bronze Member

Serenata Owners

Hi all, just thought it would be nice to see who else has a Serenata as they arnt the most common of phones! so come on whos got one......Smile

Id rather loose my right leg than get rid of my Serenata

• 08-14-2009 12:10 AM In reply to

Re: Serenata Owners

My Serenata:

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 08-14-2009 2:47 AM In reply to

I have a 'free' Seranata from my purchase of a BS5, though sadly it gathers dust; as a mac user the inability to transfer album art is a killer, and the interface while appealingly retro, is also clumsy.

P

• 08-14-2009 4:07 AM In reply to

• Andy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-12-2009
    • England
    • Posts 20
    • Bronze Member

i must say i agree with the album art i have to go on the pc for that and for the time and effort i just cant be bothered so im having to live without it but having said that thats the only thing im not keen on so far, i like the interface although i can see why many dont as it is very retro and there isnt much too it. One thing i do like on the other hand is the operation wheel i like the feel of that and i think that it works nicely :)

• 08-14-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

I have a Serenata that I use as a phone for work, and as a portable music player on weekends at the beach, and believe me or not, the phone is very robust, because I work on ships & not in a top clean office, it has to deal with dust, dirt, grease, heat & cold, and after one year it still looks like new.

The music player is really the great winner, the sound is fantastic, compared to my previous BeoSound 2, even at similar compression rates, the Serenata sounds better.

The only downside for me is SMSing, it can be done but if you're used to typing long messages & at high speed, it does show its limitations!

On the audio part, the downside for me is the extremely thin cable for the earphones, I'm very careful when using the earphones, because it looks like it will break at the first stretch of the cable.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-14-2009 7:12 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

I've been a fan since I first got my hands on the Serenata. I use a smartphone at work and the Serenata at home, but I have started to use the Serenata at work too - simply because it doesn't hang (Windows Mobile...) and the sound quality is great (talking). The built-in speaker is, to me, a much more practical way of listening to music without blocking out the rest of world and you can move around in a room without dealing with cords going from your ears to the mp3-player.

My smartphone's (HTC) display goes black/blank during a call, so activating it and locating the speaker phone function is too frustrating compared to just sliding up the speaker on the Serenata. And, as stated above, it comes with a pre-installed "rubber housing" that makes it robust and the battery capacity is 2x-3x that of the smartphone.

The Serenata is fairly good at browsing the web (wap), but for texts (sms) and emails it must be among the worst on the market.  Also, I must admit that getting music on to it is too slow (I do not mind the interface) compared to the iPhone.

The polite ring tones and the clever charge station are the icing on the cake - the phone is always fully charged when I pick it up on the way out of the house.

Roger

• 08-14-2009 3:54 PM In reply to

Umm...sounds persuasive...maybe time to wipe off the dust and have another play!

But how to get album art without buying a pc? I did speak with B & O and was told there are no plans to support the product further (on the software side with Beoconnect).

P

• 08-14-2009 4:21 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-12-2009
    • England
    • Posts 20
    • Bronze Member

i use a HTC Diamond for business im guessing you do too by the sounds of the hang ups your having? and the screen going to standby during calls? 

• 08-15-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

Close - it´s the one with the sliding keyboard, HTC Pro, but it is basically the same phone as the Diamond.

Roger

• 08-26-2009 7:07 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Well I guess I should chip in here!  Per my other post, I was lucky enough to win a Serenata in the prize draw. 

It's certainly a unique and unusual thing. In some ways it feels like it's from the past, certainly compared to an iPhone it's hopeless in many respects. But it is different, which I like, and nicely made - although even the design is frustrating (for example: the plugs on the earset, USB cable and charger are a tight and tricky fit and of course you have to unplug before you can use it on its stand). Not sure how durable the screen will be as it's obviously exposed to scratches, etc. unlike a folded Serene.

It was a nightmare trying to set it up on a Mac, so I installed Windows on the Mac to try that. I have to say I don't think it's a whole lot better with Windows!!  Although I have now got some music on there with album artwork.  I love the idea of being able to relax and listen to my music and not have to worry about missing a call (previously I used an iPod for music and my Serene as a phone... but often I'd be listening to the iPod and unaware that the Serene was ringing in my pocket!). Also being able to use speakerphone is great (although I'm not sure I'd listen to music on the speaker).

Completely given up (after trying for days!) on getting a video onto it, but I guess it doesn't look so great on a 240 x 240 screen anyway! If anyone has managed to get video to play on their Serenata, please let me know.

I find the sound quality of music through the earset 3 is unexpectedly good, to my ears even better than the iPod with A8s - although I guess the music playback is really just a Samsung MP3 player?

Anyway, I like it, and although I do prefer the design of Serene I feel lucky to be able to use both!

My B&O cellphones

• 08-26-2009 9:17 AM In reply to

I have had mine for 1 1/2 year and i am a happy customer. The sound is great also with the pop-up speaker. Its nice when you are lying on the floor fiddling with something..

The music player works excellent, the sound is great and it definetely sounds better than both my ipod and creative MP3.

But.... I have to admit that when someone send me a text i call them up. I dont write many texts with it. It takes too long.

It has of course some scratches and small bumps but generally i must say that its very robust. Especially compared to the earlier phones i had(nokia sony etc).

But most importantly= i love the design! Its just so different from other phones..

BeoVision10-46MKII,BL3,BL2,BS8,Beo5

• 10-17-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

• Andy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-12-2009
    • England
    • Posts 20
    • Bronze Member

your right with the cable, broke mine 2 weeks ago when i snagged it on my shirt! plastic casing came away from the cable and caused the wire to be exposed but on the plus side b&o are going to put a new cable on and should get it back this week! :) 

• 10-18-2009 4:29 AM In reply to

It's the marmite of all phones.

Just got mine back from being repaired, the left speaker stopped on the headphones and the button in the wheel became stuck so it was almost impossible to use. Having the phone back I love it again - like a previous member wrote, listening to great quality music and not worrying about missing calls is great. I do find browsing and texting almost impossible - in fact I dread having to reply to texts.

It does look different and it serves as a simple music player and phone. It isn't classic B&O as it won't (hasn’t) lasted the test of time. But it's fun and different, and I do use the speaker to listen to music in the garden.

My biggest gripe is the thinness of the headphone flex, mine has broken twice and unless I am very careful folding it away it becomes one almighty tangled knot - I'm not sure why it isn't the same as the A8's.

• 10-18-2009 8:16 AM In reply to

Like others, I also find texting a nightmare and always call people back instead. Its not the most practical of phones and I'll be using the Serene for that when it comes back from repair. However, for sound quality its unbeatable. Better than all B&O MP3 players before by far, even if a little on the large side compared to an iPod shuffle! Its OK but I don't really use it much if I am honest.

Simon.

• 10-18-2009 10:22 AM In reply to

A side question: does anyone know why the Serenata is no longer visible on the B&O website and the dedicated website (serenatamobile.com) taken down? Are they no longer producing this phone?

On the other hand, the Serene is still listed and also up on www.serenemobile.com, so I'm assuming it's still part of the product lineup?

• 10-18-2009 10:48 AM In reply to

Weird that the Serene is still their too. The Serenata was taken down a while ago now because its not part of the product portfolio anymore. You know something is wrong when they start giving things away when you buy other products. It just didn't cut it and I think its primarily because it has no useability. The Serene is slightly better but I never really thought either attempt at a mobile was a good one, and labelling Samsung on the products just finished them off! Sometimes I am amazed at B&O and just can't work out who comes up with such ridiculous ideas. They make some products that are fantastic and leaps ahead of the competition, then they make others that are a complete flop. No consistency like there used to be.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)