in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-13-2009 9:52 PM by hocky. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2009 11:53 AM

• djram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2007
    • Posts 78
    • Gold Member

Restoring missing veneer on beocenter 1400

Found a beocenter 1400 in nice condition and fully operational, the tape plays as you would expect from equipment of this age. I had only seen photos of these beocenters before and was never impressed but now I must say that it is a quite impressive unit. I think it was a bargain since I got it for 8 euro. However, regarding the cosmetic condition, the left hand side rosewood veneer was missing almost completely, as seen in the picture below.

I found self adhesive plastic foil with wood imitation in a scrapbook store. The color and structure was not a perfect match to the original veneer but I thought it would look better than the black plastic. Once it was cut to proper dimension and fitted it looked as the picture below.

Wow, this was better than I thought it would be.  The color mismatch is not as visible because of the angle to the wood on top of the unit and from a distance, and if you are not aware of the fake, I think that most people will not notice the eyewash. This will not work as good if used on bigger surfaces.

Hans

• 08-11-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

• scuba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2008
    • Posts 48
    • Bronze Member

Re: Restoring missing veneer on beocenter 1400

Hi,nice jobSmile,if you lived a litle closer i would have asked you for the left over pices of the orignal rosewood, i bought a BC 1400 last week,whit only some smal pieces of veener missing on the sides.I also planed to replace the veener on the sides and we have a litle sortiment of veener were i work but we dont have rosewood ore palisander as its caled in Norway,we only have teak (to light ore to dark) ,pine(mutch to light) and cherrywood (to red)

Jon

• 08-13-2009 9:52 PM In reply to

• hocky
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-02-2008
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Re: Restoring missing veneer on beocenter 1400

If you go to some hardware stores you might be able to find those veneer panels which are meant for kitchen or cupboard panelling and I am sure I have seen them sold in strips which can be cut to size and shape and stuck on with suitable glues. You should be able to get almost the right colour, grain and finish whether glazed or unglazed.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)