in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-04-2009 7:20 PM by Calvin. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-04-2009 1:50 AM

The end of Serenata?

I was browsing on B&O website this morning and just noticed that the website dedicated to the Serenata was..gone! Try serenatamobile.com, and it takes you back to the main website; however, the Serene website (serenemobile.com) is still working.

Don't you find it strange that the latest mobile, offering more capabilities than the Serene, is going away? Is this B&O's capitulation in front of the Iphone?

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 08-04-2009 2:08 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Re: The end of Serenata?

Serenata isn´t gone. But both will be discontinued.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 08-04-2009 6:17 AM In reply to

The Serenata was discontinued on december 2008 Stick out tongue

Jq. BS4 BL3 A8 Form2

• 08-04-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

The Serenata shouldn't have appeared! It is simply an embarassing product of a phone. The worst example for the category "Design and nothing more!"

Totaly useless ...

Perhaps they learned s.th. from their mistakes with Serene and Serenata or  that cheap Samsung MP3 player called Beosound 6 ...

• 08-04-2009 2:22 PM In reply to

Chrisreunion:

I was browsing on B&O website this morning and just noticed that the website dedicated to the Serenata was..gone! Try serenatamobile.com, and it takes you back to the main website; however, the Serene website (serenemobile.com) is still working.

Don't you find it strange that the latest mobile, offering more capabilities than the Serene, is going away? Is this B&O's capitulation in front of the Iphone?

I'm fairly certain that in the company annual report they said that they were getting out of the phone business altogether.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-04-2009 3:42 PM In reply to

I'm fairly certain that in the company annual report they said that they were getting out of the phone business altogether.

Graham

Hello,

Are you talking about the mobile phone business ?

It seems that the domestic phone business is quite prolific for B&O.

Thanks for your feedback,

Cheers,

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 08-04-2009 4:14 PM In reply to

GuyHui :

Graham

Hello,

Are you talking about the mobile phone business ?

It seems that the domestic phone business is quite prolific for B&O.

Thanks for your feedback,

Cheers,

Guy

From the Company April statement to investors:

New telephone
    For many years, Bang & Olufsen’s telephones have enjoyed considerable success. However, in line with the
    Group’s strategy plan, the management does not expect to continue to start development projects for this
    product category. Consequently, the Group has initiated its final concept for landline telephony in the form of a
    telephone with loudspeakers for among others hands-free conversations and conference calls. The telephone is
    also intended for internet telephony. This concept also allows the user to select colours in the full graphic
    display.

So just one phone to go?????

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 08-04-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

I agree with TWG - serenata was(is) a disgrace.

B&O should have come up with something in the line of Serene (not sure what though)

Anyway the phon market is too saturated with even the chinese making quite good replica's...Painful...but good time to move on...

What next?

• 08-04-2009 7:20 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

It's a shame really.  The Serenata (whilst a great looking piece of kit) is an overpriced and underperforming phone because it's ability to go beyond the simple phone+text remit has been completely overshadowed by the iphone and other companies wither faster turnaround and technology advances.  Simply put, the tech-phone business evolves continuously and so it's a bad market for B&O to be in if they want to make money.

On the other hand though, I love the Serene.  4 years on, it still looks amazing and if I had to buy a phone tomorrow, it would be a Serene.  It fulfills the functions of 'working phone and SMS' as well as 'looks amazing' - on this basis it beats all other phones.

I know this will raise eyebrows: Beoworld is often riddled by arguments about how B&O is overpriced design or that the functional equivalent can be found elsewhere but the fact remains that if you become a member, you almost certainly have already bought into the brand and that (when you bought the item/s) you too believed the design aspect to be amongst your prime concerns. I honestly don't think buying a Serene over a cheap highstreet phone is any different from buying an Audi over a Skoda.  The innards are much the same (because they're the same company) and you're just paying for the look and a brand name. £500+ for some branding and a great design?  I must admit, I would say "yes."

It might seem crazy to others but we all spend crazy money on things we like, be it booze, be it cars, be it holidays, be it women.  It just so happens that I would gladly spend a lot on money on a great looking mobile phone.  So would and did others, this is why the Serene shifted thousands of units.  It's no more ridiculous that paying £3,000+ for a CD player when I could get a great sounding one for £500 in the local electronics shop.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)