in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2009 7:47 AM by david707. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2009 12:36 PM

• dsc8w
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Guildford
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Transferring my Vinyl LP's to a Computer

I am hoping that someone maybe able to advise me, what is the best way and relative Hardware and Software that I can use to transfer my existing stock of Vinyl LP's etc from my B & O 5500 to a Windows XP computer.

One of the problems I envisage is the wiring between the B & O and my computer, which are some distance apart in different rooms.

I look forward to seeing the responses.

Thanks

David

• 08-01-2009 12:58 PM In reply to

Re: Transferring my Vinyl LP's to a Computer

I can't advise on the software as I use a Mac and have Toast and CD Doctor on this but the connection will be via the tape 2 sockets to the sound card - a twin RCA to mini stereo jack is what you need. The maximun length of Audio Aux cable recommended (which uses the same strength of signal) is 100 foot.

• 08-01-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

In terms of a cheap software package to run on your Windows PC then Hi-Q Recorder is good and you can find details HERE

Regards Keith....

• 08-01-2009 2:14 PM In reply to

Another, completely free, choice is Audacity .

10 m / 30 ft / from a room to another should not be a too long distance for a line level signal. However, since the Beosystem and the PC will then be powered from mains sockets far away from each other, you might get a a mains hum that will ruin the recordings. I would just carry the PC over to the Beosystem (or vice versa) for the time of the recording, it's a one-off happening after all.

-mika

• 08-01-2009 2:54 PM In reply to

• dsc8w
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-22-2007
    • Guildford
    • Posts 17
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies so far, but can someone advise me on the Hardware needed and to where it should be connected to my 5500 system.

David

• 08-01-2009 3:00 PM In reply to

Thought I had! You need a two RCA plug to mini-jack cable. The 2 RCA plugs plug into the Tape 2 out of the Beomaster 5500 and the mini-jack goes into the audio in of your soundcard. Play your record on the Beogram 5500 and select Phono. The tape 2 output will output line level to the sound card. Using the software suggested above, you can record a WAV file on your computer and then save this in whichever format you wish. I am using 320kbps AAC but you will probably use either WMA or MP3.

• 08-02-2009 4:38 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi

If you somehow could solve the distance problem, maybe something like this:

http://www.terratec.net/en/products/PhonoPreAmp_iVinyl_2064.html

NAD has also something similar.

B R

Clakke

• 08-02-2009 4:47 AM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

Hello!

To transfer LPs to PC, I use this:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

It can be used it with a laptop (PC or Mac), so no problem of distance between the PC and the LP player.

The rest of the time, I use it to connect a netbook (transformed in a net-music server) to my Beoport. I was not too confident of the sound-quality delivered by the laptop.

Useful piece of kit!

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 08-02-2009 5:57 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

For what it's worth, here's my tuppence worth. I found the transfer from vinyl to be a thankless task, firstly you need to take care with recording levels or you could end up with clipping (or too low and you end up with (sometimes) much less than sixteen bits of resolution).  A typical pc has a lousy soundcard, you could find the underlying noise when recording is ~ -40dB on a typical example, hardly hifi. Next, depending upon the software you use, you end up with single files which need to be topped and tailed into single tracks - even the software that claims to do this automatically isn't 100% accurate and the results may need editing. You also record any surface noise, pops and clicks that are present - software can reduce this but also can leave audible digital artifacts. The album tagging etc. normally associated with digital music will likely have to be added by hand. Lastly it has to be done in real time, it will take up to an hour for each album once you have done any necessary edits, etc.............even longer if you process for clicks/noise reduction etc.

My method - shop on internet and rebuy as CD's, generally back catalogue stuff is available for less than a fiver a pop. These can then be ripped as either lossless or for portable player use as you wish.

Reserve the vinyl transfer stuff for music no longer available.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 08-02-2009 6:23 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

My method - shop on internet and rebuy as CD's, generally back catalogue stuff is available for less than a fiver a pop. These can then be ripped as either lossless or for portable player use as you wish.

Reserve the vinyl transfer stuff for music no longer available.

Hi

This is actually how I did (and doing for the moment). Most of the vinyl I own could be bought for about 5 euro and it is not worth the effort to burn them to digital. When I am ready with the buying, there will probably be some left to burn (if I am in the mood).

B R

Clakke

• 08-02-2009 7:47 AM In reply to

dsc8w:

Thanks for all the replies so far, but can someone advise me on the Hardware needed and to where it should be connected to my 5500 system.

David

Here's a useful guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/FromCassettetoComputer_StepByStep.aspx

As others have said use TP2 phono outputs from the amplifier to the sound card and record any source.

David

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)