in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-31-2009 5:48 PM by Clakke. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-28-2009 5:59 PM

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Multiple Apple TVs

Hi all

I have looked around in this forum after a thread about multiple Apple TVs but did not find one, so I decided to create one.

I am right now investigating if I am interested to buy one or two Apple TVs. There are signs in the web that people are using multiple Apple TVs, two or more, and streams iTunes from one computer to them independently of each other. If this would work, you could watch two films at different places at the same time. Is there anybody who has several Apple TVs at home who can say something about this?

Another quick question: Does iPhone/iTouch remote works if you connect the Apple TV with ethernet instead of WLAN?

Have a nice evening

Clakke

• 07-28-2009 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: Multiple Apple TVs

Clakke:
    I am right now investigating if I am interested to buy one or two Apple TVs. There are signs in the web that people are using multiple Apple TVs

Hi Clakke,

Take a look at this thread. The poster was running (3) Apple TV's... and the post was just a few days ago, so very timely! 

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-29-2009 12:53 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

Clakke:
    I am right now investigating if I am interested to buy one or two Apple TVs. There are signs in the web that people are using multiple Apple TVs

Hi Clakke,

Take a look at this thread. The poster was running (3) Apple TV's... and the post was just a few days ago, so very timely! 

Hi Burantek

I saw the thread but I can not see any answers to my questions in it. Actually, I saw that thread before I wrote my thread.

B R

Clakke

• 07-30-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi again

Nobody knows or have tried this? Someone here should have tried, I believe...

Have a nice evening

Clakke

• 07-30-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

I don't have 2 Apple TV, but I own a iMac, macmini and macbook. I suppose AppleTV works throught of shared libraries like the rest of mac. I can get the shared libraries of my Macmini from my macbook and imac without problem at the same time. Sure 2 AppleTV can do it.

With respect to iPhone... It's not important if you connect the Apple TV with ethernet instead of WLAN. The really important thing is that AppleTV connects to the same LAN.

I have this have help you.

Luis

• 07-30-2009 7:12 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Luigi:

I don't have 2 Apple TV, but I own a iMac, macmini and macbook. I suppose AppleTV works throught of shared libraries like the rest of mac. I can get the shared libraries of my Macmini from my macbook and imac without problem at the same time. Sure 2 AppleTV can do it.

With respect to iPhone... It's not important if you connect the Apple TV with ethernet instead of WLAN. The really important thing is that AppleTV connects to the same LAN.

I have this have help you.

Hi Luigi

Thanks for the answer.

Does not Apple TV only use the iTunes library? Is the iTunes library a normal shared library then?

How would this work if you use iPhone/Touch as a remote? Say you have two Apple TV, how would you know which one you start a film on?

I used to run remote on airport express, and as far as I know that system can not play anything else than iTunes is playing. Now I am using beoport and iTouch to control iTunes.

B R

Clakke

• 07-30-2009 7:45 PM In reply to

I researched this some time back. I wanted one ATV to run Boxee for video and one for music.

For one you can have multiple ATVs connected to a single Itunes Library and sync with it. That is no problem, google it if you have doubts. The Iphone Remote App if I recall correct has to be paired with the ATV so you would have to pair it again each time you want to change.

I believe there should be an upated ATV version coming some time soon .... its not rumored but in my opinion this is way overdue.

For video unless you want to rent it is definitive a sub par solution ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-31-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

As I said I think AppleTV connects to iTunes to view TV programs, films converts to AppleTV format... to listen to the music but only one librarie. That system works through shared libraries like it does between mac. So, I guest AppleTV can connect to differents libraries if there are more than one mac (itunes) turn on. This will appear in menu screen.

I was thinking  to buy AppleTV but It wasn't sure. I think all the movies must be included into iTunes in the correct format, then it's not for me. I prefer a to keep Macmini always turn on to be able with beoport. For the rest of computer I use Time Capsule, I don't use shared libraries because I have a only librarie on Time Capsule for all computers.

When I share libraries I have to turn on Itunes on every mac, but I can play differents songs on every mac. Then I think that AppleTV will do the same.

iPhone controls iTunes, so you can control differents iTunes, and now AppleTV. If you have an airport express connected to a iTunes, your iphone will control this iTunes and the sound out of Airport Express. But the Aiport Express can be linked to differents iTunes, ok?

I have an aiport express connected to my BV3-32 but with optical cable (converted to coaxial). Only I use it to play DTS songs. iTunes can play DTS albums and it is fantastic. I use normally Beoport with my BC2, but when I want to listen DTS songs I press V.Aux o AV-V.Aux.

I hope I could have helped.

Luis

• 07-31-2009 9:52 AM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi

Maybe I should explain a bit more about my plans. I will soon have two TV sets and I want to connect them to Apple TV. If there is a possibility to stream to them from one iTunes independently of each other, then I think I will buy two. On the other hand, if they can not work independently, I think it would be best to split the HDMI from one Apple TV.

I will not use Apple TV in sync mode.

What do you think?

B R

Clakke

• 07-31-2009 11:41 AM In reply to

That should work. Just don't expect to "stream" videos to 2 ATVs at the same time, that requires lots of bandwidth. Just note that the Iphone remote can be linked only to 1 atv if I am not mistaken.

To use ATVs over splitting the hdmi makes much sense in your scenario to me. This is how I would do it as well, except that I have a network attached storage and boxee.tv which beats the ATV and Itunes combination

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-31-2009 5:20 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

I think iTunes works like a hard disk. Sharing librarie is the way to get media to differents macs. So, I think it will work on AppleTV. Each AppleTV will get independently the sources.

That should work. Just don't expect to "stream" videos to 2 ATVs at the same time, that requires lots of bandwidth.

It depends of the router. The most popular routers are defined by the 802.11b and 802.11g protocols. It operates at a maximum bit rate of 54 Mbit/s. The 802.11n up to 600 Mbit/s.

AppleTV and news Mac uses 802.11n protocol, but it is necessary a specific router (802.11n) like Time Capsule, Airport Extreme,...

In this situation the router is very important to stream to differents devices.

Just note that the Iphone remote can be linked only to 1 atv if I am not mistaken.

You can save differents configurations in the Remote Application (iPhone). You can select the device you want to control: Macmini, macbook,...

Luis

• 07-31-2009 5:48 PM In reply to

• Clakke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-01-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 108
    • Bronze Member

Hi Luigi and jk002

Thank you for you answers, we are almost there now, I think...

If I was going to run wireless, I would use my Time Capsule. However, I have the intention to connect via ethernet to Time Capsule. That should be better.

If I understand you correct, it should be possible this way (if congestion is removed due to the faster ethernet).

B R

Clakke

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)