in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-31-2009 3:02 AM by Stars. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-28-2009 6:38 AM

BeoTime - what are they selling here?

BeoTime - what are they selling here? A flute? Oh my good, BS6 designer designed it. It looks horrible to me. Where are new ideas?

And only powered by battery? For such amount of money it should be solar powered like may calculators are for long time. And it would be good for nature too.

• 07-28-2009 7:16 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoTime - what are they selling here?

Another piece of junk?

• 07-28-2009 7:33 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

We were going to get a couple from B&O to review and then give away on BeoWorld..

Would have been nice, but it never happened.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-28-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

New ideas ?
    - Show me another bedside clock looking like this.

.. should be solar powered
    - In a bedroom ?

You are entitled to have your opinion on the design and you are free to
    buy something else if you don't like it. I'm curious so please do let us know what you choose.
    I actually like the new Beotime. Clearly not a design you will find anywhere else
    and I seem to prefer batteries to f.e. mains driven clocks, simply because of the reliability but also to
    get rid of leads running everywhere and the eventual external transformer.
    Just remember to programme something to remind you of replacing the batteries in good time.

Martin

• 07-28-2009 7:57 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I can't help thinking "I wish they'd spent the time and effort elsewhere"!

It seems to me that you do products like this when you're on top of your game with your other stuff.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-28-2009 8:05 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

I like the design... I think when I first wake up it seems logical to have a button on the end of it to press in order to turn it off. I also like that it has a magnetic holder that you can stick up above the bed....

Though the system we have does already have this functionality, I think it is a cute interface.

Additionally it makes a good ready to grab weapon in case the other half is snoring.

• 07-28-2009 8:54 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Although I like the concept and functionality - and can see how it will appeal to many - I can't stand the design at all. Will never oust my Stark alarm clock.

Also, as I don't have any other B&O kit in the bedroom, it's slightly pointless for me. The key point of having this is that it can turn on your TV?

I still think they should have brought out the Beosound 3 as a alarm clock. Slightly shorter, controllable alarm etc.

• 07-28-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

Although I like the concept and functionality - and can see how it will appeal to many - I can't stand the design at all. Will never oust my Stark alarm clock.

Also, as I don't have any other B&O kit in the bedroom, it's slightly pointless for me. The key point of having this is that it can turn on your TV?

I still think they should have brought out the Beosound 3 as a alarm clock. Slightly shorter, controllable alarm etc.

Surely an important basic function of any alarm clock is the fact that wakes YOU up.  If you are in bed with a partner and you have to get up to go to work, the alarm sounds, you switch it off and get out of bed, hopfully without disturbing the other person too much.

Ok if you wake up alone and then want the lights to come on and to watch/listen to a bit of TV before climbing out or leaving the bedroom.

Now I know some people like to get up to the sound of music rather than a buzzer or bell but as the Beotime is for a niche corner of the total alarm clock market who may be willing to pay the asking price, surely only a fraction of that tiny market will have B&O TVs and controllable lights in the bedroom and imporantly, want to be woken up by them?

• 07-28-2009 10:00 AM In reply to

They should have just given the beosound 1 ML and these features.

Beosystem 7000/6500- Beolab 4000 - Beosound 1 - A8 - Earset 3 - Beo4

• 07-28-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

Or bring back 2-way communication to display time on Beo4 and Beo5 and make timer programmings on their screens, like was the case 20 years ago..Stick out tongue

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 07-28-2009 12:22 PM In reply to

I don't know either.

I guess it's a bit too new for me.

I let the Beosystem 6500 handle the wakeup calls with music.

• 07-28-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I quite like it myself. I'll be buying one for sure and probably wall mounting it.

The very fact we're talking about it is good from their marketing perspective! Laughing

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-28-2009 1:25 PM In reply to

Well I think it is wonderful - shame we didn't get one to review but it looks wonderful - and unexpected. I think the flute design is inspired - and will getting one myself.

• 07-28-2009 5:05 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

It's sad that B&O left out "Light" as an alarm source ... but the interface realy looks smooth and clean. The wake up chime sound a little harsh as you can hear in this (german) video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPTe7_ao90k&feature=player_embedded

Oh and there's a misinformation in this video because the german reviewer tolds, that it can wake you up with light, which is not true! I emailed Bang & Olufsen and they replied that it is not possible to use "Light" as an alarm source.

But it seems to be a great new toy :-)

• 07-28-2009 5:39 PM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

But it seems to be a great new toy :-)

If that's the case then I suggest B&O enter the real toy market!

• 07-28-2009 7:21 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

TWG:
    The wake up chime sound a little harsh as you can hear in this (german) video:

I'm pretty sure that harshness is just the video guy cranking the mic gain a little too high and then moving the camera mic too close to the alarm which resulted in the harsh bell sound.  it also sounds like the chime got louder with each "ring" which also created the harsh sound on the already overly sensitive microphone.  You can tell that the first ring isn't as "harsh" as the last.

-Michael

• 07-28-2009 8:31 PM In reply to

Michael:

TWG:
    The wake up chime sound a little harsh as you can hear in this (german) video:

I'm pretty sure that harshness is just the video guy cranking the mic gain a little too high and then moving the camera mic too close to the alarm which resulted in the harsh bell sound.  it also sounds like the chime got louder with each "ring" which also created the harsh sound on the already overly sensitive microphone.  You can tell that the first ring isn't as "harsh" as the last.

Well, the audio was terrible! No question about it...

You were both participants in this thread. Confused

The chime is straight out of a Serene... my guess is that other optional chimes [likely] are from the same library... Steel, Bronze, Wood.

The chime used in the video is "Steel 1." I wake up to it (almost) every morning. Sounds like B&o lifting and reusing established SW. Very economical, and dare I say: It works!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-29-2009 4:48 AM In reply to

I do like the design and I'm curious how it feels and handles, it's more of a "beo6" remote with wake-up function and perhaps I can remove my beo4 from it's wallbracket and replace it with the beotime ? I sould be able to control our LC2, our BV3.32 and our link speakers BL4500 :-)

the sound will be no different for us though, I allready hear the same sound every morning from my serene and this sound is really not to disturbing but will certainly wake you up !!

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 07-29-2009 6:39 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

burantek:
    You were both participants in this thread. Confused

I think you are just experiencing a keen sense of déjà vuStick out tongue.  In fact so are the other people posting in this thread. We are not really here...  It's all a conspiracy... We are all LOST in... BeoTime!

Travel

Paradise

-Michael

• 07-29-2009 8:24 AM In reply to

Michael:
    I think you are just experiencing a keen sense of déjà vuStick out tongue.  In fact so are the other people posting in this thread. We are not really here...  It's all a conspiracy... We are all LOST in... BeoTime!

Laughing

To be honest, I often get lost through all the threads! So much cross-posting.

At any rate...

kokomo:
    surely only a fraction of that tiny market will have B&O TVs and controllable lights in the bedroom and imporantly, want to be woken up by them?

Good point.

I have neither... In fact, I only have (2) Beos in my bedroom: BM1000 and a BS5000 -both predating BL1000 and ^ control. For the BeoTime to make any sense, I will have to do some rearranging and put something newer in place. Of course, that has always been half the fun for me. Regarding the feel of the device, I think it looked really good in the video, and that is an area B&o rarely gets wrong! I suppose I will end up with one.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-29-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

It will have a magnetic effect on window shoppers, as they will have to enter the shop to find out what this is - and walk out again with the necessary gear in order for the flute to work... Big Smile Simply clever marketing and clever branding.

Do we need one? Probably not. Do we want one? Probably. And the price? Probably the most clever part. 

And if you have kids - this is probably the best flute in the world for your bedroom. 

I will probably have one, too. Did you know that the Danes probably makes the best beer in the world, too?

Roger

• 07-29-2009 3:24 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Roger:

Did you know that the Danes probably makes the best beer in the world, too?

Roger

OT but................. advertising apart, there a more than a few chaps in Newcastle who will be prepared to argueStick out tongue

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-29-2009 4:28 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Carlsberg or Tuborg?

Stefan

• 07-29-2009 8:42 PM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

Puncher:

Roger:

Did you know that the Danes probably makes the best beer in the world, too?

Roger

OT but................. advertising apart, there a more than a few chaps in Newcastle who will be prepared to argueStick out tongue

I can imagine, Puncher, that the Danes in order to support their marketing claim had probably applied the binominal probability and the derived formulas (where the 'n' represents the no. of beers successively drunk, ie no. of trials, etc.). However, as you instinctively yet correctly pointed out the calculated probability of 'being the best' can be correlated to the beer brand used for the experiments : as n begins to reach double digits this correlation climbes to 1 ... rendering the results doubtful.

Big Smile

As to the clock, I think it does look interesting in a likeable way.

• 07-29-2009 10:48 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Does the new beotime control past b&o pieces like the beo4 does? And was there an official price announced?

Thanks everyone.

Evan

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >