in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-16-2010 5:58 PM by mormel. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-27-2009 7:23 AM

Testing speakers

Hi all,

Might be a stupid question but I can't really find a good answer anywhere: I have a couple of s45 on which I suspect the midrange drivers to be not working. The speakers seem to sound OK, but I always found them kind of thin. The midrange drivers don't really vibrate when playing, so I thought they might be broken...

How can I test these units and see if they really work? use a 1,5 V battery and see if they pop?

Thanks in advance!

CJLaughing

• 07-27-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

Re: Testing speakers

Nevermind, I think I found a good way:

the test samples at dr-lex.be work great, frequency sweeps from 16 to 20000 Hz, will set every driver in a speaker at work from low to high.

My speakers sound ok, but I have one S75 with a dome tweeter (the bigger one of the two smallest) that does not seem to move.

Battery test a good idea?

• 07-27-2009 1:20 PM In reply to

Not sure that I would test a dome tweeter with a battery. If it moves a bit with music, I would look at the cross over first.

• 07-28-2009 1:52 AM In reply to

Easy test: get an FM radio which is not tuned into any station so you have the static ''hiss'' (''ruis'' in NL).

Than keep your ears close to each speakerunit and move your hand over it in and out so to say, if you're not sure if the unit is working.

It's easy to hear if a unit is working in this way...:) and also to compare speakers and check for polarity.

Btw not sure if what you see as midrange could also be the phaselink unit (which hardly makes noise, also with static, because of a small bandwith).

• 07-28-2009 2:50 AM In reply to

Hi Paul,

That's a smart one, I figured that out already but playing music it is real hard to hear the 'wah' effect you get when you move your hand over the speaker.

Your static noise trick really worked well, and the s75 dome tweeter is definitely dead. Time to figure out why!

By the way, the midrange in the S45  I'm talking about is indeed the phase link unit (medium sized speaker in the middle). I never thought about it that way, I really used the wrong terminology I guess. Thinking about it, that makes it quite logical that it won't make much sound/doesn't move too much. I was all worried I did something wrong in recapping!

Laughing

• 07-28-2009 11:24 AM In reply to

Repaired the driver (actually called a 'squawker', AD0211/sq4 I found out) Through the manual found on http://www.mfbfreaks.com/reparatie/tips/ad0210/index2.htm

Unfortunately in dutch, but no problem for me!

Don't throw these away when found not working!

Laughing

• 07-29-2009 5:37 AM In reply to

Yeah...it's a Philips driver and the 8 ohm version is used in Philips speakerboxes.

One of these guys also repaired one for me one time (since the B&O is 4 ohm which seems to be an ''odd'' version, well, they didn't have a replacement but yes: it can be repaired.

• 02-16-2010 5:58 PM In reply to

Don't think the tweeter is a Philips though. I'm sure it's a Philips in a S45, but they don't seem to be the same.(what a suprise :) )

I'm looking for a replacement atm for one tweeter of S75's I have here. The crossover was burned out and one tweeter didn't survive. I've tried to solder the broken leech, but the solder doesn't seem to stick on the broken leech. It's also very very small..hehe.

Anyway, I even think there are better premorming tweeters on the markt nowadays, but that's a matter of experimenting wich sounds best.

Have you guys already found a new tweeter or replacement?

Bart

Beogram 4000, 4002, 8000, 8002. Sorry, got rid of all the rest.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)