in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-19-2008 4:35 PM by Coolskin. 103 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-23-2007 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: Where is Beosound 5

That's the theory and I don't notice one way or another.  However, two weeks ago there was a big dust up on these boards about it.  Either that or I'm having a brutal feeling of deja-vu...
  • 10-23-2007 11:40 AM In reply to

MP3 and AAC use psycho acoutics techniques, basically it is removing sounds that you would not hear because they are covered by other more predominant sound.

If you compress a AIFF file (AIFF is the format used on CDs) to ACC and then convert it back to AIFF, then you compare the 2 files with a software, the 2 files are radically different, but they will sound the similar.

If you compress a AIFF file to Apple Lossless, and then convert it back to AIFF, you get the same file back. No loss - at all.

Now, when you read your file, it goes through an Digital to Analog circuit, that may be of a different quality on your CD player than on your MP3 player - hence the perceived difference in quality. But it is not due to the compression.

p.

• 10-23-2007 12:46 PM In reply to

...but here is the big BUT.
    Would it be concievable that if I bought a high-end CD player from Linn, Krell or Chord to name but a few - which were in the several thousand pounds per unit bracket, they would be comparable to the CD reader on my £250 HP laptop?
    Could one argue that 0's and 1's are just that or could one argue that a few 0's and 1's are either added or subtracted depending upon the hardware, the algorithms and internal circuitry design?
    For me, the BS5 or whatever it is must have a decent CD mechanism and D/A converters etc.. if it is to be a flagship product. If it does not, then it is only a replacement for the 3200 or Beomedia1 and by that fact just a convienient toy to listen to casual music. The BL5's will be wasted.
    10%
  • 10-23-2007 2:09 PM In reply to

Please, read carefully the two last post from "wtlc2zpx" all what he is witting there, is 100% correct.

Using lossless format sources will give you exactly the same sound than CD sources in the BL5s, the real key in that case will not be in these two different sources, but in the rest of the BS5 inside sound processing itself.

Santiago

• 10-23-2007 3:37 PM In reply to

• YannChris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Larmor-Plage, France
    • Posts 276
    • Founder

Hello everybody!

BL5 have built-in digital decoders, and I can say there is a HUGE difference when you listen to a CD via Powerlink or via the digital connection, the second being far better than the first (in my setup, I'm using a BC2).

If BS5 has a digital output, lossless files + digital connection to BL5 could be as good as CD, but if BS5 only has Powerlink, it will not let BL5 give the best they can.

This would be a real sin against music, and remove (in my case of BL5 owner) a lot of attraction to BS5.

Yann.

Ne pas s'en faire et boire frais!

Mon install en images: cliquez sur mon profil, au dessus de mon avatar - Puis "My files" tout en bas.

Pictures of my setup: click on my nickname, above my avatar. Then "my files" at the bottom of the page.

• 10-23-2007 5:00 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Mr10Percent:
    ...but here is the big BUT.
    Would it be concievable that if I bought a high-end CD player from Linn, Krell or Chord to name but a few - which were in the several thousand pounds per unit bracket, they would be comparable to the CD reader on my £250 HP laptop?
    Could one argue that 0's and 1's are just that or could one argue that a few 0's and 1's are either added or subtracted depending upon the hardware, the algorithms and internal circuitry design?

In your example, that is no more likely than your HP adding a few 1's or 0's to an Excel Spreadsheet.  When was the last time that happened to you?

The real issue, as always is what does the player do with the data once it begins to create the analog signal.  How accurately does it reproduce the original from the data given?  This is where Linn, Krell, Chord, and others make their business case.  Don't even get me started on Analog/Digital or Tube/Solid State.  Wink

If BS-5 comes into the room as a glorified BeoMedia or an overpriced AppleTV, then that is what it will be, and would be a terrific replacement for the 3200.  If it handles Lossless files of any type, it could replace the 9000 as well.  I want to know how soon it goes after the products from Kalidescape!!

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-23-2007 6:54 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

If the BS5 is to be a flag ship audio system (and the quoted price seems to sugest it is) then it must have a digital out connectiion so that it can be connected direct to the (digital in) on the BL5s or direct to your digital 5.1 sorround sound system. nlb.
  • 10-24-2007 2:16 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

BS5 a flagship audio product? … Hmmm

Suppose one has (besides B&O video products) a few pairs of BL5s around the house (I know I know ... just for illustrative purpose as they are the only ones with dig input) - and a computer:

Opening and playing all those lossless files on your computer, which contain data representing quality audio at least as good as a CD, isn’t the major challenge of today the integration – plus data distribution around the house (similar would go for video)?

I mean what you need here is to get that digital audio signal from your computer to all your BL5s doing all the data conversions, while being able to use the speakers with the rest of your setup? From that perspective, what do you need a flagship audio product for - and/or, given how technology develops, how long time would it stay 'flagship'? Maybe some kind of an interface instead made of illuminating aluminum Smile , perhaps? I’m not that technical hence my layman’s question/doubts/descriptions which I hope can be excused…

• 12-05-2007 3:47 PM In reply to

A glimps of the Beosound 5 is given by B&O herself.

Whistle 

http://bang-olufsen.att11.com/star/Staroftheday.aspx?q=5

Watch the video. In the last 3 seconds you see the long awaited Beosound 5 if you ask me...

No pictures yet on the media gallery of the bang-olufsen.com site.

Filed under:
  • 12-05-2007 3:55 PM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Yeah !

Looks very strange but very interesting !  Stick out tongue

A big wheel and i think a big screen.

But the lack of CD is a pity, isn't it ? 

Why use another  machine to rip CD ?

BS3200 has CD Drive, BS4 too, why not BS5 ?

Must we use only computer to rip CD ? 

• 12-05-2007 4:15 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

If B&O wants a real flagship player, they just have to take out the hardware of these beautifull Classé components and put it in a new box Big Smile. These components cost already 6k a piece, but thats ok if you can buy yourself a pair of Beolab 5's...

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 12-05-2007 4:42 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

What's special about that? Sure it would sound good but it wouldn't be 'special'. There are lots and lots of very special sounding CD players & decks out there, even one or two hard drive based systems. None of them seem to do anything particularly differently though, other than just sounding very good...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 12-05-2007 4:57 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Beobird:

If B&O wants a real flagship player, they just have to take out the hardware of these beautifull Classé components and put it in a new box Big Smile. These components cost already 6k a piece, but thats ok if you can buy yourself a pair of Beolab 5's...

Alternatively, if you can afford BL5's, buy a £150 CD5500 with digital out, straight into the digital input of the BL5's and save yourself £6K.

In't life simple sometimes!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 12-05-2007 6:19 PM In reply to

• petz
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-30-2007
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Hello, you are right about that, I did post it. That was my dealer telling me.

• 12-05-2007 6:42 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

"Extensive research and the use of the very latest materials and movement mechanics technology means that every wheel we develop is always intuitive and easy to use. That was the case when we launched the world's first ever navigation wheel in 1974. And it will be the case when we launch our very latest navigation wheel product (BS5) in 2008"
  • 12-06-2007 4:08 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Alex:

What's special about that? Sure it would sound good but it wouldn't be 'special'. There are lots and lots of very special sounding CD players & decks out there, even one or two hard drive based systems. None of them seem to do anything particularly differently though, other than just sounding very good...

The Classé Delta serie is the top of the line of the top of the line, so I think it's special... It was to me more the point of the hardware in those boxes. B&O should take it out and put it in a new box. The result is a really good looking and sounding top of the line player Smile

• 12-06-2007 4:21 AM In reply to

Beobird:
    Alex:

The Classé Delta serie is the top of the line of the top of the line, so I think it's special... It was to me more the point of the hardware in those boxes. B&O should take it out and put it in a new box. The result is a really good looking and sounding top of the line player Smile

The top player in that stack is a DVD/CD player that I found to be quite top-notch when I tested it out; it's coming in a new version with full HDMI and actually has a good multi-channel pre-amp out that would make it a good choice for people with active speakers. I'd think Beobird has a point, as the internals in the Classés are uncompromising -- though the overall functional design is for use of passive speakers, and the units have been trimmed for that -- which makes Alex' comment also relevant.

However, it doesn't do SACD, which I think they could have thrown into the mix at that price.

BeoSound 5 is closer to what we'll want going ahead than are stacks such as that from Classé, in my opinion. The BeoSound 5 will join Soolos, Kaleidescape, Linn Klassik DS and other systems that offer retrieval of source from harddisk to output point.

I'm looking for a system that will allow high-resolution playback of sound and image music/movies/flash/anyformat -- at the moment I'm quite amazed by what a little Mac mini is capable of in that respect.

I think the Mac mini also illustrates what a challenge other companies have in this field, it's got a CD/DVD player and recorder; it outputs and retrieves from harddisk; it outputs in multi-channel high-resolution surround (not SACD); it's got a very good DVD upsample to HD-ready (haven't tried it on a Full-HD screen, but probably just as good); it is fully integrated with iTunes (duh!); has BlueRay, IR and Wi-Fi; has its own internal harddisk but can be connected to as large a harddisk array as you want, through wireless or ethernet; it has full FrontRow integration and can be used with a variety of remote controls, including Beo4/Beo5.

• 12-06-2007 4:22 AM In reply to

steph:
    But the lack of CD is a pity, isn't it ? 

Yes it would, but at the moment, the information that it hasn't got one is still a rumour.

p.

• 12-06-2007 4:44 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

how much better can BL5's really sound, please some one rationalise this topic! 6 thousand pounds for a source to the speakers that already fool many into thinking it's the real performance...

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-06-2007 5:05 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Dave:

how much better can BL5's really sound, please some one rationalise this topic! 6 thousand pounds for a source to the speakers that already fool many into thinking it's the real performance...

The price for the dvd/cd player is in euro's (in pounds it's about 4500 pounds)... The overal sound will change a bit. Just a bit more detailed etc. Ofcourse their will be no huge difference, but it's just that little bit of improvement that will make the sound a bit better. You can say: "just a bit better for 4500 pounds !!!", and yes the improvement is not much, but for real audio and video enthouciasts it's worth it.

• 12-06-2007 5:08 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

4500 pounds better? I doubt it. Stick out tongue

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 12-06-2007 5:24 AM In reply to

Hmm BS5 looks "odd".. did you see the way the camera pans up while the BS5(?) moves round to reveal its face? the small strip running across the center which look like illuminated white logos for play etc?

Reminds me of the old round mains powered aerial that you could buy! 

• 12-06-2007 8:26 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

And what if they didn't plan on calling it the BeoSound 5? I think we should mention the BeoMaster 5 in this thread to make searching easier in the future.

Roger

• 12-06-2007 8:29 AM In reply to

The CEO calls it Beosound 5...

Today there is only Beosound and Beocenter...

• 12-06-2007 8:38 AM In reply to

What about if there is a return to old seperate systems ala 4500? for the new BM5? and the XX5 being part of a overall system?

Page 4 of 5 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >