in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-19-2008 4:35 PM by Coolskin. 103 replies.
Page 3 of 5 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-09-2007 9:11 AM In reply to

Re: Where is Beosound 5

David:

Gatex:
    The Beosound 5 will be this Samsung http://www.mediasklep.pl/catalog/images/mix/mix49554.jpg repacked as BnO design.

That has got to be the most ridiculous thing anyone on here has ever said. 

Indeed.  They'd never take a piece of junk and try and pass it off as worthy of the name for 10x the price of the original.

Beosound 6 

And stationary system with a hard drive is a crap idea.  No matter how big it is, it will fill up and it will eventually break.  And if I pulled the thing open to discover the HD says Western Digital I would flip the hell out and demand my $5k back.  The SD card system (or better yet a built in, wireless Beoport) is fine for covering the downloaded music.  It's cheap and it'll work and it'll cover the "kids" (or whatever that guy at the top of the last page was alluding to with his "music for the adults" crack) who buy music off the internet.

• 10-09-2007 5:29 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

I´ve visited factory 4 and 5 for the last 4 years. I´m as always impressed by what I see. They really make a great effort to make great hand built products. They care a lot about even very small details. Like the alu production no one makes alu parts of equal quality like B&O etc.

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 10-09-2007 5:43 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Agreed! The impression I get is that while B&O has been known to re-brand things, other companies do this far more than B&O does at present. They're renown for it because of what happened in the 80s, which was B&O's shaky period.

I haven't actually visited the factory, but having owned plenty of other non-B&O kit, and having heard about/seen pictures of the various factories, B&O are the only ones who seem to stand apart! I relish being able to visit the factory as it sounds like an amazing place. They certainly do amazing things! You won't find anything else as well built as a BeoLab 5, or as flawlessly finished as a BeoCom 2 or BeoCenter 6.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 10-09-2007 10:08 PM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

You're so right Alex! So many high end,lifestyle products are re-branded with there own software and so forth. It's just a matter of how well it's done, pulling the ballance of a great product, getting the best resources together. Look at the plasma/LCD market, there are only a handfull of panel makers (Plasma and LCD) but hundred of brands out there for sale. Apple don't make any of there products! computers or iPod's but the research and developement they put into the products pays off because their stuff is great just as B&O's products. It's just a sign of the times, Globalization and outsourcing is done in all markets from clothing, cars to electronics. Even an Enzo Ferrari, some would consider the most elite car to make it into production (not me personally) has a million aspects of out sourcing. It's electronics management system, wheels, tyres, stereo, brakes, ect. You may pay a couple hundred for a nice pare of nikes or Hugo Boss shoes but they don't actually make them, some out sourced sweat shop does. And probably cost 4 to 5% of what you payed for them. B&O can justify what they sell their products at because no other company out there is willing to do what they are capable of doing. BL5's could of sold for twice what they are asking and people would still buy them. Granted some products are pushing it a little (BS6) but people still buy them.

• 10-09-2007 10:29 PM In reply to

As you say, "people still buy them", which is mainly why B&O never drops the prices...

As for BeoSound 6, TBS in his interview said that it is like comparing the VW Touareg to the Porsche Cayenne: OK Torben, but the Porsche is not 5 times more expensive than the VW!! With 4 times fewer options!

Now that B&O is going "solid state memory", I even wonder if BeoSound 5 will have an SD card reader..Serenata & BS6 have no more SD card slot, so...only hard disk & CD drive? And digital radio?  

I already can't justify the price gap between BeoPort & BeoMedia, so if BeoSound 5 is more expensive than BeoMedia, it has to be quite good (or complete) at what it does..

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 10-10-2007 4:30 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-23-2007
    • Posts 223
    • Bronze Member

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/10/samsungs-musicphone-lineup-ready-for-europe/

the samsung version of serenata:

Samsung just got busy with a trio of MP3, AAC, AAC+, e-AAC+, WMA, and WMDRM supporting musicphones: the dual-sliding SGH-i450, slim SGH-F330 with HSDPA, and SGH-F210 swivel stick. Most impressive is the €360/$508 Symbian i450 with Touch Wheel music navigation pictured above. Slide 'er up and you're holding an S60 3rd Edition smartphone with 3.6Mbps HSDPA data beneath a 2.4-inch LCD. Slide 'er down to expose metallic speakers with a B&O ICEpower amplifier and Samsung music UI for controlling the tunes stored in its 35MB of internal memory or up to 4GB on microSD expansion. Sure, Bluetooth A2DP stereo audio, 3.5-mm headphone jack, and FM radio as well. The €260/$367 F330 features the physical music controls of the F300 while packing 3.6Mbp HSDPA, a 2 megapixel camera, and up to 2GB of microSD expansion in a slider measuring just 13.5-mm thin. The F210 then, is a GSM version of the U470 already nabbed by Verizon as the Juke. It offers up to 20-hours of audio playback from the included 1GB storage or microSD expansion -- we hear it makes phone calls too. Sorry US Americans, all these phones are tri-band GSM and set to launch around Europe starting this month.

• 10-10-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

For me the Beosound 5 must have as rumoured and alluded to by Torben Ballegaard Sørensen with Lee a very unique and totally amazing design.

BUT it must have a next generation user interface which was also alluded too. 

This will, IMHO differentiate this product from others both in the range and out there.  We need a new and much more user friendly way to interact with and use converging technology. 

Most people use very small percentage of a products capabilities once at home whereas with B&O even my 7 year old Son can use 90% of my ML’d house, its many products and their functions very intuitively.

I think I might be getting very excited about the BS5!

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 10-10-2007 8:38 PM In reply to

• 10-10-2007 9:41 PM In reply to

i would expect the BeoSound 5 to be very much like this... Perhaps with more exclusive materials and no touch screen. The wheel will be used for searching and navigating.

I actually quite like this product. Might actually be worth exploring.

jazz

• 10-11-2007 7:51 AM In reply to

• Kim.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

The pricetag is probable the same http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/sooloos-to-store-your-lossless-tunes/

hmmmm this article is 1 year old

BM7000,CD7000, MX4000, VX7000,2 BL5000, BL1000, 2 CX50, 2 Beocom 6000, Beocom 2500, Beocom 1600
  • 10-11-2007 11:17 AM In reply to

Kim.t:

The pricetag is probable the same http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/10/sooloos-to-store-your-lossless-tunes/

hmmmm this article is 1 year old

Beosound 5 = 4500EUR

• 10-11-2007 1:26 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Thanks Anders(son)! I´ve been told the same. About design, I don´t think BS5 looks like the product on engadget. BS5 is more like a tablet PC, small and very stylish.

• 10-11-2007 1:40 PM In reply to

Beofan2:
    Thanks Anders(son)! I´ve been told the same. About design, I don´t think BS5 looks like the product on engadget. BS5 is more like a tablet PC, small and very stylish.

Have you seen it?

If so, specs?MP3,Photos,WEB, video etc? (same as BM1?) 

• 10-11-2007 6:06 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

BS5 = audio product I thought! ... so no photo, web, video.
  • 10-11-2007 6:53 PM In reply to

nlb:
    BS5 = audio product I thought! ... so no photo, web, video.
    I do think it should have a web connection, preferably through wifi...
    To synchronize the CDDB info.
  • 10-15-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

jonnyb:
    The development of transparent aluminium was inevitable after Scotty's visit to San Francisco in 1986.

You can see transparent aluminium used on the latest Apple Keyboard here (scroll down):

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/15/review_apple_wireless_keyboard_aluminum.html

• 10-15-2007 3:12 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Yes I´ve seen it. I saw BS5 in a video taken in idealand and on a photo. TBS showed us this at the general meeting september 28. No specs at the moment, sorry....

• 10-15-2007 4:31 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

last weekend, my dealer confirmed me that BS5 would have no CD player. Do you think that is the way to go for B&O? It is somehow contradictory to built some of the best speakers there are, and then built an audio system witch will not supply these speakers with a decent signal, because I am sure the difference betwenn CD quality and mp3 or whatever compressed format will even be bigger than on my BL8000.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-15-2007 5:19 PM In reply to

• nlb
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 60
    • Bronze Member

Great ... BnO have made the correct decision not to include a CD player, this belongs on the PC in the study. But quality of sound signal is all down to the user on how they download or rip! User beware! nlb.
  • 10-18-2007 8:25 AM In reply to

As far as i know Aston Martin uses the micro-perforated aluminium. Unfortunately I do not own one of these beauties, but I am saving... What I'm trying to say here is that the use of micro-perforated aluminium is a great possibility for B&O.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-18-2007 8:36 AM In reply to

nlb:
    Great ... BnO have made the correct decision not to include a CD player, this belongs on the PC in the study. But quality of sound signal is all down to the user on how they download or rip! User beware! nlb.

Not all my CDs are in my music library on my computer, and if a friend comes with a CD, I just want to put it in the CD player and go.

Not everyone will have a PC. I heard recently from a dealer, that 70% of his customers are over 50, and not of the geeky style.

We here tend to belong to the other 30% younger and more interested by the technical side.

p.

• 10-23-2007 4:45 AM In reply to

I'm sorry.
    Somewhere in Beoworld a forumpost was about the beosound 5 with a comment from the dealer.
    The dealer told the beoworld member the Beosound 5 would be a good replacement for the Beosound 3200.
    Can't locate the post though.

Now I can't get it out of my head.....

Does the new Beosound 5 fit between the Beolab 2500 speakers???
  • 10-23-2007 7:33 AM In reply to

Oh the irony... they make speakers which totally kick ass all over town and then they make a head unit that only supports data which, even lossless, isn't as good as the CD it was ripped from in the first place.  Of course, since a ton of people just buy off of iTunes Music Store anyway, the quality is even less.  Go go 128 AAC.  (truth be told, over half my music is in 128 AAC and I don't notice the difference... however I don't have BL5's and my hearing is sort of shot from waaaaaaaay too many heavy metal concerts in my youth)

Of course, it's possible that none of the above is going to happen and we're falling into the trap I like to call "Mac-Fanboy-Dementia" wherein people will try and guess and hope what the next generation of (insert item here) is going to be, and then when it finally comes out, they are disappointed that it didn't have feature X that some random guy pointed out two months earlier as being a MUST HAVE FEATURE. 

wtlc2zpx:

You can see transparent aluminium used on the latest Apple Keyboard here (scroll down):

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/15/review_apple_wireless_keyboard_aluminum.html

Great quote from this article:

Also missing from the previous model is the bagel bits, dust bunny, and stray hair museum that Apple built into its previous keyboards. If you want a crystal terrarium menagerie for collecting gross things around your work area, you'll have to go out and buy one separately

• 10-23-2007 9:33 AM In reply to

Dilznik, just a remark lossless is lossless and is by definition as good as the CD because not a single bit of information has been lost. Just like on a computer, when you zip a file and unzip it... it is always the same file.

An MP3 or an AAC can sound good on its own, but usually it is when you just compare it to the same song on a CD and switch between the two that it become quite obvious.

Page 3 of 5 (104 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >