in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-09-2009 10:02 PM by TripEnglish. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2009 4:40 PM

Dream Products

Thought I'd lay out a few little ideas I've had recently. I think we all play the wishing game now and again, so here's a dealer's perspective on the products I'd like to see, both entirely new and modifications to the existing lineup. I'd like to hear comments and see what everyone else is longing for from the B&O of our dreams!

1. BeoSystem 3 "Standard" & "Pro" Sort of like the MacBook / MacBook Pro distinction. Basically (as discussed in a slightly "political" thread recently) much of our portfolio forces us to go after more and more affluent clientele and while some of us are lucky enough to find them here and there, I believe we've left behind an enormous market that's looking for the BMW between the Kia and the Bentley. BeoVision 8s just don't cut it! So I think that the

BeoSystem 3 Standard should essentially strip out the 2nd monitor output, mux outputs, vision-clear engine (including ACM, etc.) and halt the future inclusion of these sorts of video exotica additions. Whatever brings the price point between $3,000 - $3,700 USD will be fine. Additionally, more robust support for other panels should be a requirement.

BeoSystem 3 Pro should retain existing features, but add the MLGW II as an on-board feature and make the cable groupings interchangeable from standard connections (HDMI, Component, SPDIF, etc.) to CAT-V jacks to make runs to the components in remote locations easier. Baluns would attach to the other ends only reducing the need to hide half a dozen little metal boxes behind the TV (this is especially crucial when the BS3 would be built into a BV7 or a BV9). The intended user would be incorporating the BeoSystem 3 into a larger global system and looking for higher performance and greater integration w/ a home automation system. The price-point could certainly move up to around $10,000 for this model.

2. BeoSound 5 MKII I think the attention that the BeoSound 5 has gotten has been generally good in that even much of the negative criticism describes a few small details that would need to be set straight for the customer to take the plunge. Here's what I've seen as crucial to situating the BeoSound 5 for a good long run as flagship audio master. 

A. Wireless The elephant in the room. Even my most wild and impassioned defenses of the BeoSound 5 have included this caveat. With Apple about to drive us all into another tizzy w/ a 10" iPhone tablet next year I can't really accept any excuse as to why any cables are necessary for the BeoSound 5. Put a battery in the base. Give it a sexy charger (like the Palm Pre w/ no visible contacts). Just do it already!

B. More Sources Interestingly I haven't heard a lot of complaints about how little the BeoSound 5 takes advantage of its interface, which I think is a pretty good one. While we've heard about the upcoming iPod dock that will allow the BeoSound 5 to tap into the content on a docked iPod, I wonder if there isn't a way that the BeoSound 5 could also simply stream from iTunes. This would require a good internet connection of course, but being able to tap into local content, IP radio, as well as other music libraries as sources would be a welcome improvement and also potentially bypass the issue of format compatibility (though maybe not, I'm just guessing here). For those still longing for a CD player, how about a plug in module (sort of like the one I have for my MacBook Air) that can use available metadata to put track/artist/etc on the BeoSound 5 panel when the disc is loaded. If it's accurate, maybe it can even burn it in as well. 

C. BeoMaster 5 Overhaul Putting the BeoMaster 5 in the BeoMedia's case was a damning omen from the start. BeoMedia competes admirably with the BeoSystem 1 for Most Maligned product this decade. It's larger than it needs to be, stingy with memory, and doesn't truly answer the critics who worry that trusting their media collection to its questionable guts is a foolish gamble. If a $99 product like the WD Media can scan and index an attached drive within a few seconds I can't imagine why a $2,500 computer couldn't do the same thing. Yet, remarkably, it does not. Attaching a drive is awkward and generally not worth the hassle. Why not trim some of the fat by making the BeoMaster 5 a $1,000 hub instead of a $2,500 computer? Then it can access the drive of the client's choosing (and for the less savvy client, a HD can easily be supplied by the dealer so as not to involve them in the matter). Smaller, lighter, and more flexible will do.

3. Advanced Menu System The Beo 5 can get cumbersome quickly w/ its tiny screen and the introduction of larger and larger remotes w/ greasy touch-screens seems to be a step backwards. For all of its other faults, the best solution I've seen seems to be the Apple TV. The more we can migrate from the "graphing calculator" remote to the "up-down-left-right-GO" remote the better. Many brands, Sony most notably, has made great strides in developing internal menu systems that are highly engaging graphically and very agile in their response. This seems like the ideal compliment to systems that are getting more complex. A sort of "dashboard" with sources and automation activities that the user could easily edit makes a lot more sense than the half dozen or more layers I have to go into to dim the lights in my bedroom with my Beo 5. Of course I hear that rooms without television still exist so this wouldn't work everywhere, but it's the sort of thing B&O had better get working on.

4. New ALT BeoLab Somewhere between the BeoLab 3 & BeoLab 9. Probably already in development, but worth mentioning the need.

5. Entry Level Audio System Theoretically the BeoSound 5 fills this need, but at $3,000 before you add sound it simply doesn't make sense. Whether or not it takes CDs or what, as a dealer I see a need for something at about $2,500 that has sound and ML capability. That just seems to be the right price.

That's about all I've got. I'm at least reasonably pleased with most everything else as is. What have I missed?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-26-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

Re: Dream Products

my wish list

1-ful digital hd masterlink

2-beosound 5 without any cable

3-can add more beosound 5 to beomaster 5

4-super hdr3 can be inplementat in DVB-hd mode and has many functions (like TiVo in usa)

5-obtaining the beo 5 configuration tool from the official b&o, a chat and support (something like chat on Wednesday with a b&0 tecniciean)

6-ability to obtain new software through the internet for all B & O products

7-and PUC list

if these things become reality in the future, i would be a happy man.
    greetings claudiu
  • 07-26-2009 6:45 AM In reply to

Agree completely about the BS5 - should have been wireless from the very start - and multiple units should be possible.

Other wishes - a dramatic TV - I hope the BV10 is really going to live up to its billing - a cheaper slimmer and better BV5.

• 07-26-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

TripEnglish:
    A sort of "dashboard" with sources and automation activities that the user could easily edit makes a lot more sense than the half dozen or more layers I have to go into to dim the lights in my bedroom with my Beo 5.

That's not a bad idea at all.  The one thing that I can't believe they haven't implemented is an optional timeout function for certain menus.  One of the things that makes the Beo4 so great is that it's ready to go at a moments notice to switch sources.  With the Beo5 you are always left with whatever menu you used last night (or an hour ago) to navigate out of before you can select a new source.  Without an extreme software rewrite you could easily create an optional timeout feature for any menu which could either return to the previous menu or another menu after 10, 30, 60 seconds etc.

This would be extremely helpful in getting rid of extra navigational steps for mundane tasks such as setting speaker 2 to speaker 3 or setting the CD to repeat etc.  The Beo4 already does this with List commands.

Nobody else I've talked to at my dealership (or even on the Forum) sees much value in doing this for some weird reason.  As someone that did DVD interface design before most people had even heard of a DVD I think it's the most obvious missing function of the software.

Please tell me someone else agrees before I start taking my crazy pills again.Confused

I like your ideas Trip and I think the lowest hanging fruit (Read: easiest to implement with most value to the brand)  right now is getting the software worked out in the Beo5 and Beosound5.

-Michael

• 07-26-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Do B&O just need to change everything they are doing at the moment when it comes to their electronics?

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 07-26-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Dave:

Do B&O just need to change everything they are doing at the moment when it comes to their electronics?

In some ways you're right Dave. Although I have no issues with the BL3s, BL9s or BL5s (although I couldn't calibrate mine), nearly every other B&O product I own could be improved.

Two basic examples: Beosound 3 should have had Beo4 control, support AM (as you can't get Five Live, doh) and a programmable or daily alarm. The BV7-40 is big enough to have the RF box integrated and/or should only require one key digital cable to transfer data to another link-room TV. One cable should do everything, even if it's a custom cable.

These aren't 'dreams', they are basic improvements. I'll live with what I have, but they could be better.

Trip/Peter are both very right about the Beosound 5. You do wonder why B&O didn't run a customer forum on this, back in 2007, at early design stage?

• 07-26-2009 10:33 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

True multiroom capability - ie, the ability to distribute digital signals around the house, with multiple sources running at the same time.

MasterLink is all well and good, and has worked brilliantly, but in the last few years, people have increasingly wanted a system which will do multiple sources, and distribute HD/surround sound. The whole idea of a 'master' room and multiple 'link' rooms should be abandoned. It shouldn't matter where in the system a device is plugged in, it can be accessed on every single product.

A two-way remote control with WiFi capability would be nice too. Being able to browse your music on-screen ala Apple & SqueezeBox etc... would really make the BeoSound 5 a killer product.

@Trip - a 'cut-down' BeoSystem 3 would IMO be a very good idea, although I see VisionClear as B&O's true asset when it comes to their televisions - it's what makes the image a Bang & Olufsen, and why to my eyes, BeoSystem 3 & new digital-chassis driven TVs (such as the 8-40) produce an image which is vastly superior to anything else I've seen...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 07-26-2009 10:43 AM In reply to

Hello Trip,

I pretty much agree on your wishes. B&O should exactly focus on those two products:

- Beosystem 3 (integration) which is the best solution to integrate audio, video and gaming. 

- Beosound 5 (digital media) was one of the best designed but most disappointing products from B&O. They should focus on functions that already come in other products. Until then: Apple TV = BeoSound 5 Mark II Wink

• 07-26-2009 10:59 AM In reply to

Claudiu brings up an excellent point about adding additional BeoSound 5s to a BeoMaster 5 which highlights the fundamental flaw in how this two piece system is designed. The BeoSound 5 is just a monitor & mouse. It could really be said that the BeoSound 5 is a software program running on the BeoMaster 5. If the "intelligence" was transferred into the BeoSound 5 and the BeoMaster 5 was just a hub with various inputs, ML, ethernet etc. then the "multiple head units" concept would more likely become a reality. 

And Moxxey, let's add an Aux input to the BeoSound 3! There are a lot of radio formats out there right now, but being able to plug an iPod or a BeoSound 6 (lol) is an absolute necessity!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-26-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

• Sal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-30-2007
    • Indianapolis, USA
    • Posts 261
    • Bronze Member

An entry level beosystem 3 can be just what the Doctor ordered for B&O, good call trip! The best receiver on the market, with the best features.

Now, the krux of the other issues which seem to be plaguing B&O can all be "cured" by what others have said: allow end users to service their products (not repair), but update the PUC, customize settings, etc. And that'll require some massive infrastructure and philosophical changes in Struer.

Finally, as I've said it all along, a proper Beo5, with a much more elegant GUI based (mac and PC) software for end user customization (with the ability to control from it's own IR emitter) non B&O products can be the gateway product for future beophiles.

Sal
    Love B&O, but no longer addicted.
  • 07-26-2009 12:03 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Where is the Post I did this morning?  It said it was being moderated when I submitted it but should I repost?  I'd hate to have to re-think everything I wrote in it.  

-Michael

• 07-26-2009 12:13 PM In reply to

Not sure why it was being moderated! Approved - maybe the mention of pills! Laughing

• 07-26-2009 1:46 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Isn´t the new audio to be launched this season the entry level audio you´re talking about?

It´s not magic - it´s Bang & Olufsen

• 07-26-2009 6:29 PM In reply to

@ Beofan2 - No, the new audio product is going to be the iPod dock that will serve as the "BeoMaster 5" for the BeoSound 5. I haven't heard a definitive answer as to whether it will act as an additional source as well as an alternative. If it precludes the use of the BeoMaster 5 it will truly be stupid. If it augments the system in addition to acting on its own then it will truly be welcome!

But, nothere will still be a gaping hole below $4,200 (the cost of the minimum ML capable system).

@ Sal -  It definitely feels like a culture issue more than a technological one (re: the user access to PUC & programming). The Beo 5 tool isn't too bad as it stands and would need only minor refinements to be released to the public. I'm sure there are dealers that already release it to clients (though I wouldn't know a thing about that!). Total agreement, though, that this should be the case. 

• 07-27-2009 9:34 AM In reply to

anything by jacob jensen and / or before c. 2000

i'd like to see a beosystem 8000 for the new millennium

something truly OTT that makes a defining statement

bno have the stunning beolab 5's , shame they don't have any other gear that matches up to it in the chain

how about a state of the art av music centre w/ built in blu ray , dvd upscaling , wi-fi , hard disk and plenty of hdmi's etc ??

popgear is grate™

• 07-27-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

Have you seen it Trip? If you have please describe it. I guess it will work without BM5 but if not,  that´s of course stupid! But a great idea if you can connect it to BM5 and / or dock your IPod. Do you know who has designed it? My guess is Steffen Schmelling. I recall an interview last summer with him. He told the journalist that he was working on some new audio´s for Beo.

• 07-27-2009 10:13 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

I agree with Peter, BnO needs a killer TV. After all, it's been said that BnO makes most of their profit on TV sales (I would suspect this is due to the TV being the core of a BnO entertainment system). BV8-40 seems to be in the right direction but I'm thinking more on a higher scale, a TV to replace BV7-40 which just doesn't seem to live to expectations.

Gustavo

• 07-27-2009 11:47 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

I agree with Trip's wish list, in particular: Beosound 5 MkII, new ALT Beolab and Beovision for 'BMW drivers'. Yet as far as I am concerned, the following two priorities would come first:

1. Free Beolab speakers: develop a wireless Power Link socket for existing Beolab speakers: speakers placement in large/complex rooms would be so much more convenient without physical link between audio master and speakers (e.g. Power Link connection between audio master and emitting unit, then wireless connection between emitting unit and receiving socket, then Power Link connection between receiving socket and speaker)

2. Free the listener: introduce a two-way remote, in order to conveniently access the BS5 digital music library from where one is enjoying the music (thus not from where the system is physically installed)

And in a later stage:

3. Improve Trip's new ALT Beolab: develop a wireless Beolab speaker (i.e. no need for abovementioned external receiving socket) with a built-in DAC enabling direct digital input (à la Beolab 5)

4. Clean up the cable mess (I know, I am obsessed with clean house design and I do hate cables): implement one single cable for all purposes in order to make wiring a whole house so much less complex (i.e. replace PowerLink, MasterLink, video distribution, wiring between head units and socket units, etc. with Cat.6 and eventually wireless). I agree this means going full digital and that is not for tomorrow. But then start with better cables integration into the stands.

• 07-27-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

Id love to see an In-Ear monitor from B&O, or atleast some type of isolating headphone product. Also, l would love to see the BeoLab series progress further and break some price to performance barriers through refined manufacture and development process. The high prices and sometimes lavish materials are fine, but there are always ways to squeeze more performance out of a speaker. Dont change the B&O sound thoughSmile I like B&O as a Hi-FI company, not lifestyle products (though the lifestyle products are quite appealing, its not my thing).

• 08-02-2009 1:20 PM In reply to

• Beofan2
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-31-2007
    • Fredericia, Denmark
    • Posts 313
    • Bronze Member

I would like to see:

Entry level audio, all digital like BS5

Mid level ALT speaker

High end EDGE LED family, super slim 10 mm max.

Entry level TV

• 08-02-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

More BeoVox speakers for those places you don´t want 230 V. Would also get many to buy decent speakers even if they stay with there old stereo (or new "whatever is high tech this week").

B&O has made some very good passive speakers and I would love to see (and hear) what they can do now.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 08-03-2009 8:14 AM In reply to

My (music) dream product would have been this:

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/naimuniti.html

needless to say minus the naim box.

It has everything bs5 should have had (CD, fm, dab, wireless, iPod interface, ability to stream server stored music files), plus it doesn´t have it´s own harddisk. So no need for (unnecessary) extra ripping, storing and back-upping my digital music on bm5, as I have it on my mac for other purposes anyway. A truly perfect and clever system for a very, very comfortable and future-proof transition from the analogue to the digital age and beyond ... It has everything what bs/bm5 is lacking in my eyes. Sad.

Regards, beoberlin

• 08-03-2009 8:56 PM In reply to

js:

1. Free Beolab speakers:

YES PLEASE!!!!! Stick out tongue

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 08-03-2009 9:40 PM In reply to

beoberlin:

My (music) dream product would have been this:

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/naimuniti.html

needless to say minus the naim box.

It has everything bs5 should have had (CD, fm, dab, wireless, iPod interface, ability to stream server stored music files), plus it doesn´t have it´s own harddisk. So no need for (unnecessary) extra ripping, storing and back-upping my digital music on bm5, as I have it on my mac for other purposes anyway. A truly perfect and clever system for a very, very comfortable and future-proof transition from the analogue to the digital age and beyond ... It has everything what bs/bm5 is lacking in my eyes. Sad.

Regards, beoberlin

I could not disagree with this more!

CD: nearly obsolete, FM: completely obsolete, iPod interface: wait 8 months

No built in storage means that the BeoSound 5 would be DEPENDENT ON ANOTHER DEVICE! I don't know about you, but if I had to have my computer running when I wanted to play a song I'd be a pretty frustrated guy. Now attaching other storage easily is just fine, but streaming as a primary means of play is silly. Too many links in the quality chain to break.

I very clearly laid out a few tweaks (one big one, too) that would make the BeoSound 5 an unbeatable product, but the items above would take us back in time to an unusable device with obsolete capabilities. 

• 08-03-2009 9:41 PM In reply to

Daniel:

More BeoVox speakers for those places you don´t want 230 V. Would also get many to buy decent speakers even if they stay with there old stereo (or new "whatever is high tech this week").

B&O has made some very good passive speakers and I would love to see (and hear) what they can do now.

Not a bad idea at all! I'm not sure B&O sees the value in a freestanding passive speaker, but a few more options in in-wall or in-ceiling would be great.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >