in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-26-2009 6:39 PM by jk1002. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2009 9:15 AM

Apple TV

Hi Folks

Sorry if this request has been asked before, can someone help me or direct me to an older thread.

I'm thinking of getting Apple TV, to go with my 7/40 mark 11 (ie DVI, not HDMI). How good is the HiDef quality? Is there a big range of things to download, and more importantly what cables do I need to have that don't come out of the Apple TV box?

Many thanks to all

Brian

• 07-25-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

Re: Apple TV

hi you coudl use HDMI to DVI cable or the component connection.

I find the content is ok if not a little expensive compared to other companys, you can just download music from another online shop and import it to i-tunes

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 07-25-2009 9:55 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

The content is starting to get pretty good variety-wise.  Atleast in the U.S.  (I actually sneak/hack on to the UK Itunes store occasionally and get content there as well.)  I find the HD quality in general to be good but not as nice as Bluray.  The Audio quality of the HD content is average so every now and then I have to watch Bluray to remember how good it can really be.  

-Michael

• 07-25-2009 4:59 PM In reply to

The quality is serviceable. Some say good. My major problem with it is that if you use it how it's meant to be used you wind up with a hell of a bill at the end of the month. Rentals can be up to $6 for HD! Is it any wonder why Bit Torrent is so popular? I recently put 2 of my 3 Apple TVs out to pasture in favor of WD Media boxes w/ LaCie drives attached. Never been happier. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-25-2009 6:29 PM In reply to

>> I recently put 2 of my 3 Apple TVs out to pasture in favor of WD Media boxes>>

Check out boxee.tv and similar friends. That did breath new life into my Apple TV which I considered to be utter crap earlier.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-25-2009 6:30 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

. Rentals can be up to $6 for HD! Is it any wonder why Bit Torrent is so popular? I recently put 2 of my 3 Apple TVs out to pasture in favor of WD Media boxes w/ LaCie drives attached. Never been happier. 

Just curieus, where do you get the content for your WD Media system from? I presume you have to pay for those as well?

• 07-26-2009 5:41 PM In reply to

Hi, interesting comments above given i was planning to get an Apple TV with the 7-40.

I have a Network attached storage device (synology box) with all my music and data on it.

Plan was to get the Apple TV to be a client for iTunes AND decent selection of film content than SKY incl. trailers.

I was also thinking/consider using Boxee too - would love to be able to get the BBC iPlayer working (resident in UK).

Any comments ? Don't have it today, would you buy it now ? (if you already have SKY HD) ?

• 07-26-2009 6:39 PM In reply to

I would take the 40GB used off ebay and install Boxee on it. There should be a hardware update some time soon I would think, if Apple doesn't tackle this market space somebody else will. 

Check if the ATV is powerfull enough to run Iplayer. I know Hulu and Netflix cause problems as the ATV is a bit undersized. 

ATV on its own is in my opinion worthless, unless you use it for Music only and with the Touch or Iphone as a remote. That they got right I admit.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)