in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-25-2009 2:53 AM by Jon. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-23-2009 8:01 PM

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

A BM8000 question and some pics...

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question I had regarding my Beomaster 8000. I bought one of Martin's cap kits for it, and finally had a little bit of time today to start on it. Anyway, when I took out the tuner board, I found this:

It looks like some kind of dried residue on the board around these two odd (to me) looking capacitors. Now, do you think this is from the caps, and they're going bad, or do you think it left the factory that way with some kind of residue on it, and it's no big deal?

Here's what one of the corners of my living room looks like, hahaha:

I picked up a BC9000 on Ebay. Eventually, it will go in my bedroom. I need to fix the CD player and door motors. I'm using it right now to push one of my Beovox MS150's, which it actually does a decent job of, up to medium loudish volumes. I need to finish fixing the crossover in the other speaker. I can't wait to convert one of my upstairs bedrooms into a workshop so I'll have a good place to put this stuff.

Nevermind my baseboarding please. Finishing remodeling my downstairs is my other very time consuming project. I need to finish the baseboards and electrical outlets in the living room.

The MS150's sound good and clean, though I do feel they sound lean, but every B&O speaker I've heard has. I haven't heard the new ALT speakers, but the BL4, 6, 8000's have, and the BL1's sounded very lean to me as well. I don't think B&O bothered to compensate for the baffle step in response. Just my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for any help you might be able to give regarding the caps on the tuner board.

Jon

• 07-24-2009 4:16 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: A BM8000 question and some pics...

These types of capacitors have nothing in them that can leak out and they
    are normally incredibly reliable components.
    My guess is that it's something that was spilled down from above, next
    to the long black release bar.
    I suggest you desolder the two caps, clean the board if possible
    and mount them again.

Martin

• 07-25-2009 2:53 AM In reply to

• Jon
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2009
    • Posts 138
    • Bronze Member

Re: A BM8000 question and some pics...

Martin,

Thanks for the advice. I'll just clean the board up and not worry about it. Thanks again for the awesome cap kit, by the way! It's so clear with the colored legend and pictures.

Regards,

Jon

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)