in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-17-2009 3:32 PM by beoblok. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-17-2009 8:40 AM

• beoblok
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 80
    • Bronze Member

powerlink to stereo plug

Hello,

I would like to connect active Alesis MK II speakers to a Beovision Avant 32" VHS.

The speakers have a combination XLR/jack input.

Since some time we have a Beocenter 9500 connected to the Beovision, so I use the Beovision's speakers to be able to listen music. (through a converter)

Obviously the idea is to be able to "broadening" the sound by adding the extra speakers which are stored on the attic.. for too long now i figured.

Any useful information is appreciated!

Greetings, Maurice

• 07-17-2009 9:03 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: powerlink to stereo plug

Hi

If you just want to convert powerlink to RCA, just use a standard Din to RCA converter like this: http://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=1403&ML=421

make shure that it has all 4 RCA plugs. I have used this to take the signal from my Ouverture to my Rega amp, driving B&W speakers.

best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-17-2009 11:18 AM In reply to

• beoblok
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 80
    • Bronze Member

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your reply. When it comes to these technicalities I'm a newbie and still have it unclear. The DIN in your link has 5 pins and isn't the powerlink 8 pin? And how in practice does it work with four RCA's at the other end? I assumed I need from the tv output one cable for left channel and one for the right channel.

Thanks, Maurice

• 07-17-2009 11:32 AM In reply to

the best thing to do is contact Steve at  SH

http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando.htm

• 07-17-2009 11:50 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

ChrDH:

Hi

If you just want to convert powerlink to RCA, just use a standard Din to RCA converter like this: http://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=1403&ML=421

make shure that it has all 4 RCA plugs. I have used this to take the signal from my Ouverture to my Rega amp, driving B&W speakers.

best regards

Christian

Why do you need all 4 RCA plugs for stereo audio output?  I can understand if the cable were going to/from an AUX DIN port, but I don't understand why 4 plugs would be needed for PowerLink output.  I have one of Steve's (from Sound's Heavenly)PowerLink to RCA cables (2 RCA plugs) to drive an old stereo from a BeoLink Wireless for outdoor speakers and it works fine.

I guess that's a question - does he want line-level AUX output or variable level PL output (and does he have an open PL port)?  I would think that with active speakers, he would want the variable level PL output so he can control volume with Beo4/Beo5.

Stan

• 07-17-2009 12:02 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

You actually only use 2 of them, but as the signal from powerlink goes via the pins in the DIN cable that usually carries the in-signal, you are certain that you can use the cable. Plus tha fact that these cheap DIN to RCA converters always has all 4 rca plugs...

He wants the variable Powerlink signal, just plug the DIN male in the Powerlink socket of the B&O system, after all, the design of the Powerlink plug is identical to a DIN plug with extra pins.

But Sounds Heavenly will sort all this out if you buy one of their cables I would think.

Best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 07-17-2009 2:30 PM In reply to

Hi Christian,

Yes, you are quite correct that you only need two RCA plugs to get the stereo signal out of the Powerlink socket, but if you have a "generic" cable that is of an unknown purpose, having four RCA plugs fitted is usually a "guarantee" that two of them will work!

However, the best option is always to buy a dedicated cable for the purpose, then you know that you have the right connections.  I can provide a Powerlink to RCA cable (see my banner at the foot of the page for details) that gives you both left and right audio channels from one Powerlink socket.  When using this type of cable, it is easy to integrate the additional speakers, as the volume sent to the non-B&O amplifier will be controlled automatically by the B&O source.  This means that once you have set the volume on the non-B&O amp to a suitable level, the speakers will always be at the correct volume to match the B&O speakers.

I suspect that when B&O developed Powerlink back in the 1980's, they were aiming to prevent integration with other brands of equipment, but it is still easy to combine B&O items with other products in almost any combination with a little bit of thought!

Best regards,

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 07-17-2009 3:32 PM In reply to

• beoblok
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2008
    • Finland
    • Posts 80
    • Bronze Member

Thanks all for your help. It did help!

I've contacted Steve by email and hope to sort it out as soon.

Regards, Maurice

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)