in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-19-2010 4:29 AM by Stefan Zueger. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-15-2009 5:39 PM

Macbook Pro and DAC and Beolap3

Hi,

I've been recommended to get a DAC for my Macbook Pro to use with my Beolab3. Will this improve the sound quality significantly?

I've been suggested Cambridge DacMagic but I think this is a bit too much for what I need as I will use it purely just for my laptop. Any other recommendation (cheaper)??

Thanks you.

Filed under:
  • 07-16-2009 12:22 AM In reply to

Re: Macbook Pro and DAC and Beolap3

A DAC will offer much higher quality analogue input to the speakers than your current inbuilt Mac Pro Laptop analogue inputs.

I'd suggest the very good value for money and small "Devilsound DAC" for about $250 USD.

There's a review at: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Devilsound-DAC-Product-Review

And also: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ramblings_devilsound_virtue.htm

Among other places...

Just plugs into the USB port... presto!

• 07-16-2009 4:12 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

If buying a decent DAC is a bit too much purely just for your laptop, then wouldn't you say a pair of ~£2.5k speakers is far too much? Wink If you really want to make the speakers sound like their price tag would suggest, you need to drive them with a decent source, which is what a decent DAC will give you, as long as you're listening to good-quality content.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 08-07-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

Hi,

How can I control the volume when using a external DAC? Still with MAC volume on keyboard or with apple Remote?

Thanks,

Heribert

BeoVision 8-40 / BeoVision 8-32 / Beovision 6-26 / BeoSound 3200 / BeoSound 1 / BeoLab 3 /  Beolab 6000 / Beolab 2000 / Beoport / Beomedia 1 / 3* Beo4 /BeoCom 5 with VOIP

• 01-19-2010 4:05 AM In reply to

• Klas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Singapore
    • Posts 96
    • Founder

would you be able to connect a DAC like this to an Apple TV (USB port) - given it doesn't have a system preference screen i don't think so but you never know....

Grant me the serenity to accept the B&O I can't afford

• 01-19-2010 4:29 AM In reply to

I presume not.

In Apple TV's standard configuration, the USB-Port is reserved for service access and has no function to the end user.

If you install a functional enhancement like ATV Flash, the USB port is being freed, but only for the use as an external storage medium

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)