in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2009 4:00 PM by moxxey. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-10-2009 3:11 AM

Humming sound and speaker noise Beovision 7-40 MK IV

Hi folks.

My new MK IV makes a distinct but very noticable hummingsound when it is turned on. It sounds about like a hard disk drive going at full speed. I have checked, and the sound is NOT from the internal BD drive. It also does it without dvd mode being active, more specifically when it presents a picture. As soon as the screen is blank, it goes away...

Anyone experienced this?

Also, when I put my ear to my Beolab 9's they are hissing. That was not the case on my MK II and one of the features of such a speaker is that it should not make any such noises when not in use - though active.

Any points of view?

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 07-10-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

Re: Humming sound and speaker noise Beovision 7-40 MK IV

Hi takktakk,

what you hear, are the two fans on the underside of the panel. If the panel is in operation, ensure the two fans for cooling.

Greetings  

Obermurkler

• 07-10-2009 3:57 AM In reply to

Hi Obermurkler!

Thank you. I am aware of the fans, but it it's them they are quite more noisy than on my previous MK II where they could not be heard at all... This sound can even be heard distinctly as a background humming when watching tv and that is not ok... :-)

Don't you agree?

• 07-10-2009 5:02 AM In reply to

Hi takktakk,

i telephoned with B & 0 Germany today. They said only the best fans will be installed in a BV7-40. So when you are looking tv with any sounds the humming shouldn't can even be heard. When it's not, they suggest to call the local dealer to change the fans units.

greetings

Obermurkler

• 07-10-2009 5:13 AM In reply to

Hi Takktakk

I havent notised anything of the above with my MK IV. I will try to have a look (listen) later today and will let you know!

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 07-10-2009 5:17 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

Hi Takktakk

I havent notised anything of the above with my MK IV. I will try to have a look (listen) later today and will let you know!

Thanks both of you!

Ehlerz: When you check, can you also push menu, highlight options, press red then go and check signal information. Does your TV also only output 50Hz no matter the source...?

• 07-10-2009 7:20 AM In reply to

takktakk:

Ehlerz:

Hi Takktakk

Thanks both of you!

Ehlerz: When you check, can you also push menu, highlight options, press red then go and check signal information. Does your TV also only output 50Hz no matter the source...?

I will do that yes, so far i have checked wit analoge and digital TVchannels and both displays 50 hz

• 07-10-2009 7:23 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

takktakk:

Ehlerz:

Hi Takktakk

Thanks both of you!

I will do that yes, so far i have checked wit analoge and digital TVchannels and both displays 50 hz

I just checked with a BluRay movie now. It displays 48 Hz. I thought they normally should display 96... exactly the double?

• 07-10-2009 11:16 AM In reply to

Hi Takktakk

I dont think there is a noise in my tv...cant be sure though, but nothing is apparent..

HOWEVER...i just found out what Moxxey means with audio delay in linkrooms. I have connected my AppleTV to AV5 as this is the only one with analoge audio. The sound in linkrooms are now delayed a bit, as moxxey says, this does not work how it is supposed to. One more thing...WHY cant BS3 downscale ANY HDMI input and display it in linkrooms?? My DVB-module and BD player are both connected through HDMI and can both be displayed in my linkrooms. AppleTV can however not, why is this??

• 07-10-2009 1:05 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

HOWEVER...i just found out what Moxxey means with audio delay in linkrooms. I have connected my AppleTV to AV5 as this is the only one with analoge audio. The sound in linkrooms are now delayed a bit, as moxxey says, this does not work how it is supposed to. One more thing...WHY cant BS3 downscale ANY HDMI input and display it in linkrooms?? My DVB-module and BD player are both connected through HDMI and can both be displayed in my linkrooms. AppleTV can however not, why is this??

Yep, and it works fine on the MKIII, which completely confuses me - what's changed to cause that delay in the MKIV? That audio delay was really frustrating. I'm tempted to keep this (temporary!) MKIII :)

No, you can't show an external Blu-ray player via a linkroom, either, nor the PS3 or Apple TV. Yep, that's very frustrating!

Do you see a slight judder in a Blu-ray movie on your linkroom TV? My BV8-26 would show a slightly juddery picture when I watched a Blu-ray linked to that TV.

BTW, I'm sure I contributed to this discussion saying that I heard hissing through my BL9s connected to the MKIV. Where are those posts?

• 07-10-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

moxxey:

BTW, I'm sure I contributed to this discussion saying that I heard hissing through my BL9s connected to the MKIV. Where are those posts?

I also remember that Moxxey. But I think we have run across a few posts on fairly the same subjects.

I spoke to my dealer today, who has replaced a previous dealer now shut down where I bought my BL 9's. Current dealer says: Previous dealer known for using unoriginal cables to save a few bucks, and this is a known issue with those cables.

So... not to fire up the old cable discussion again, but that was what he said. I myself was unaware that I probably have unoriginal cables, but I most certainly will swap them as new dealer meant that was all it took. Can not say of course if you might have some odd fellow connected to your speakers, but I will at least give it a shot to switch.

• 07-10-2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

takktakk:

Can not say of course if you might have some odd fellow connected to your speakers, but I will at least give it a shot to switch.

Yep, could be the solution. Problem is that the dealer has glued them to my skirting (bottom of wall) Unsure Still won't explain why the slight buzzing was on the MKIV but not the MKIII in the same setup?

• 07-10-2009 6:57 PM In reply to

moxxey:

takktakk:

Can not say of course if you might have some odd fellow connected to your speakers, but I will at least give it a shot to switch.

Yep, could be the solution. Problem is that the dealer has glued them to my skirting (bottom of wall) Unsure Still won't explain why the slight buzzing was on the MKIV but not the MKIII in the same setup?

Well... I guess one could argue that the MK IV is for some reason somewhat different in it's setup? In many ways we would expect it to be. And that such a difference in some way made it more sensitive to what cables are in use...?

Of course that's snapped out of the dark night by me, but it provides a comforting peace of mind for now.... Big Smile

• 07-12-2009 5:18 PM In reply to

Hi,

I too have a new MKIV attached to a mac mini and so when I use the TV as a monitor (with no audio) the humming sound is certainly there and is annoying.  I read in a previous post that it might be worse when the TV is hung off the wall.  I am still undecided about whether to complain to my dealer.

David

• 07-15-2009 4:58 AM In reply to

d4vidl4ur4:

Hi,

I too have a new MKIV attached to a mac mini and so when I use the TV as a monitor (with no audio) the humming sound is certainly there and is annoying.  I read in a previous post that it might be worse when the TV is hung off the wall.  I am still undecided about whether to complain to my dealer.

David

My dealer has now brought this in as a major issue, with bno and await their response. I will keep you all posted on events. 

One more thing as I am going on anyway: As some of you may know there is an issue with the MK IV where it displays 50 HZ output on Signal Information during tv and 48 on BluRay which is exactly half of what it should be. Latest from bno on this: The panel is a 100 HZ panel, and would not even be able to display a 50 HZ picture. The information in the Signal Output field is wrong (output is 100 HZ) and the latest software fixes this bug.

• 07-23-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

Hi all

Just to let you know

I have the humming noise aswell, but only when turning on appletv connected through HDMI. Does anyone know if the latest firmware solved this problem??

• 08-02-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

Hi Moxxey

I just wonder if your replacement MK IV is better than the first one ? You mentioned that the sound delay is still there, but what about hummingnoise, and the other things you mentioned earlier?

• 08-02-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Humming noise is still there. However, it's so quiet - and I sit quite far from the TV - it's acceptable for me. Besides, I only notice it if I switch to the PS3 and I've forgotten to switch the PS3 on (as an example).

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)