in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-22-2010 1:18 PM by Bv7Mk3. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2009 5:02 PM

Beovision 7-40 MK IV BluRay - Frist impressions at home

Hi all of you!

Today the most terrific of all terrifics occured at my house as I unrapped my brand new Beovision 7-40 MK IV with BluRay.

It is still just set up "out of the box", and I did not make any adjustments to the picture yet - well knowing that some of you find that to be improving.

One thing is a bit strange. I have been somewhat unsatisfied with my 7.4 in my previous MK II setup. Not that it was bad in any way. It just was not...mindblowing. And at its price it should be. Now, with the MK IV sending it signals it seem to suddenly have come alive. It is much more detailed and suberb. Is my mind playing me tricks, or could someone please explain...?

The Blu-Ray player needs (as they all do) a little time to fire up, and it is more noisy during startup than the Pioneer of the MK II was. As I understand the one in the MK IV is the Samsung BD-P2500?

The picture is great. I have a satellite dish, and my signal is digital. I can see that some channels are a bit blury so to speak, but most are really great. HD channels are a blast. Colours are a bit intense, but I guess that might just be 100/120 Hz Full HD vs 50 Hz HD Ready...

Anyway - first impressions are really good. Anyone who tweaked and turned on their set - please give recommandations or share experiences you have made.

One more thing - I have noticed some forum issues related to link trouble. My set is not linked, as I use Apple stuff for all those things (not linking picture) so on that issue I do not have or plan to get any experiences :-)

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 07-08-2009 5:46 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beovision 7-40 MK IV BluRay - Frist impressions at home

takktakk:

Anyway - first impressions are really good. Anyone who tweaked and turned on their set - please give recommandations or share experiences you have made.

Mine is back with my dealer and I have a new MKIII in it's place. SD is definitely better than on the MKIV. HD is worse though. A HD picture on the MKIV was about 15% better, sharper and more defined than this MKIII. However, I still think the MKIII has a decent balance between a decent SD and excellent HD image.

Blu-ray drive was noisy, which was frustrating, but what I found more frustrating was having to press yellow+button on the Beo4, to control DVD playback. I can live with the former, but hope they do something with the latter.

My linkroom issues have gone since the MKIII was installed again last week. That might have just been a problem with that MKIV, which was a lemon. I'll test again when the new MKIV is here next week.

The only 'tweak' (apart from turning off film mode) is to *increase* the sharpness. I increased mine to 18 (from 14), someone else said they'd done the same - bizarrely that seemed to both improve the HD and SD picture!

• 07-08-2009 6:27 PM In reply to

Thank you for sharing. I do hope you get things settled with your set.

Could you tell me please where I can find the film mode setting? I can not seem to locate any such default mode settings.

• 07-08-2009 7:37 PM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Film Mode!!
    I was under the impression that the BV7-40 did'nt suffer from this problem, only the BV8-40 did?? I'm taking delivery off my new BV7 this weekend hopefully? (without any bluray or DVD player).

• 07-09-2009 3:00 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

splud:

Film Mode!!
    I was under the impression that the BV7-40 did'nt suffer from this problem, only the BV8-40 did?? I'm taking delivery off my new BV7 this weekend hopefully? (without any bluray or DVD player).

It has the film mode option in two places, in the engineer service menu and the customer service menu!

• 07-09-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

it's a bit much you have to into a service menu ( with all the hazards that presents to the untrained ) just to get the picture looking good

on a tv costing nearly £8k !

will the bv10 be more like the good old bno tv's of the past ??

popgear is grate™

• 07-09-2009 9:13 AM In reply to

Hi All

I have now had my MK IV for about 2 weeks, and this is my experience.

In contrast to Moxxey´s tv, i have had ONLY one thing that bothered me and that is related to the stand AND will be fixed shortly.

OTHERWISE....

Perfect digital picture: Use the internal DVB-HD module, flawless !!

Perfect linkroom signals, both sound AND picture, regardless of BR, DVD or anything else playing.

BD drive makes a little noise and is a bit slow.... SO F...... WHAT???, makes NO diferent in the overall experience of at TV that is supposed to display a good picture. Furthermore, is is very silent during playback..(take a PS3 for instance, is is almost impossible to hear the sound comming from the tv during playback)

And yes, DVD´s also look very very good on the screen...

SO moxxey, we can only hope that you will get a working tv this time...and may i suggest that you let your dealer do the setup, that way, they cant blame you for doing something wrong..

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 07-09-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

moxxey:

My linkroom issues have gone since the MKIII was installed again last week. That might have just been a problem with that MKIV, which was a lemon. I'll test again when the new MKIV is here next week.

Well, maybe this is because BS3 does not have to downscale anything whan you only play SD content. My MK IV had NO trouble downscaling HD channels, BD signals or anything else ON THE FLY... Yours had issues with this, so lets hope that is also solved on your replacement tv..

• 07-09-2009 9:48 AM In reply to

Ehlerz:

Perfect digital picture: Use the internal DVB-HD module, flawless !!

BD drive makes a little noise and is a bit slow.... SO F...... WHAT???, makes NO diferent in the overall experience of at TV that is supposed to display a good picture. Furthermore, is is very silent during playback..(take a PS3 for instance, is is almost impossible to hear the sound comming from the tv during playback)

And yes, DVD´s also look very very good on the screen...

FINALLY something POSITIVE :-D

Thank you for that input Ehlerz! My impression is also that the BD makes some noise during startup, but that is quite normal for some reason i do not know of. Do you know if yours has the most recent SW?

Also I am curious about two more things: DVB-HD module. I have a sat dish, and told the dealer to supply the DVB-S module. It seems he has not gotten around to that. It is my only option with a dish, isn't it? Also I have HD channels. Do you know if the DVB-S will support that (Conax)?

Also - the 10 000 dollar question: Did you, or did you not, do anything to any system settings at all? Sharpness, Film Mode or other?

• 07-09-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

Hi Takktakk

The noise is because the BD drive spins much Much faster than an ordinary DVD drive. That is the official explanation from B&O themselves.

I guess your satelite should work in the build in digital tuner, as it is a combined DVB T/S/C/HD.

As you see in the upper right corner, the third and lowest antenna input is used for sattelite, this will probably require you to by a CA module for your card and place this in the inbuild cardreader (Dont know if this is the way with sattelite, can someone maybe confirm?)

And finaly, no i did not make any changes, at least not yet. I am still in the process of learning and obseving everything.

• 07-09-2009 10:23 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

it's a bit much you have to into a service menu ( with all the hazards that presents to the untrained ) just to get the picture looking good

Sometimes you go way to far Flappo. The HD picture on this BV7-40 MKIV is almost unbeatable, £8K TV or not. Also, you can turn it off in the customer service menu, easily.

It's turn to 'AUTO' as default and doesn't disturb everyone - some people prefer the film mode. It's only a film mode Flappo.

Can we stop this 'B&O's TVs aren't good enough' rant across every discussion point as you're about the last person (apart from 355f) who keeps ranking about PQ. Have you found anyone that says that the BV8-40 PQ is sub-standard?

• 07-09-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

SO moxxey, we can only hope that you will get a working tv this time...and may i suggest that you let your dealer do the setup, that way, they cant blame you for doing something wrong..

The dealer always sets up my BV7-40 -> it's too heavy for me to handle.

• 07-09-2009 10:25 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

takktakk:

Hey, to be fair, I was only 'negative' as my MKIV was a disaster. Seriously. That and the fact that no-one from B&O ever apologises.

• 07-09-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

moxxey:

takktakk:

Hey, to be fair, I was only 'negative' as my MKIV was a disaster. Seriously. That and the fact that no-one from B&O ever apologises.

I know moxxey, I know!

As much as I find it disturbing to hear about all the flaws and problems, it is by no means my intention to go after anyone in person. Your experiences and frustrations are important, and this forum is the exact place to vent them.

I only meant when such a high end product gets all that negative feedback from a brand we all love(?), then that is indeed sad and disappointing. So when Ehlerz had something good to say, and really nothing negative, that was most welcome :-)

Also - that is where I am at myself. To be honest, I can not really even se the big difference in my picture with Film Mode turned off or in auto...

• 07-09-2009 1:12 PM In reply to

to prove i'm not being ultra negative , i will say the rear connections are superb

3 scarts AND 2 components !! that's without the hdmi's

impressive - i can't think of any other tv with connections like that

popgear is grate™

• 07-09-2009 6:31 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

takktakk:

moxxey:

I know moxxey, I know!

The other (small) thing is that the MKIII had absolutely zero issues by the time I traded it in. The MKIV had a collection of small issues (and some major) that shouldn't have happened - the MKIV should have been perfection, as they were building on a solid platform of a sw 5.08-based MKIII :)

• 07-10-2009 3:59 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

The other (small) thing is that the MKIII had absolutely zero issues by the time I traded it in. The MKIV had a collection of small issues (and some major) that shouldn't have happened - the MKIV should have been perfection, as they were building on a solid platform of a sw 5.08-based MKIII :)

Not intended as a criticism Moxxey, but I am constantly amused how the term 'issues' has now become the almost universally adopted word  when 'problems' would be more to the point.

In our touchy-feely world there are no problems for example with people, only 'issues'.

And don't even get me on to the subject of 'massive'................!!

Right, that's me off for a well deserved lie down.

Devil

• 01-22-2010 12:27 PM In reply to

splud:

Film Mode!!

Sorry to drag an old thread back from the dead.  Is there any cosmetic difference between the BV7 with and without bluray?  Is the aluminium semi-circular protrusion that would usually move to eject the DVD still there?

• 01-22-2010 1:02 PM In reply to

Hi Csmager...yes there is a diffrence between the Bv 7 with Dvd/Bluray and non Dvd/Bluray.

The Non Dvd/Bluray Bv 7 tv does not have the Dvd drawer front on the Tv,it is misssing and is flat all the way accross!

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 01-22-2010 1:12 PM In reply to

Bv7Mk3:

The Non Dvd/Bluray Bv 7 tv does not have the Dvd drawer front on the Tv,it is misssing and is flat all the way accross!

Thanks - I thought that might be the case.  I think it looks better with the aluminium drawer - but with Bluray being a £1,500+ extra, it seems a lot to spend for something cosmetic (as I'm not really likely to use the bluray player much).

Does anyone have any ideas if an when a Mk5 update might be due?  Wouldn't we expect to see the LED screen as used in the BV10 at some point?

• 01-22-2010 1:18 PM In reply to

Have to play the waiting game on that one but im sure it will happen!

Yes the tv looks so much better with the dvd door on it! Maybe they do a dvd only still option? would be cheaper maybe?

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)