in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-22-2009 5:07 PM by beo-ap. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2009 4:41 AM

Lighting Controls???

What system is everyone using to control their lights as far as on off and dimmers go??   I have wanted to set a system up but so far have no idea what system is the preferred way to go in regards to working with the B&O remotes...

THANX

andy

• 07-06-2009 3:59 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Re: Lighting Controls???

i am using the lutron b&o pieces. . .

they're very nice and work generally pretty well

i'm happy with them

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 07-06-2009 5:11 PM In reply to

I do not know much about the system??  Is it possible to provide a link and a price list??

THANX

• 07-06-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

If you've not already done so take a look at this thread in the General Forum.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/27465.aspx

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-06-2009 9:59 PM In reply to

The general thread doesn't help much as most products do not seem to work in US with the different power and frequency.

The Lutron Grafik eye system is expensive and tricky to install. For most I would think a simple table lamp dinner would do.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-06-2009 11:13 PM In reply to

Lutron Grafik Eye was a very expensive solution for me....so...I decided to buy Lutron Maestro for 25$ at Home depot store. Now I  have total control with my Beo5( dim, switch on/off and step by step).

Just use Beo5 software:  go in Accesory box and Add Lutron Maestro!! Job done in 3 min...

all sold!

• 07-07-2009 12:45 AM In reply to

The problem with the Lutron solutions are that they are expensive and/or do not work with most B&O remotes (Beo5 excepted, as it's programmable). Other choices are available, however.

1) Find a B&O LC1 light controller, sometimes they appear on eBay. Going prices for good used ones between $150-200.

2) Buy a compatible dimmer from Europe and connect it to a step-up transformer in the States. Several European manufacturers make units that are almost identical in function to the B&O LC1 and LC2 - search the General Forum.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 07-07-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

Step up doesn't work unless you step down past the dimmer or buy a european lamp. ;-)

I think Beo5 becomes more and more tempting, only problem is I have a MAC and would want to program it myself.

And some point I may splurge on the Lutron Grafik eye ....  If they would release the lutron dimmer for US hmmmm that would be it.

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 07-08-2009 3:14 AM In reply to

!!! Of course, never thought of that!

Thanks for the reminder. Smile

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 07-08-2009 6:02 PM In reply to

Well here I go again,  seems I learn something new everyday about B&O.  I use the Lutron Maestro in my home theatre with BV 4.  I didn't want to spend $1000 for the grafik eye, so I settled for the little remote that came with the $25 maestro switch.  And now I hear the Beo 5 can control these?????  ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! and I missed the trade in deadline, thinking the beo5 wouldn't 'do much more that the Beo 4, A cheaper alternative to the grafik eye and a fancy new remote!!Sad

• 07-08-2009 8:22 PM In reply to

R Patton:
    ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! and I missed the trade in deadline

Just but a Logitech Harmony!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-10-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

• beotex
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • USA
    • Posts 32
    • Bronze Member

Not sure if you can find them anymore, but I bought a version of the Dinalight (mine was produced by Nielsen Hansen) that works with the Beo4 and US voltage. It works and looks great. Problem is, I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago while in Denmark from Lintronic.

• 07-11-2009 12:05 AM In reply to

Wish they still made that 110V Dinalight. eBay, by the way, has one up right now, at a buy-it-now price of $250. Looks beautiful. Also, a "mint, original box" LC1, at a buy-it-now price of $265.

Wow. Just half-a-year ago I bought my LC1 for $140! I would love to buy these but the cost - too much to justify for one unit. So I've bought a set of 5 SmartDimmers from Europe and plan to hook them up to small step-up/down transformers. Transformers will be pretty cheap (benefit of being in Hong Kong at the moment Smile). No-one has tried it before... I'm the guinea pig...

Leo

• 07-20-2009 8:09 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

jk1002:
    I think Beo5 becomes more and more tempting, only problem is I have a MAC and would want to program it myself.

I program my Beo5 on my Mac laptop through parallels/windows.  Works fine.  Works with Lintronic too.

-Michael

• 07-20-2009 8:11 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

R Patton:
     ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! and I missed the trade in deadline, thinking the beo5 wouldn't 'do much more that the Beo 4, A cheaper alternative to the grafik eye and a fancy new remote!!Sad

I think you're OK holding off a little while R Patton.  I think they are coming out with a revised version of the Beo5 remote soon, hence the reason for the promotion.

-Michael

• 07-20-2009 7:32 PM In reply to

I use Lintronic to control lights, fans, and a door alarm (thermostat next), all via X-10. Many people suggest that this sytem is not entirely reliable, but for me it works quite well.

Givent that I can use Lintronic for other things, including control of my AppleTV through my Avant, non-B&O DVD player, and the low cost of the X-10 modules and switches, I can live with the limitations of the x-10 system. I have been using x-10 for more than 20 years, and with the Lintronic module for about three years. I can recommend it without reservations.

I do have an LC1 that I have not used in some time, and would like to part with it. A reasonable offer from a member will certainly be considered.

BTW, I wouldn't pay $265 for an LC1 either!

• 07-20-2009 8:53 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Beo-ap, I'm not using Lintronic right now but have used it extensively in the past and agree that it's an extremely reliable and capable unit.  I think the best thing about Lintronic is the additional ability to connect with communication protocols like serial.  This opens up alot of possibilities.  I can't wait to get my hands on the new Masterlink gateway platform as I think this has the most potential if they can work out the software.

-Michael

• 07-20-2009 9:50 PM In reply to

I don't want to hijack this topic as I think lighting control is really important in the Beo ecosystem. However, I'm interested in this ML gateway. What is it?

• 07-20-2009 9:57 PM In reply to

I just want to purchase a nice lighting control system that works with the BEO4 remote and is affordable...

Does any one know of one???

• 07-20-2009 10:04 PM In reply to

Affordability is a very relative thing. For example:

1. Use LC1 controls one lamp - $175 - $250

2. Lintronic with X-10 Modules (5 lamps) - $500 - $600

3. Lutron (Out of my price range) - ??? more than $1,500

I don't know of any other solutions in the USA. Though with Lintronic you can control just about any IR source so theoretically any system that is IR controllable can be controlled by Lintronic. If I had the means, I'd probably go with Lutron, but you did say affordable. Therefore, options 1 or 2 are for you.

As stated in a previous post, I've had both, and the Lintronic is hands down the best value.

• 07-20-2009 10:11 PM In reply to

What do you need to set up the Lintronic X10 setup???  Can I use my BEO4 remote to control the X10 system???

If any one has an LC1 that is the US/Cdn version and can accept paypal I would be more then interested in purchasing one!!!!

LOL

• 07-21-2009 8:30 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

beo-ap:

I'm interested in this ML gateway. What is it?

Not too much known yet:

Link

But it apparently allows communication between masterlink and third party home automation protocols through robust, two-way serial communication.  If you want Lutron homeworks etc. this would be the solution for you.  It sounds very nice in theory because the third party systems can get direct feedback from the B&O components just like Masterlink does.

-Michael

• 07-21-2009 11:41 AM In reply to

With Lintronic you use your Beo4 light button just like you do with an LC1. However, Lintronic has added a special function that allows you to control more than 8 x-10 modules using the Beo4's color keys.

All you need is a Lintronic box, an X-10 "modem," and as many x-10 modules (up to a limit) as you want. Far superior in my opinion to the LC1. Again, the only value option in North America as we don't have third party LC1 compatible products (we never got the LC2).

I do have and LC1, and will consider offers. If you wish, you may PM me.

• 07-21-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

My first question would be where is the best place to purchase the Lintronic box from?

With the price of the X10 modules being relatively affordable how many rooms in the house are most people installing the system in?

Does the Lintronic box pick up the signal from anywhere in the home or would I need multiple boxes to control multiple rooms????

THANX

Sorry for the questions all the research I have done points me to the fact that I need to continue my research!!!  I am in search of a nice simple to use system theat in well integrated into the overall home.

• 07-22-2009 11:45 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

striker27:
    My first question would be where is the best place to purchase the Lintronic box from?

You get lintronic from their website: Here

I'll let beo-ap cover the rest, as he seems to have much more experience with this setup, but you may need more than one lintronic box.  There are some potential possibilities of building lintronic into the masterlink network to pick up on commands from other link rooms but this can be tricky and I don't have experience with it.  There are some good diagrams and application notes on the Lintronic website.

-Michael

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >