in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-31-2009 11:18 AM by The Plumber. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2009 10:42 AM

Not bad and it cost nothing to produce apparently, just hard work!!

http://beophile.com/

Take a look!

• 07-05-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

Re: Not bad and it cost nothing to produce apparently, just hard work!!

Mmmm. Fair play to the effort, but having a quick look around I couldn't find a sausage about the people behind the site as it was all written in a detached third person form. Anyone know who is behind this (dare I ask!)??

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 07-05-2009 11:20 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

OK - but what's new? - I don't really see the point or the need.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-05-2009 11:21 AM In reply to

....and a lot of copying and pasting presumably. Check out the review I wrote for the Beolit 800 for this site, and the one on the other site. Not word for word I grant you, but every single point made in their review follows the points in the same order as I set out in my review.

Could we find out who it is so I can bill them please?

• 07-05-2009 11:28 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

....and a lot of copying and pasting presumably. Check out the review I wrote for the Beolit 800 for this site, and the one on the other site. Not word for word I grant you, but every single point made in their review follows the points in the same order as I set out in my review.

Funnily enough I'd just checked out a section on "Datalink" - pretty much a rewrite of the passage in BeoTech.

I think I could guess at the owner.

• 07-05-2009 11:35 AM In reply to

Puncher:

Cheeky blighter - maybe they could bung me a used (ahem, pre-loved) BV5 as compo?? Where there's blame there's a claim and all...

• 07-05-2009 11:38 AM In reply to

I think, from the links and the absence of any links to the UK's pre-owned market companies, that a Dutch trader may have been behind this effort.  Good luck to them, there is no reason why not to applaud there efforts, Beoworld may not appeal to them and vice versa in some instances. 

• 07-05-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

Puncher:

j0hnbarker:

Funnily enough I'd just checked out a section on "Datalink" - pretty much a rewrite of the passage in BeoTech.

?

Who do you think it could be?  You are not pointing the finger at morethanAV's way surely?  Eduard?  The Rt. Hon. Steve James?

• 07-05-2009 12:17 PM In reply to

I think it doesn't meter who is behind this ( I was try to find it also ), it is good to have one more source ...

Whoever is behind this one thing is for sure, he/she put great efort to do it and I'm respect that !

I think soon will be link called FORUM on this site.

But I will never be a member Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-05-2009 12:22 PM In reply to

nmartin771:

I think it doesn't meter who is behind this ( I was try to find it also ), it is good to have one more source ...

Whoever is behind this one thing is for sure, he/she put great efort to do it and I'm respect that !

I think soon will be link called FORUM on this site.

But I will never be a member Smile

I'm not sure plagiarising original work counts as something that should be respected Martin....my article took me a long time to write and I made sure I did my homework. I for one am more than a little miffed Super Angry

• 07-05-2009 12:45 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

<snip>]

I'm not sure plagiarising original work counts as something that should be respected Martin....my article took me a long time to write and I made sure I did my homework. I for one am more than a little miffed Super Angry

Have you contacted them John?  There is a bit on the site about anyone objecting to having their work ripped off can apply to have it removed.

You are right to feel miffed if your work has been nicked without permission, but at least if they remove it goes some way to redressing things.

A new site would get more favour from Beoworlders and other B&O fans if they asked for contributors, not just took their work...

Ray

Я люблю Банг и Oлуфсен

• 07-05-2009 12:57 PM In reply to

John I was talking about whole project.

I'm sure that is not all copy-paste.

I remember on university when someone did the same and re write my whole project, at first I was really mad, but on second thought I was happy .... why ... if someone plagiarising your work it only means that your work is good !

All great designers, writers, architect were been plagiarisig by someone.

Your work is good and you don't need to worry.

I hope you understand me.

I never report guy who rewrite my work, he got highest degree, and he graduated ... I feel sorry for him ....

And I'm happy because my work got second highest degree Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-05-2009 4:51 PM In reply to

Why am I not surprised?

Regards Graham

• 07-05-2009 6:03 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I know who is behind it. He's not Dutch, but an English person living in France.

Nothing changes...  in more ways than one.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-05-2009 7:24 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

I know who is behind it. He's not Dutch, but an English person living in France.

Nothing changes...  in more ways than one.

Lee

If you're 100% sure Lee I have no probs with him as a person. A shame that there's any bad feeling between B&O lovers, but I guess that's what goes with the territory :( 

• 07-06-2009 2:59 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree that it looks very much like Steve and there is a french member on the dying Yahoo group Beolist announcing it
    in extremely positive words, but I'm not sure;

This page http://www.aboutus.org/BeOpHile.com gives the owner as Enom Inc.
    A little google work brings up this page full of interesting reading, if it is indeed Steve behind this, he's ended up in bad company
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/256/RipOff0256553.htm
    Speaks for itself, same goes for those related domain names ...

Hmm...
    Sorry but  No - thumbs down

Martin

• 07-06-2009 3:22 AM In reply to

Dillen:

This page http://www.aboutus.org/BeOpHile.com gives the owner as Enom Inc.
    A little google work brings up this page full of interesting reading, if it is indeed Steve behind this, he's ended up in bad company
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/256/RipOff0256553.htm
    Speaks for itself, same goes for those related domain names ...

These aren't really related - Enom is just another domain registrar, which allows for privacy proxy i.e hides the real registrant from the whois information.

As to the site, I don't know... I'll probably follow it, but I hope they (he) won't embarrass themselves by trying to set up a forum.

-mika

• 07-06-2009 6:12 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Am I missing something?

Apart from the plagerism of members' articles, surely we should all be happy that there's another B&O resource online?

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 07-06-2009 6:30 AM In reply to

I have no problem with someone setting up another B&O fan site, but I am left confused by the whole thing.

When people  set up fan sites (of whatever type) they are usually very keen to say who they are and why they created the site.

Setting a site up and going to great lengths to avoid stating who you are and where you come from (to the point of hiding domain registration information) seems a little perverse to me to the extent  I am not really sure what the point of the site is.

Simon

• 07-06-2009 1:35 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Be careful when going to www.beophile.com as you may find your PC has picked up some "datamining" spyware without you knowing it.

Most anti-spyware software will not pick these up on the fly, so you have to run a PC scan to remove them with products such as AVG or PC doctor or similar.

The following data mining spyware may find itself installed on your PC normally via a cookie

Aldmt

Serving-sys

Doubleclick

Tradedoubler

Mediaplex

You must do an actual scan to pick them up, AVG version 8.0 and above has anti-spyware detection, but cannot pick it up "on the fly" i.e. in normal running mode.

So, if you have been to the site, run the scan which depending on how much you have on your PC could take a long time.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 07-06-2009 4:31 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

k984942:

Am I missing something?

Apart from the plagerism of members' articles, surely we should all be happy that there's another B&O resource online?

I agree, I think it's good with more beo-sites.

Regarding your first question: Steve, who according to some is the man behind the new site (and I think they're right, it looks lika a Steve-site), was the creator and owner of "old" Beoworld.

• 07-06-2009 4:38 PM In reply to

Boring, nothing new to me and I daresay that any news posted on Beoworld will be posted almost immediately on there.... and claim to be a leading and... argh cant be bothered.

• 07-07-2009 3:02 AM In reply to

Surely as the genesis of Beoworld was the brainchild of Steve James and it is his early work and ownership that this site greatly benefits from - if the rumours are true and he is behind this site then it should be applauded.  There is nothing controversial on there, are you suggesting that all on Beoworld is totally original and down to the new owner and the Moderators?  I think not.

• 07-07-2009 3:40 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

KingOfSnake:

Surely as the genesis of Beoworld was the brainchild of Steve James and it is his early work and ownership that this site greatly benefits from - if the rumours are true and he is behind this site then it should be applauded.  There is nothing controversial on there, are you suggesting that all on Beoworld is totally original and down to the new owner and the Moderators?  I think not.

On the other hand, he sold the site, presumably along with the copyright to all that was within. To do some superficial rewrites and resurrect the site he sold is not only pointless but also very bad form, maybe even in direct contradiction of the terms of the sale to which he agreed.

The choice to sell and give up his "brainchild" was his - he did, end of story! I don't see what he hopes to achieve from this new site, other than mischief.

I for one won't be supporting it.

• 07-07-2009 3:44 AM In reply to

Although it is said there is nothing wrong with this, what about from an ethical point of view?

Selling a site, then stealing the content of that site to start another site of the same ilk sounds dodgy to me...

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >