in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-02-2009 10:39 PM by John. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2009 8:26 AM

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

iPhone 3GS overheating

Apple has issued a statement in responce to widely reported claims of the iPhone overheating to the point that it can discolour the plastic housing. Optimistically they have titled it

"Keeping iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS within acceptable operating temperatures"

Among the snippets of advice offered to prevent "exceeding the acceptable operating temperature" are -

not using certain applications in hot conditions or direct sunlight for long periods of time, such as GPS tracking in a car on a sunny day or listening to music while in direct sunlight.

Who would ever want to do that???

PricelessLaughing

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-02-2009 8:45 AM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • Melbourne Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Bronze Member

Re: iPhone 3GS overheating

Well, I daresay I may be in trouble then, Geeked as I purchased my first iphone (32GB 3GS) yesterday, let it charge overnight with the USB mains adaptor, and set it all up earlier today.

So far, all seems perfectly normal, in terms of what one would expect from an electronic device.  In fact, I'm stunned at the technology, ease of use, features and amazing value for money.

Of course, if it catches fire I may think differently... but so far it's an amazing piece of kit.

Having worked in retail, I think any manufacturer has to design for the lowest common denominator when it comes to safety, reliability etc; what Joe Public can do to wreck a device, and then front up demanding a new one, has to be experienced to be believed.

So far, from what I've read, the tales appear anecdotal - is there any real evidence, and if so, what are the percentages of faulty units to OK ones I wonder?

So far, I'm absolutely chuffed with mine

Best Regards

John... Smile

No-one ever regretted buying quality.

• 07-02-2009 9:05 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

This has been happening with someone in our office... I think it doesn't help that people keep it in thick cases.

• 07-02-2009 9:27 AM In reply to

I had an original iPhone and now have a 3GS and mine does not get hot.
  • 07-02-2009 10:52 AM In reply to

My wife and I have the new iPhone 3GS and have not had any problems.  She bought the white iPhone.  Trust me!  If there is a problem with her phone, I would have heard about it by now.  Our phones are also in Vaja leather cases.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 07-02-2009 10:53 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

The red coloured 3GS seems to be due to a fake-leather jacket distributed in France that colors the white iPhone in red, and not due to the overheating (that would have been a little bit strange, a plastic

Other French iPhone (3G and 3GS) have reacted to this story by explaining that they also have this coloration with a certain jacket... They were just not stupid eznough to warn the whole world of coloration issue...

Remember that Apple already sold MILLIONS of 3GS and that this red story just happened to ONE user on the internet... That's the power of buzz!Big Smile

• 07-02-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

I read somewhere it may be partly to do with the battery.. which not only would be embarrasing to apple but costly due to the volume..

Anyways, I have 2/3G iPhones and both seem fine.

Linky

• 07-02-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

• jonnyb
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-06-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Apple has issued a statement in responce to widely reported claims of the iPhone overheating to the point that it can discolour the plastic housing. 

No, it hasn't. That statement has been on the Apple website for months. They only updated it recently to include references to the 3GS.

• 07-02-2009 5:54 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

No issues with mine either.  

When products have little or no faults, it really magnifies the tiniest issues into big things.

The iPhone is the best Mobile Phone i have ever used, and my wife says the same.

Well, when i say that, i mean she has never once uttered a word of complaint about it. That truly is the highest accolade a piece of gadgetry can ever have.. 

Laughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-02-2009 6:41 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

OK - I now accept there are no overheating issues with the new iPhoneLaughing

(I didn't want to start an old testament thing)!

(btw - I have a free 2g model currently on ASDA payg)Big Smile

Can I reiterate Apple themselves recommend -

not using certain applications such as GPS tracking in a car on a sunny day or listening to music while in direct sunlight.

Stick out tongue 

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-02-2009 7:48 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Pah - who needs Sat Nav on a sunny day, you just go with the flow and catch the rays.. Laughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-02-2009 10:39 PM In reply to

• John
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • Melbourne Australia
    • Posts 64
    • Bronze Member

Well, there's sunny days, and then there are SUNNY days.  And the iPhone is made for world markets, and as I alluded to earlier, Joe Public is renowned for doing silly and thoughtless things.

I can't vouch for Death Valley USA, or UK summers, but here in Australia, where this summer the temperature on the infamous Black Saturday reached 46 Celsius, there was no way I would want to be anywhere out in the sun, with or without iPhone!

On an average summers day, with the temperature in the high thirties, people doing seriously stupid things like leaving a young child in the back seat of a car with a window open a tiny crack, whilst they just 'duck' in to the shops, has lead to authorities smashing windows etc to get children out; the temperature in the vehicle can climb into the 50's (Celsius) and more in a matter of minutes causing a serious health risk to children left in vehicles by unthinking parents.

In those conditions, if children aren't likely to do well, I don't think I would expect an iPhone to do any better, whether it was being used at the time or not... Surprise

Best Regards

John...

No-one ever regretted buying quality.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)