in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-24-2007 10:13 PM by Chrisreunion. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2007 1:58 PM

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

Beovision 7 HD upgrade Digital Audio and Service Menu

Hello all,

I have just become a Gold member and wish to tap into the knowledge of my fellow B&O comrades.

I have a BV7 (initial release version) and am disappointed to read the amount to defficiencies/issues. The one that concerns me the most is the digital audio capability. I have read on the B&O community forum (and snippits here) that the BV7 only accepts 2 channel (PCM) through its Digital Coaxial connectors (A1-A4). As I understand it, if a 5.1 signal is sent to these connectors no sound will be heard.

My intention is to have a media PC (or HTPC) connected via the DVI and digital sound using a TOS (optical out) from the sound card via a TOS to Coaxial converter into the BV7 (A1). I hope to be able to view HD video at 720p once the upgrade kit (Type 4370 part number 1437000) is installed in the comming weeks.

There has been a suggestion that upgrading the software would resolve the digital audio problem.I am unable to determine the software version by looking at anything on the back of the chassis. I have accessed the service menu and seen a whole host of values and items but have no idea what to look for.

1) What are the various items in the service menu, is there a guide to explain? What indicates the software version?

2) I will more than likely have one of the first software versions as I have the first release BV7. Can upgrading to the latest version (7.5 being the latest according to one B&O customer) do any damage to my early BV7 (which uses a different pannel to the latest MK3 V7)?

3) If the software won't fix the audio will the "HD upgrade" solve the digital audio problem? A long shot, I know Confused

Thanks in advance,
    Dheraj DAG4R

Filed under:
  • 06-04-2007 4:31 PM In reply to

Re: Beovision 7 HD upgrade Digital Audio and Service Menu

DAG4R:

2) I will more than likely have one of the first software versions as I have the first release BV7. Can upgrading to the latest version (7.5 being the latest according to one B&O customer) do any damage to my early BV7 (which uses a different pannel to the latest MK3 V7)?

Thanks in advance,
    Dheraj DAG4R

To my knowledge the first BV7-32 can be chip/software upgraded to 6.31
  • 06-05-2007 2:37 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

1. The various items in the service menu are best left alone. If you would like to check sw-versions and type no, these can be found under Monitor together with recent error codes.
    2. I would not recommend upgrading the sw unless you have a specific problem that you can't get around. Your dealer can run your type no and see what the various sw-releases are ment to fix. The BV7 mkIII is not released (yet).
    3. Models with the HD upgrade do not suffer from the "audio problem".

Roger

• 06-05-2007 3:59 AM In reply to

Hi!

The BV7 only supports AC3 (DD5.1 and DTS) thru the digital audio A1-A4. They do NOT support 2 ch PCM. So if you want to connect a mediacenter you have to connect both analog and digital audio to your BV7 if you wants to listen to both mp3 and movies with 5.1

/Ola
  • 06-08-2007 5:57 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

Thank you all for your replies. I have been told that B&O have ordered the HD upgrade kit for me from Denmark, Hopefully it will arrive next week and I can arrange an installation time. I have some more information on my BV7. It is a Type 9314 (sold up to Dec 2005) and has Application Software version 4.0.

Thanks to Keith, I now have a copy of the sevice manual so will be able to understand more of the information in the service menu.

Kind regards,

Dheraj DAG4R

• 06-18-2007 9:05 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

Upgrade install scheduled for this Friday.

Should have my HTPC built by then (if the rest of the compnents arrive when promised).

Will keep you updated in progress.

Regards,

Dheraj

• 06-18-2007 10:05 AM In reply to

DAG4R:

SW 7.5, 2 physical chips, comes with the HD-kit. 

• 06-18-2007 10:24 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

DoubleU:
    DAG4R:

Does that mean they will update the application software from version 4.0 (current) to v7.5 when they do the upgrade?

When I spoke the the engineer, he didn't seem to really be on the ball. I asked if I could have the software update at the same time (to give me the filim mode on/off option, that i don't currently have) but he didn't mention the 7.5 SW update being part of the HD upgrade.

Anyone know if the upgrade will mean the DVI port is HDCP compliant (if that makes sense). I asked the guy that too but he didn't know what HDCP was!

Thanks,

Dheraj

• 06-27-2007 9:18 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

DoubleU:

Spot on. Did the upgrade on Friday which included removing and replacing the scaler module as well as two chips. They upgraded the application software to 7.5 and all seems to be working fine. I have been away so haven't been able to do much playing about.

The TV is now connected to my Home Theater PC via the DVI port and looks fine. So far I haven't been able to connect up the PC via digital coaxial as I haven't recieved the SPDIF card for my PC yet. The analogue leads are connected and sound fine.

I will report back when the digital audio has been hoocked up and I've managed to look through the new service menu.

Finally, I noticed that the TV defaults to "Format 1" mode leaving the picture for terestrial broadcasts with black bars to the left and right of the image. I assume this is because of the 1360 wide resolution?!?!?! Has anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

D

• 06-27-2007 3:30 PM In reply to

under format 1 there is 3 under format, 4/3, 15/9 and 16/9 chance with the "format" and "<<" or  ">>"  it use the last mode you set it to as default.

so if it 4/3 it all ways use that as default in format 1 until you chance it again..

yes it supports hdcp

• 06-29-2007 9:07 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

Thanks bang1. I'll look into the default options soon.

In the mean time I have received my SPDIF card for my PC and hooked up a digital coxial cable. I've connect the two L&R RCA s and the digital coaxial to A1. I've also selected this the A1 as the sound input for my PC in the connections tab in the menu. BUT it doesn't work! I get no sound when playing a 5.1 encoded video file. The sound does come through the analogue ports though...

Got very frustrated and gave up late last night. Will do some more experimenting this weekend. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

D

• 06-29-2007 7:17 PM In reply to

how long is your spdif cable? is the spdif enabled on the sound card? the black bars left and right is that when you on the dvi input?

• 07-12-2007 7:14 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

Firstly apologies for the delay in the follow-up.

The SPDIF (Digital Coaxial) is enabled on the sound card. After returning to play about with the PC after a few days it seemed to work (sort off).

If I play a movie with encoded with 5.1 audio- I get sound through the digital coax because I left the analogue L&R disconnected. If I play a normal stereo encoded file it only plays through the analogue L&R RCAs only.

Now I don't know if it is because I DON'T have a 5 speaker setup (yet) but any 5.1 sound through the digital coax sounds all stuttery and definitely not something you could listen to. Is this just because I am getting only partial channel audio through my BL7.1? Following on, if I DID connect additional speakers, would the sound come though all OK?

As for the black bars, they only appear when viewing terrestrial TV, not when viewing my PC display (through the DVI). As mentioned before the bars are dependent on the format selected.

DAG4R

• 07-12-2007 1:42 PM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

DAG4R, as mentioned in an earlier post here, the BV7 does not support Stereo PCM sound, only 5.1 (DTS, Dolby Digital) through the SDIF connection. Not sure what drove the developers and the QA team to let this ship to customers.... 

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 07-13-2007 9:36 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

kawo:
    DAG4R, as mentioned in an earlier post here, the BV7 does not support Stereo PCM sound, only 5.1 (DTS, Dolby Digital) through the SDIF connection. Not sure what drove the developers and the QA team to let this ship to customers.... 

Thanks Kawo. I just wanted to prove it for myself. I too can't understand why B&O would allow this to happen.

Can anyone help with the stuttery sound I get, is it normal for the set up I have (i.e. only BL7.1 and not front and rear speakers)?

• 08-27-2007 4:18 PM In reply to

Hi DAG4R,

Did you ever find a solution to the Digital Audio problem, or is just plain impossible for an early version of BV7-32 play digital audio?

By the way, did the software update make any changes to the DVD menu and facilitate DVD operation in general?

Thanx in advance,

Toby
  • 08-29-2007 9:04 AM In reply to

• DAG4R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-04-2007
    • London
    • Posts 16
    • Founder

tobyfish:
    Hi DAG4R,

Did you ever find a solution to the Digital Audio problem, or is just plain impossible for an early version of BV7-32 play digital audio?

By the way, did the software update make any changes to the DVD menu and facilitate DVD operation in general?

Thanx in advance,

Toby

Hi,

I have not been able to affectively test whether the digital audio is working 100% correctly. I do get an audio signal from my PC to the TV but it is stuttery.

As for the DVD playback, I think there has been a change in the menu operation but as I don't play DVDs very often it hasn't been very noticable to me.

Thanks,

DAG4R

• 11-24-2007 8:31 PM In reply to

• olafd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2007
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

hi there,

sorry to raise a rather old topic again. i got by bv 7 32in in january 2007, being promised it'll have no problems with any hd content even though i was a little suspicious about the set only having a DVI socket. i know now that it doesn't make a difference for video content indeed. so the sales guy wasn't lying. what i (as others too) had to find out with the arrival of a ps3 in my living room is the bv 7's inability to deal with digital audio. i have experimented with loads of different option but can't get the set to play any digital audio that's coming from the ps3. i know that the ps3 is not faulty and neither the optical to coax converter. if i plug the whole lot into my old denon amp (ancient technology from 2001) it has no problems whatsoever to deal with the dolby digital streams that come from the ps3.

it seems however that there are some people out there who have managed to make the set play only digital 5.1 sound but no 2 channel audio. that would be fine with me since the content i'm interested in and that's coming from the ps3 is all 5.1.

so if anybody out there has a hint of what i can do to make that work, it'll be most appreciated!!!

i have been always a big fan of b&o but i feel really let down here. the price tag makes it even harder to accept such shortcomings...  Sad

• 11-24-2007 10:13 PM In reply to

I feel sorry for you and I find it so silly that my 2000 BeoVision 3-32 can handle stereo and 5.1 sound through its sound card (I have my PC connected to the SPDIF input for BeoPort), and that a "modern" BV7 can't do that, and most of all that B&O has done nothing to solve the well-known issue...

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)