in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-10-2009 5:12 PM by geearr. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 1:06 PM

SMMC4

I just received my new SMMC4 - had a mule smuggle it over the pond so I saved the import duties Big Smile - and installed it on my BG6500. I realized I have probably never listened to any of these decks with a good cartridge! The old MMC2 probably was faulty even before the suspension obviously let go. My Sarah McLachlan hasn't sounded this good since my former Dual CS5000 last had a good stylus years ago... The GF's BG7000 will have to settle with a retipped MMC2 though, once I get it back from schallpl... sch... pl... Axel Big Smile

How critical is the tracking force on these? The deck is still set at the 1.2 g of the old MMC2 according to the scale, but I don't know how accurate that is. The slider seems stuck and I'm afraid to use any more force...

-mika

• 06-24-2009 1:53 PM In reply to

Re: SMMC4

The MMC and SMMC4 are supposed to be 1.2g and the MMC2 should be 1.0g!!

Don't make excuses for the retipped MMC2 from Axel, it will sound just brilliant in my experience. I have had several done, 4's and 2's and they are all excellent.

Regards Graham

• 06-24-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

Oh yes you're right, I remembered incorrectly - the slider is stuck at 1.0 g now. I'll need to try harder to reset it. I guess the weight of the non-existent stylus guard is compensated in the rest of the cartridge so the scale will show correctly?

I'm looking forward to hearing the retipped MMC2. I sent the one with a snapped cantilever that I got with the BG7000, I still have my old MMC2 with failed suspension waiting for the outcome (and a suitable turntable...).

-mika

• 07-07-2009 4:01 AM In reply to

I got my repaired MMC2 back and it does indeed sound excellent. I'll certainly send my other MMC2 there as well if/when I get another turntable that will need it.

The only downside I see is that the new stylus seems a bit longer than original, and so the stylus guard cannot be used. And "have you ever seen a transparent cantilever" was a great conversation piece! Laughing (or should that rather be Geeked )

-mika

• 07-07-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

• Loris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Italy
    • Posts 92
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:
    And "have you ever seen a transparent cantilever" was a great conversation piece! Laughing (or should that rather be Geeked )

Post a good picture so we can admire it Wink

• 10-08-2009 4:01 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

How much did you pay for the MMC2 re-tipping?
  • 10-08-2009 4:11 AM In reply to

I got the basic elliptical stylus, so 99,- euros (plus postage one way, had an SP6/7 in the same work order so Axel didn't charge for delivery).

IMHO that money was spent much better than on a similar priced unknown condition MMC2 off eBay! And I'm still very happy with the SMMC4 as well, but if you have to pay overseas customs & taxes, it will cost almost double that...

-mika

• 10-08-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

• Loris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Italy
    • Posts 92
    • Bronze Member

Henrik,

if you're interested I have a SMMC4 for sale. I bought it in may and it has 20 hours of listening. I've switchd to a Beogram 6000.

Loris

• 10-10-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Hi Loris

I am currently interested in purchasing a new SMMC4 and was interested to hear that you have one for sale.  If you have no other buyers and you still want to sell it, please contact me and let me know your terms

Regards

Geoff

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)