in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-28-2009 4:39 PM by moxxey. 41 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2009 8:24 AM

Are there NO overall happy owners og BV 7-40 MK IV?

Hi All

I have read a lot about the new 7-40 MK IV, but NONE( none i could find anyway) are overall satisfied, why is this?

HD seems to be stunning, but SD are CRAP...

I have just decided to upgrade my 7-32 MK II to BV 7-40 MK IV, but find it quite shocking what i read in theese threads.

My question is, does all theese negative experiences come from people who JUST CANT get a good enough Tv...

I mean, you can always criticise if your only intention is to do so.

So, all you happy new buyers/ upgraders etc (if any).  Please let me know about your experience??

Will mainly use the TV for Blueray. and digital cabletv, not analoge.

Thanks in advance

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 06-24-2009 8:33 AM In reply to

Re: Are there NO overall happy owners og BV 7-40 MK IV?

Well I can't comment on the Mk IV, but I had a Mk II and a Mk III and they really were one problem after another. When I upgraded I went for a BV9 about 4 or 5 months ago rather that wait for the Mk IV and am now a happy tv customer (even though I think it uses the same or similar software).

Mike

• 06-24-2009 9:08 AM In reply to

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with BV-7, have myself not had any trouble with my BV 7-32.

The BV9 is sadly to big for my appartment.

• 06-24-2009 3:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Problem with the BV7-40 MKIII was that it required four key software updates during ownership - to fix three key problems (white flash, crashing TV, HD linkroom issues). That was totally unacceptable, no apologies from B&O, no letter with a gift stating that this situation shouldn't have happened etc etc. Basically 'we don't want to know'.

MKIV arrived and this has caused even more issues. Crashes (although a lot fewer, lately) with my Sky HD box and now I have red lines all over the screen. Doesn't give a decent linkroom image and the audio between the TVs is out-of-sync and doesn't seem to be something we can resolve.

If I was B&O and I was in their situation, I'd be on the phone to customers like me saying that this isn't acceptable, they understand and they'll get it sorted.

Bear in mind I have a LOT of B&O kit, including various speakers and audio players. Generally have no real problems with this kit, apart from my two BV7-40's.

• 06-24-2009 6:12 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:

Problem with the BV7-40 MKIII was that it required four key software updates during ownership - to fix three key problems (white flash, crashing TV, HD linkroom issues). That was totally unacceptable, no apologies from B&O, no letter with a gift stating that this situation shouldn't have happened etc etc. Basically 'we don't want to know'.

MKIV arrived and this has caused even more issues. Crashes (although a lot fewer, lately) with my Sky HD box and now I have red lines all over the screen. Doesn't give a decent linkroom image and the audio between the TVs is out-of-sync and doesn't seem to be something we can resolve.

If I was B&O and I was in their situation, I'd be on the phone to customers like me saying that this isn't acceptable, they understand and they'll get it sorted.

Bear in mind I have a LOT of B&O kit, including various speakers and audio players. Generally have no real problems with this kit, apart from my two BV7-40's.

Can you say you're happy with your BS/BM5 and it is all you'd hoped??

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-24-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

It's ok, yeah. The sw can be a tad flaky here and there, but there are now major 'show stoppers' that happened with the BV7-40 MKIII or this MKIV. My guess is that, if it was connected directly to the speakers - rather than to a TV connected to speakers - there wouldn't be many/any problems at all.

Sure it could do a LOT more. The BM5 should have been a media hub like the Apple TV. It could have streamed video up to 720p at least. The interface on the BM5 is very basic compared to the Apple TV and other media devices.

For the price I paid, I'm reasonably happy, yes. If I had to buy it brand new now, for £4000, I wouldn't be so happy. If you are flush and £4K is ok for a digital media player, then you'll probably be satisfied. I just feel for that price it should have far more functionality.

• 06-24-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

moxxey:

Puncher:

It's ok, yeah. The sw can be a tad flaky here and there, but there are now major 'show stoppers' that happened with the BV7-40 MKIII or this MKIV. My guess is that, if it was connected directly to the speakers - rather than to a TV connected to speakers - there wouldn't be many/any problems at all.

Sure it could do a LOT more. The BM5 should have been a media hub like the Apple TV. It could have streamed video up to 720p at least. The interface on the BM5 is very basic compared to the Apple TV and other media devices.

For the price I paid, I'm reasonably happy, yes. If I had to buy it brand new now, for £4000, I wouldn't be so happy. If you are flush and £4K is ok for a digital media player, then you'll probably be satisfied. I just feel for that price it should have far more functionality.

and that was really my (backhanded) point - the latest TV doesn't WOW, the latest audio player doesn't WOW..............what's going on?

The mid-range TV (BV8) seem to be best value but the BV10 is sounding favourite - unless it turns out to be blighted with issues too!

Engineering and Marketing need to get their heads together and sharpish.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-25-2009 2:15 AM In reply to

All your threads does not sound very good in my ears. I wonder however, why have any of you experiencing huge flaws not returned your tv´s??. If ML does not work like it should, that should be enough for you to utilize your returnpossibilities. I myself think that theese flaws are almost all due to software issues, not to justifie anything, software issues are not acceptable on a brand new television, but at least i think they can and will be solved. The MK IV is still pretty new in the productrange and not many have one.

SO hopefully, they will solve the issues, i myself will do everything to remind them and if the issues are not solved very soon, i will return my TV, as i am alowed to do that by law in Denmark.

• 06-25-2009 5:17 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

and that was really my (backhanded) point - the latest TV doesn't WOW, the latest audio player doesn't WOW..............what's going on?

Irrespective of the WOW, I want my products to **work**. I want a TV that can link to another B&O TV with the minimal of fuss and distribute audio and video without delay. I want to purchase a digital media player and not have to reboot the device every few days. I don't want to have to turn my Sky HD box on/off each time it crashes the TV. I don't want a TV that ends up with red lines all over the screen or requires a key software update every 4 months.

I want B&O to take some responsibility for their actions. People talk about Apple a lot - one thing Apple do (and Microsoft, to some degree) is talk to their customer directly! They don't just rely on their dealers or stores. If they get something wrong, Apple will admit a mistake, they'll write a public response and it's been known for management to send their users a reply if they email them directly.

B&O are so aloof it's crazy. No-one here mentions this or thinks this is in any way wrong. B&O do not communicate with end users (or members of the press, in many cases). That's a good reason why they are going wrong - they do not re-assure their important customers. It's left to the dealer to sort everything out, at their expense.

Someone on this board emails me personally (he knows who he is ;) and is now 'happy' as his dealership is sorting out of his B&O-related issues. Great, but why are B&O not apologising, calling him or helping him directly? Why don't they make him or me feel important and that we shouldn't have any of these issues for the amount of money we've paid B&O for their equipment?

• 06-25-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• OKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-03-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Well, I must be lucky.

I bought one of the first BV 7-40 MKIII and never had any problems with it, even though I must admit that I did not use it with link rooms or blu-ray.

Now I have a MKIV and that works fine too.

The only thing I am not quite happy with is the time and noise of the blu-ray drive during start up.

I have increased the sharpness setting from 14 to 26 and reduced the colour setting two notches from the standard setting. I feel it improves the picture in standard resolution.

The MKIV came with the DVB-HD module installed and it works really well, also with the integration to the HDR.

• 06-25-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

Hi OKA, thanks for your reply.

Very nice to hear general positive comments on MK IV (very brave of you in this forum :-))

As i have ordered a MK IV i went to the store today to se what was up with all the negative feedback in here. These are my experiences.

First of all, i addressed the issue about the remote and pressing yellow before everything else when controlling BD/DVD. My dealer just looked at my as if i was insane and told me "Off-cause this is not the case, why change something that has always worked" BUT to he´s surprise never the less, the issue is present and he was not aware and just at confused as all of us. I made him call B&O and they had NO explanation right away...The technician however promised to call back so i am looking forward to the answer. My dealer told him that this was absolutely unacceptable and would **** a lot of customers off. I think he understood, never the less, now they know that we wont accept that !!

As for the SD quality, i dont think i will be the right to comment on this. First of all, i am used to a 32" BV7 MKII so a larger TV would normally result in lower quality when displaying same resolution. However i do not find the SD quality to be bad at all, The BV 7 was standing right next to a BV 4-50 and its quality was so much worse. I even compared to an older BV1 CRT and a 7-32 without seeing apparent differences. We also played a DVD with the same result.

As for the bluray player, yes its noisy while starting up, but in my ears not that much more than my older Bv 7-32, and yes it takes some time to load a Bluray disc, i am guessing the double of loading a DVD. I do not find this to be a problem AT ALL a long as the player is silent during playback and performs. And speaking of performance..... Digital broadcasted television is absolutely stunning while Bluray playback made me speechless.

THIS tv is by far B&O´s flagship at the moment...NO other tv in the productrange comes even close (BV 8-40 is the runner up but wont compare in a mainroom surround setup)

I was not able to check up on the ML sound delay- and crappy linkroom signals, but my dealer assured me that if this was the case, it will be solved very soon when the issues are generally known.

So i am DEFINITELY looking forward to this Tv, its everything i need and ever wanted...

• 06-25-2009 1:21 PM In reply to

Ehlerz:

So i am DEFINITELY looking forward to this Tv, its everything i need and ever wanted...

I am so glad to read this Ehlerz!

I have a similar TV on order, supposed to arrive some time the first week of July. I have also dismissed all the negativities in the forum telling myself that it CAN NOT be that bad. Why on earth would they release a product with that many flaws...?!

Your latest post reassured me somewhat, and I am looking very much forward to sharing with you on my first days of experience.

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 06-25-2009 1:47 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

OKA:

I have increased the sharpness setting from 14 to 26 and reduced the colour setting two notches from the standard setting. I feel it improves the picture in standard resolution.

I did that too and you're right, it does make a difference.

Apart from the noisy Blu-ray drive, weren't you somewhat disappointed to find two HDMI sockets used by the player and DVB-HD module?

• 06-25-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

I was not able to check up on the ML sound delay- and crappy linkroom signals, but my dealer assured me that if this was the case, it will be solved very soon when the issues are generally known.

But that's my point....those things should be sorted from inception. ML issues are B&O's forte. If there's something they should be able to get right, it's ML issues. They've been linking their products for years! We shouldn't have to be 'reassured' by our dealer that it will be sorted, over time. They shouldn't ship a product that has ML issues.

The link-room Blu-ray issue won't be fixed via sw though. Watch a Blu-ray on the BV7-40 MKIV and the picture will jerk along on a link-room TV due to the lack of bandwidth to send the signal through the RF box.

• 06-25-2009 1:57 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

takktakk:

I have a similar TV on order, supposed to arrive some time the first week of July. I have also dismissed all the negativities in the forum telling myself that it CAN NOT be that bad. Why on earth would they release a product with that many flaws...?!

You mean like the BV7-40 MKIII since October 2007? That's not speculation, those sw-based flaws really happened. A lot of users on this board spent months discussing serious sw issues on their MKIII.

If you have your MKIV connected to a pair of speakers and have one external unit (PS3, Apple TV or similar) connected, you probably won't experience any issues at all - however, if you start introducing other kit, such as a Blu-ray player, a link-room TV, Sky HD box and so on, that's where you would have experienced problems.

• 06-25-2009 2:22 PM In reply to

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

I agree with the general sentiment, the products just haven't been good enough - where are the new design icons?

I can't think of any lately that stands out from the crowd - possible with the exception of the BEO5.

My smaller recent purchases the serene, serenata, BS3 have all had to go back for repair – the service I get is superb but I think the dealerships must be frustrated with the standard of the products they have to sell.

• 06-25-2009 3:28 PM In reply to

• OKA
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-03-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 15
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

>First of all, i addressed the issue about the remote and pressing yellow before >everything else when controlling BD/DVD.

I have a BEO5 and I don't need to press any other keys than >>, << and PLAY for fast forward, fast backward and normal.

moxxey:

>Apart from the noisy Blu-ray drive, weren't you somewhat disappointed to find >two HDMI sockets used by the player and DVB-HD module?

I am not too worried, as I use the DVB-HD as a replacement for a TDC/Samsung box, which is, as far as I understand, the danish equivalent for a SKY box in UK.

I also have a BM5/BS5 connected, so that leaves one HDMI socket free.  To use for what? ( In my case, that is :-)  )

• 06-25-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

OKA:

I have a BEO5 and I don't need to press any other keys than >>, << and PLAY for fast forward, fast backward and normal.

Hi again, i also have a Beo5, and therefore it is not a problem for me either. However, when the dealers dont even know about it and B&O has no explanation, why on earth make it that way. I could somewhat understand if the arrows had another function when in dvd mode, but they dont....

Could it be to sell more Beo5´s?? I mean the ability to program macros will sort such an issue. Just speculation and really hope this is not the case.

Moxxey, were you expecting being able to watch BD in linkrooms through Coaxial? I didnt know that was possible or at least was supposed to be possible. Should BS3 downscale it to SD and broadcast it to linkrooms, as digital is obvious not an option through ML and Coaxial.

• 06-25-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

OKA:

>Apart from the noisy Blu-ray drive, weren't you somewhat disappointed to find >two HDMI sockets used by the player and DVB-HD module?

I am not too worried, as I use the DVB-HD as a replacement for a TDC/Samsung box, which is, as far as I understand, the danish equivalent for a SKY box in UK.

I also have a BM5/BS5 connected, so that leaves one HDMI socket free.  To use for what? ( In my case, that is :-)  )

That's the problem - we have to use an external Sky box. My other HDMI socket is used for the PS3. My BM5 is now connected via components, as I don't need 1080P mode. I still could do with another HDMI socket for the Apple TV, which is yet to be connected!

• 06-25-2009 4:01 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

Moxxey, were you expecting being able to watch BD in linkrooms through Coaxial? I didnt know that was possible or at least was supposed to be possible. Should BS3 downscale it to SD and broadcast it to linkrooms, as digital is obvious not an option through ML and Coaxial.

I don't care what my expectations are - B&O sell me a TV with a linkroom connection. There's no caveat or warning that we might expect judder on a linkroom picture watching a Blu-ray via linkroom.

That's my point. We're almost apologising on behalf of B&O. They sell and promote the TV. It's not my problem that they haven't got a digital linkroom setup. They should have had all of that ready *before* they started selling HD 1080P TVs.

It makes me laugh that we 'forgive' the company as their technology isn't capable of doing what it says on the tin. It's not problem that my linkroom TV has delayed audio and a juddering picture that can't be fixed via sw.

I guess I'll need to wait and upgrade - yet again - to a BV7-40 MKV when they move to digital ML.

• 06-25-2009 4:35 PM In reply to

I do not forgive the company at all, but i never had the expectation of being able to watch Digital signals in my linkrooms. Yes they should soon be able to provide this giving that the future is digital, however no other company comes even close to the current ML option so i am very happy with that. I have no intentions of watching BD on my BC 6-23. Not saying that this should not be possible, just saying that our needs and expectations are very different from the start and therefore we dont have to agree on everything. And why dont you think the ML trouble can be solved with SW? It is B&O´s first BD player and BS3 have never before had to downscale BD to SD and broadcast it to linkrooms, this will ofcause be fixed somehow. Otherwise, i suggest that you return your tv, you should be able to do that as your overall expectations are not met, and if BD in linkrooms were part of your agreement , you were fooled and should address your dealer...

I will check up on the ML issues when i get my tv, maybe something is wrong with yours and i will keep you informed.

• 06-25-2009 5:06 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:
    I guess I'll need to wait and upgrade - yet again - to a BV7-40 MKV when they move to digital ML

Lets hope B&O will last that long!!Unsure

• 06-25-2009 5:11 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Ehlerz:

And why dont you think the ML trouble can be solved with SW?

Ok, maybe I'm wrong there, but it's this constant over-reliance on sw upgrade to fix issues that should have been solved before they started shipping the TV - that's my point.

Maybe your expectations are that you wouldn't expect a digital signal over ML. However, I'd fully expect my Sky HD signal to work correctly. It worked fine on the older MKIII! There were no audio delays between the rooms, which is annoying when you can hear the delay in the other room. My expectations did allow for me to expect it to be as good as the MKIII in distribute standard definition pictures between rooms, without delay.

• 06-26-2009 3:17 AM In reply to

Moxxey, we are generaly not disaggreeing on this issue. I am certain this will be fixed even though this ofcause should have been done before introducing the TV. You say your SKY HD signals worked without any issues in your linkrooms, that i do not understand. If your SKY box is connected through HDMI, this should as i am aware not be possible UNLESS the BS3 downscales it and distributes it as analoge. Maybe anyone can clarifie this??. If the ML issue is also present on my new TV, i will ofcause adress my dealer with this and return my TV if no solution is apparent... cause as you say, the ML is B&O´s primary advantage and one should at least expect this to work as it has for SO many years now.

• 06-26-2009 4:13 AM In reply to

OKA:

Ehlerz:

>First of all, i addressed the issue about the remote and pressing yellow before >everything else when controlling BD/DVD.

This is actually interesting, i do not think the buttons on Beo5 should differ from the buttons on Beo4. You are using the psycical buttons right, not pressing the screen when forwarding/rewinding etc??

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next >