in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-30-2009 1:37 AM by Jonathan. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2009 9:03 AM

Female sales people - anyone dealt with them? How do they rate?

Just pondering how many female sales people there are in the various UK (or European) dealerships? There seem to be fewer of them in B&O than in your usual Comet/Curry's/Joh Lewis electrical department, and wondered why this might be...

I don't think I would have any problem discussing my entertainment needs with a woman, but perhaps the old-fashioned B&O fans might. My wife can't stand hanging around while i talk shop with the guys in my nearest dealership, perhaps B&O are missing a trick by not employing more women on the sales floor to add an extra dimension and reach a wider market, particulary in the current financial climate.

Anyone ever dealt with a B&O saleswoman? How do you rate them?

• 06-23-2009 9:14 AM In reply to

Re: Female sales people - anyone dealt with them? How do they rate?

Here in Belgrade is one ! Smile

And she is really good !

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 06-23-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

There is a female salesperson here in adelaide too, i think she's really fantastic, very personable and with a contagious enthusiasm for the products :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-23-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Never had any problems at all dealing with Female sales staff in B&O stores. Of the dealers local to me, both have at least one female staff member.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-23-2009 4:46 PM In reply to

When in Exeter B&O a few weeks ago there was a woman working there (i think). If they know their stuff thats OK by me.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 06-23-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

The one in exeter is the boss!

• 06-23-2009 5:29 PM In reply to

• Jammy61
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-03-2009
    • NSW Australia
    • Posts 20
    • Gold Member

I have dealt with various representatives of B&O stores and in the majority have found them very informative.  The worst was a middle aged male who did not know the basics about how systems would be compatible with each other.

Regardless of gender, I would be happy to deal with any one who has knowledge of their product and accepts you as a potential customer when you walk in the door(despite the fact you may have a beer belly, wear fongs(flip flops) and don't speak like them.  The stores in Australia cater for all demographics.  There are from the young informed, to the mature, various ethnic backgrounds and male/female. H

• 06-23-2009 8:02 PM In reply to

This is an interesting thread. Like Jammy, I just want to speak to a well informed staff member regardless of their gender. However, It does seem to be a predominantly male oriented environment. Perhaps it is not an appealing career in terms of the types of products that are being sold, not retail itself.

I have been to the Exeter store several times and had no idea it was owned by a woman. I'd personally like to see more women in dealers.

Simon.

• 06-24-2009 2:43 AM In reply to

There was a female sale person in on of the Dusseldorf shop.
  • 06-24-2009 2:47 AM In reply to

• christophe67
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-08-2009
    • St Julien En Genevois (74), France
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

Hello

For the few stores I have been :

- Strasbourg (France)

- Geneva (Switzerland)

- Chicago

All male staff ...

Christophe

My B&O devices : Beosystem 2300 - Beosound 4 - Beosound 5 - Beolab 4000 - Beolab 4 - Beo4 - Beo5 - Beotime - Earset 3i

• 06-24-2009 3:11 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

There is a lovely girl on James Street in New Farm Brisbane, Australia. She lived in London and worked for B&O there too.

I would highly recommend her. Really lovely... and knew her stuff. I didn't even buy anything from her as she knew we weren't living there. She was still really nice.

• 06-24-2009 3:35 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

I've never come across a female sales person in a B&O dealers however, an observation from other electronic outlets ....................... they are much less likely to be a "I know everything, even when I don't" type, which unfortunately is not always the case with males.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-24-2009 9:26 AM In reply to

The Plumber:

When in Exeter B&O a few weeks ago there was a woman working there (i think). If they know their stuff thats OK by me.

ummm what do you mean 'you think?'

i would be careful what you say here, someone may be watching this!

'passes over manual - "the birds & the bees"

on a better note i hear the Exeter Store is one of the best in the uk due to the female manager - which i know not her name... Wink

do you guys think i should see if she wants to go the the pictures with me??

• 06-24-2009 9:37 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

mossy666:

The Plumber:

ummm what do you mean 'you think?'

i would be careful what you say here, someone may be watching this!

'passes over manual - "the birds & the bees"

on a better note i hear the Exeter Store is one of the best in the uk due to the female manager - which i know not her name... Wink

do you guys think i should see if she wants to go the the pictures with me??

Before jandyt asks .......................... can she iron?Laughing

• 06-24-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

lol i should hope so... Big Smile

• 06-24-2009 11:48 AM In reply to

@ mossy666, Love the user name. I meant that i think the lady at B&O Exeter was working there, not that i think she might be a lady LOL.

Never Mind The Ball-Cocks www.markmossplumbing.co.uk

A labourer uses his hands
    A tradesman uses his hands and his head
    A craftsman uses his hands, his head and his heart

• 06-24-2009 12:02 PM In reply to

lol just seen the web link, so your a moss too :)

• 06-24-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Well I have been in many B&O dealers over the last few years, but have only met with one female staff member.
    Puerto Banus in Spain!
    She was very attractive, friendly, knowledgeable, and spoke excellent english. I didn't dare ask her if she could iron, as my wife may have hit me with one! It was 4 years ago.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-24-2009 2:15 PM In reply to

The store I bought my first B&O was run by a married couple. The wive was really friendly but was not that knowledgeable. When this store closed I had to look elsewhere and ended up with a small audiophile shop again run by a couple. Here the wife or girlfriend (I don't know if they were actually married or not) was rather attractive and had excellent knowledge. They still run the shop but don't sell B&O anymore...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 06-24-2009 5:23 PM In reply to

Interesting that people's replies include how attractive the 'person' is rather than seem them for their experience and knowledge. Do you look at the male members of staff in dealers in the same light?

Hmm

• 06-24-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

Oh it must be in the genes. I don't know how bad it is in other countries, but I know for sure that there are plenty of people in Finland who would ask for "the real salesperson" if they were confronted by a woman in a shop like this.

Reminds me of my early days as CS student. I was going to complain about my grade in a FORTRAN assignment. I went to the appointment and saw only this really good looking girl behind the desk. I asked where the course assistant might be? And she replied "that's me". Taught me for life. And I spent the next eight years or so on-off with her Smile

-mika

• 06-24-2009 6:30 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

The_Beonic_Man:

Interesting that people's replies include how attractive the 'person' is rather than seem them for their experience and knowledge. Do you look at the male members of staff in dealers in the same light?

Hmm

I think that's normal behaviour Simon. I think most hetros3xual males automatically look at women and subconsiously give them 'Marks out of ten'

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-24-2009 8:31 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

It's think it's generally subconscious human behaviour Simon, no matter what their s3xuality is! (like the sideswerving of the filters there Andy! LOL)

Attractive, well groomed people (of the same ability) do better in sales (so lots of studies report).  I know that plenty of companies hire attractive people to boost sales, and it works.  Call the human race shallow, but i'm afraid its a fact - no matter what we say and how much we say 'it's who's inside that counts'.

Anyway, females in B&O stores.  We're walking a fine line (again!) here by being impressed when a female is knowledgable about B&O. Is that an insult that a female can actually be knowledgable about B&O? 

Well, yes and no.  As humans we have expectations and comfort zones.  High End AV equipment is a male driven industry, and a high percentage of the customers are indeed male. Sorry, that's a fact. So, as a consequence, you almost expect to deal with males who have a keen interest in the subject. However, when a female steps in and does the same or better job than a male - she is going to stand out like a sore thumb. There is placed the advantage to the female - who can capitalise on this and make even more sales.

As a number of you know i was in the motor trade before becoming a beoholic (LOL), and whenever a female entered the sales arena the men quaked in their boots. They were tidy, highly organised, determined, and always successful. I think it takes a certain kind of female to enter a male dominated industry, and that kind of female is so driven she will not fail.

I speak to no more than three or four female staff at B&O dealers here in the UK, and all of them are genuinely respected by their customers and colleagues as salespeople. 

A good initial topic and post this one. I do like a bit of Political Correctness being questioned!  Facts are facts, humans are humans, and we're a flawed race!

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-25-2009 12:07 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

Luke :

There is a lovely girl on James Street in New Farm Brisbane, Australia. She lived in London and worked for B&O there too.

I would highly recommend her. Really lovely... and knew her stuff. I didn't even buy anything from her as she knew we weren't living there. She was still really nice.

I would highly recommend Rachel too, very friendly and helpful and always follows up on things promptly.

Luke.

• 06-25-2009 2:59 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Jandyt:

The_Beonic_Man:

Hmm

I think that's normal behaviour Simon. I think most hetros3xual males automatically look at women and subconsiously give them 'Marks out of ten'

I hope you're not going to stoop to the "I'd give her one" joke - that would be in very bad taste and only serve to reinforce the typical male stereotype!

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >