in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-15-2010 4:19 PM by mcostandi. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2009 10:14 AM

Master Control Panels good or bad?

I was wondering what you think of the Master Control Panels for the 5000/5500/6500 systems.

Good? To big? Clumsy? Do you even use it?

I got a 6500 and it stays on top of the system as a Beo4/Beolink 1000 is way more easy for everyday use.

Does anyone have a spare hinge for a 6500? Acording to the dealer: 3030071 is not aviable anymore here in Denmark.

• 06-22-2009 3:06 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Re: Master Control Panels good or bad?

I quite like my MCP 6500, especially when there are guests around. They always fall into the trap and ask about it then I can go on and on and on about all my B&O ;)

I think they quite nice to use if they are in a place where they don't need to be moved to use them. I do have a Beolink 1000 incase.

Durban South Africa

• 06-22-2009 3:15 PM In reply to

Used mine to reprogram a spare Beomaster 6500 today, and they're great for setting up the radio stations quickly, assigning program numbers. And then they belong with the unit.

BTW - tempted today. A white Beosystem (without the CD-player), but with a pristine, white MCP ...

• 06-22-2009 3:39 PM In reply to

I'm pretty happy with mine - I keep it on my desk and quite often check which radio station is playing, what the time is, and so on... I can't even see the front panels of the actual BS6500 from where I sit most of the time so it's quite useful, even though I have a BL7000 as well, which mostly sits as a display item.

I shelled out more than 100 euros for my white MCP6500 some 1½ years ago, but after I got one of the apparently last sets of new hinges (sorry...), it's pretty darn near perfect. And still on its first set of batteries!

But I don't like the circular volume control. It's really difficult to know where the volume will end up when using it, especially if the IR path is anything less than perfect.

-mika

• 06-22-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

I have to admit to not using mine very much with my 5000 system, though that may be more on account of its location.

I have the stack on top of a dresser in the master. If it were, say in a living room, where the MCP might be on a coffee table... well then I would probably use it more.

The terminal gets 99% of the use.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-22-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Only ever used them when I had a couple of Beomaster 5000's that I was selling. Very nice to look at, but I don't know if I would use one on a daily basis. More just to have a play with every now and then.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 06-22-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

I bought my 5000 system purely because of the MCP when it first came out. Incredible for its time. These days I never use my MCP - so much so that I have loaned it out! (By the way , I have the battery cover!) The Beolink 7000 is the ultimate expression of the MCP ethos and is by far the best!

• 06-22-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

Umm... why wouldn't one have the battery cover? Big Smile

(apparently I didn't lose mine in the vacuum cleaner though Embarrassed )

-mika

• 06-23-2009 1:45 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

I think they are great in linkrooms, I've had my MCPs (an mcp6500, an mcp7000 and a 5000 (outside of the linksystem)) almost permanently placed on bedside tables and writing desks (where they often get used for telling the time, haha).

At the moment, the mcp5000 is the only one on use (it's used here in my kitchen, where I have a bs5000, not involvred in the MCL system). A bl7000 is permanently placed on my bedside table, great for controlling the loghts in the apartment and when the system is in standby it displays the time (no alarmclock needed :) )

• 06-23-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

• RayTheWash
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • South East London
    • Posts 93
    • Founder

..out of interest, is it possible to use either a MCP 5500 or 6500 with a Beocentre 9500? is there a certain option you would need to set the BC too?

Regards

RayYes -  thumbs up

• 06-23-2009 9:43 AM In reply to

No - although the IR commands are semantically similar, they have different addresses when a MCP is talking with a supported master vs. 9500 and similar systems. A bit silly really, since there's no technical reason why at least the basic functions could not be operated, it's all in the software....

-mika

• 06-23-2009 10:50 AM In reply to

• RayTheWash
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • South East London
    • Posts 93
    • Founder

Thanks for thatWink

shame, i have two pristine white MCPs made redundant by my BL7000...Sad

Ray

• 06-23-2009 2:00 PM In reply to

tournedos:

Umm... why wouldn't one have the battery cover? Big Smile

(apparently I didn't lose mine in the vacuum cleaner though Embarrassed )

I lent one to a friend on site and changed the batteries first - I forgot to put the cover back on! I have the cover but not the MCP!

• 01-15-2010 4:19 PM In reply to

You still have that battery cover? Funny...I need one!

Mark

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)