in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-29-2009 7:20 PM by benjnz. 64 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (65 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2009 8:00 AM

• Benie
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2009
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

How hard is Bang & Olufsen hit ?

I have just heard that Bang & Olufsen have started to cancel people working parttime. The ones that have not been fired in production have been working partly since start of 2009 until now.

Does anyone know wether they are actually hitting the road again/starting to sell some products or if they are still very badly hit by the financial meltdown they and the World expirienced last year ?

I world expect them to continue to be hit by the melt down for the next couple of years, but maybe i'am wrong ? 

Which product are hitting ? Have heard that BeoSound 5 is not selling as well as initially expected. Is that correct ?

• 06-22-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

Re: How hard is Bang & Olufsen hit ?

Regarding the Beosound 5 I know from my dealer that they sold just one since launch....and there are not a small one according to  the (internal revenue) B&O ranking

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 06-22-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

My dealer told me emediately when BS5 was lounched that it will be hard to sell because BS5 does not have a CD player and people will find hard to put music on the BM5 via computer.

• 06-22-2009 9:36 AM In reply to

avus17:

My dealer told me emediately when BS5 was lounched that it will be hard to sell because BS5 does not have a CD player and people will find hard to put music on the BM5 via computer.

That was my first thought as well. I like the concept of  high-end digital audio player that avoids the need for a PC, but to then require users to use a computer anyway and/or visit their dealer and pay to have the CD ripped avery time they wanted to have music was madness, especially considering how little it would have cost to add a CD reader.

• 06-22-2009 10:07 AM In reply to

• plagente
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Albi (France)
    • Posts 137
    • Silver Member

My take is that B&O will be bought by a larger company....

(Panasonic ?)

B&O won't be able to live as a standalone company. They must optimize their margins without increasing the prices (which are already 'premium'). Only a buy out by a larger company of the sector will enable B&O to achieve this objective.

http://p-lagente.blogspot.com/

• 06-22-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

Much as I like the BeoSound 5 product I do think it is silly how you have different parts and cables everywhere. I can see how this would put off many buyers, myself included. I also agree that is would have been better with CD capabailities built in. The company is definitly struggling; that has been obvious for some time. B&O have made some silly choices with products and pricing and with very little if not any market research. They have relied on older products and their brand name which has worked only to a small extent but diminishes quickly as existing customers become bored and have lost faith in what the company is doing.

Simon.

• 06-22-2009 11:51 AM In reply to

To inject a touch of optimism here. Jyske Bank in Denmark, which runs a pretty mean analysts' room, are up about B&O's prospects, calling the share undervalued at present, stating that the recapitalization was successful and is giving the company breathing room, and claiming that there are very interesting products in the pipeline. As Jyske Bank would have some irate investors on their backs if they were too Polyanna about B&O, that's got to count for something.

http://www.npinvestor.dk/nyheder/jyske-bank-b-o-akkumuler-foer-reducer-188391.aspx

• 06-22-2009 12:25 PM In reply to

Hard.. some very poor decisions and products have compounded the problem imo but they are not alone and most companies are in a similar position so why single out B&O in the current climate?

That said, I do not think B&O will be took over.......  If this was going to happen then we would have heard something or seen some action in the markets by now? I would imagine there is a lot of speculation about certain companies and is it fair to say that B&O is not your average company? and I would hazard a guess and say that there is probably only a handful of companies out there who would entertain the idea of taking over B&O?

• 06-22-2009 1:45 PM In reply to

• MikaelB
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Herning, Denmark
    • Posts 191
    • Founder

This from the danish news paper Børsen online (via google translate)

/MikaelB

• 06-22-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-22-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-22-2009 1:54 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

....and they bounced back from that!
    I think B&O will survive this too.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-22-2009 2:02 PM In reply to

Jandyt:

....and they bounced back from that!
    I think B&O will survive this too.

Andy T.

I think they had a better product mix and pricing policy back then Andy!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-22-2009 2:08 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Absolutely right there j0hn, but there is a lot more money (and credit) about now. I have every faith in the Danes resilience.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-22-2009 5:11 PM In reply to

On Beoworld there's a tendency to always be upbeat and positive about B&O even when having a moan about a particular product. If you take a look at the financial reports on B&O via Google, and then take a look at the comments that people have made on those articles, a different perception appears.

1. Brokers are generally saying hold or sell rather than buy.

2. Perception via comments is that B&O used to have innovative products with a long life. Present situation is that products have a short life due to ever changing technologies and improvements. Also, mass market competitors like Phillips and Apple are producing well designed products that are up to date and can therefore sell above their market sector average prices, and buyers do not begrudge paying a premium. With B&O there's no real technological advance anymore and the very high prices only appeal to those who want it to be known that they've spent a lot. One report suggests B&O spends 10% of profit on research but doesn't produce enough/ fast enough to justify that spend, whereas Loewe spend 5% for a faster return.
    Personally  I think Apple with its massive cash reserves would do well to invest in B&O.
    Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-22-2009 6:18 PM In reply to

vikinguk:

Personally  I think Apple with its massive cash reserves would do well to invest in B&O.
    Graham

I love Apple, but I hope they never will invest in B&O. It's a completely different world.

As I see it, only B&O can save B&O.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-22-2009 7:14 PM In reply to

I agree that Apple would never invest in B&O.  Apple and Steve Jobs may like B&O design but Apple's business is computers, software, iPods and iPhones all of which is keeping them busy.  Apple is spending some of its cash.  They are spending $1billion to build the facilities for a new server farm in North Carolina USA.  Although the purpose of the server farm has not been stated, it is presumed to be for an expansion of the ability to deliver significantly more movies and music. 

B&O most certainly can save itself and they appear to have a good strategy.

As for the Beosound 5, I have one and like it very much.  I know for a fact that my local dealer sold at least two Beosound 5's.  I bought one and another person who was in the shop at the same time as I also bought one.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 06-23-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

as a newbie, i feel that B&O can quickly recommand some spike in sales by doing simple updates to the strong and popular range at present.

the speakers are pretty good at the moment, so i'd say the range could be left alone for now.

update the BS9000 and BS3200 with simple additions to better integrate the digital era (hard drive in the BS9000, digital radio options on both) and allow multi-source capability or upgrade the BS4 to include a built in hard drive option ala BS3200.

BC2 could be slightly updated for design and incorporate blu ray option.

scrap BS2/6 for now and revisit the portable digital music space when funding permits and somehow make it integrate as a remote control for all B&O and also as an extension to the BS5 interface.

does the BS5 accept MP3/ music from itunes?  if not, this should be addressed to enable simpler upgrade decisions for consumers.

the above should not request substantial funding/modifications I would think and would easily speed up sales for enthusiasts and newcomers alike.

TV is the toughest, with LCD and plasma evolving the last few yrs and now the LED/OLED range coming out. for the premium design, sound quality and features should set it apart from the everyday models.  

Panasonic and Samsung panels should provide cheap access with only user interface and built in options such as digital TV tuners/hard drive/dvd & blu ray drive be worked on.

hopefully some exciting developments take place in the current year and late '09/ early '10 will bring us all more reasons to buy more B&O

• 06-23-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

I cannot agree more with you!

Bring on updated products instead of always launching new products that will take more energy,money and time, and may not be 100% viable.

Fit all BeoSounds with USB and Ethernet/wi-fi connections so people can plug whatever memory device they have, and make CDDB and software updates automatic and seamless.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 06-23-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

blue2th:

as a newbie, i feel that B&O can quickly recommand some spike in sales by doing simple updates to the strong and popular range at present.

the speakers are pretty good at the moment, so i'd say the range could be left alone for now.

update the BS9000 and BS3200 with simple additions to better integrate the digital era (hard drive in the BS9000, digital radio options on both) and allow multi-source capability or upgrade the BS4 to include a built in hard drive option ala BS3200.

BC2 could be slightly updated for design and incorporate blu ray option.

scrap BS2/6 for now and revisit the portable digital music space when funding permits and somehow make it integrate as a remote control for all B&O and also as an extension to the BS5 interface.

does the BS5 accept MP3/ music from itunes?  if not, this should be addressed to enable simpler upgrade decisions for consumers.

the above should not request substantial funding/modifications I would think and would easily speed up sales for enthusiasts and newcomers alike.

TV is the toughest, with LCD and plasma evolving the last few yrs and now the LED/OLED range coming out. for the premium design, sound quality and features should set it apart from the everyday models.

Panasonic and Samsung panels should provide cheap access with only user interface and built in options such as digital TV tuners/hard drive/dvd & blu ray drive be worked on.

hopefully some exciting developments take place in the current year and late '09/ early '10 will bring us all more reasons to buy more B&O

@blue2th,

I agree with you. Great sugestions!

Regards.

Alen

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 06-23-2009 2:14 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Irrespective of whether I think a product is poor or performs well, I've had so many sw-related problems with B&O equipment since I took delivery of my BV7-40 MKIII.

I'd say the BS5/BM5 combo can be flaky. I've had to reboot this on at least 10 occasions and it's only been with me for 3 weeks.

Since I had this BV70-40 MKIV installed, I've had the odd Sky box crash (seems fixed), link-room quality issues (now worse than ever) and now the picture on the MKIV is full of red lines, whatever the source input.

Now I had a fair bit of B&O equipment, but anything produced over three years old seems to work flawlessly. Anything since around late 2007 has caused a number of issues.

I'm both disillusioned and disappointed.

• 06-23-2009 4:29 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

vikinguk:

Graham

Unfortunately B&O is making a loss, cutting back staff and is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Apple's customers. Most of Apple's new customers buy iPods and worry about the cost of a £400 iPhone....not a £10,000 TV. Where are the market advantages that Apple would obtain from buying B&O? List the advantages? What technological advantages do B&O have that Apple would want? What key trademarks do they own that Apple do not own?

These are the primary reasons for any company takeover. Apple doesn't go around buying companies 'for the sake of it' or because it needs to 'help someone out'. Business is business and B&O wouldn't pass any Apple due diligence.

• 06-23-2009 5:00 PM In reply to

Problem with B&O was never about the price like I said way before the product launch of Beosound 5. It's that they are not injecting enough value into their products. B&O should become a real high end company if it is going to survive. If high end hifi companies Meridian, B&W and Goldmund can still thrive in this economy I don't see why B&O can't. Stop cutting corners and deliver the real goods already. The mainstream consumers now aren't as dumb or non-tech savvy as the their 90s counterparts. Most of us know how to read specs and search more reviews online or compare and listen to the equipments ourselves. And most of us now aren't ashamed of big speakers now because the it is now cool to own them. Check out the new edgy interior designs and boutiques, they are showing off huge speakers and equipments etc.... Wake up and adapt with the times... No more superfluous pretentious products please! 

• 06-23-2009 5:18 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

MMMMMM, i have fallen to this trap before no more ,i am convinced now  B&O costumers always wrong policy(they adapted)!!!!Super Angry

• 06-23-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

Where are the market advantages that Apple would obtain from buying B&O? List the advantages? What technological advantages do B&O have that Apple would want? What key trademarks do they own that Apple do not own?

These are the primary reasons for any company takeover. Apple doesn't go around buying companies 'for the sake of it' or because it needs to 'help someone out'. Business is business and B&O wouldn't pass any Apple due diligence.

Hi Moxxey,

Good points. Guess I was thinking in terms of Apple being able to apply its innovative technological approaches to reduce B&O costs and to introduce B&O to a larger audience. An easier way for Apple to move into AV although the reality would ultimately be that Apple probably wouldn't be interested in buying Panasonic etc components for re-engineering in the way that B&O do. If B&O went under how likely is it that the likes of Apple would pick up the name and core business for little outlay from the receivers? B&O shares are now only a fraction of their worth of two years ago and it will get very difficult for them to raise cash again as they did this year.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 3 (65 items) 1 2 3 Next >