in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-28-2010 7:08 AM by ®. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2009 5:51 AM

BeoTalk 1100 Users...

Recently acquired one but having problems setting it up. Have spent about £30 on all sorts of additional connectors, none of which make any difference.

I have 2 telephone points both in the lounge. A primary socket and a secondary box/point attached about 5 metres away. My Sky wireless broadband router, BeoCom 5 and PSTN base are all plugged in (and working correctly) to the primary socket. Want to get the 1100 going from the secondary where currently nothing is attached.

Started out with the setup as illustrated in the manual but to no avail. Have tried replacement cables, swapping cables over (i.e. putting Power into Line or vice versa) and different socket converters i.e. RJ11 to BT and/or back again. All sorts of combinations. Did at one point manage to get it going, at least the display came on and I could program the time, date and record my messages. However, in this one and only instance, 'Line Busy' showed up on all the telphones so I could never make or receive any calls. There was also a continous low level humming noise instead of the proper dial tone and the internet lost its connection as you would might also expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Simon.

• 06-22-2009 7:00 AM In reply to

Re: BeoTalk 1100 Users...

Hi:

This is purely a guess. However was Beotalk ever sold in the UK? If not, is there not the need to get some kind of converter put on/in the machine so that it works on UK phone systems?

Thanks

Graham

• 06-22-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

1. are you using a line-filter for the modem? (you need this in your secondary point as well even if there's no modem connected to this point)

2. if it has the handset symbol, the beotalk is not connected to the phone line per troubleshooting page.

3. do you know if your second phone point is working?

4. the power/phone line cable jack on the beotalk should have the separate points marked for which is which.

• 06-22-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

Firstly, let me correct my original post which stated I have a BeoCom 5 plugged in ... this is a typo and I meant the BeoCom 2.

Graham
    Pretty sure that the unit should work in the UK as it was bought from a UK company who would have told me otherwise.

Blue2th
    Q1: Yes
    Q2: No handset symbol displayed
    Q3: Yes
    Q4: There is only a Line socket on the BeoTalk 1100. An RJ11 socket connects from here into the 'App' socket of a 3-way RJ11 adapter. The BeoTalk 1100 power transformer connects to 'Power' and then a cable from 'Line' to the BT telephone point at the wall. The manual shows this set up but it does not work at all in my home.

All sockets, all cables and all adapters have been tested independently and work 100%.

Simon.

• 06-22-2009 11:36 AM In reply to

The_Beonic_Man:
    All sockets, all cables and all adapters have been tested independently and work 100%.

All may work independently, but are they the original B&o lines or at least wired the same?

I had similar issues when I needed to run a longer line from the wall to the tridapter. I used a non-supplied one and it did not work because of the wiring. Watch the xover or lack thereof in the leads. I can not remember the order or even if it was a xover or not, but I will be happy to check mine this evening. I ended up running my own RJ11 and simply jacked it identically to the B&o supplied one, and all was fine.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-22-2009 11:40 AM In reply to

Thanks for that Jeff. I look forward to hearing more when you have had a chance to check yours. Can you elaborate about the cross over as I am not sure what or how to check? Thanks. Happy to buy the original leads if I can find them, although I assume the one's that came with it were the original one's. I will call today to find out.

Simon.

• 06-22-2009 11:58 AM In reply to

The_Beonic_Man:
    Happy to buy the original leads if I can find them, although I assume the one's that came with it were the original one's. I will call today to find out.

Hang tight, perhaps someone will be by and have checked before I can, and before you purchase anything!

I simply can not remember which is correct by memory, but to check: Just look at both ends of the RJ11... If the color pattern is the same (e.g.) RYGB <or whatever> on both ends, then you have a straight pass thru... if the pattern changes, you have a "crossover."

++++EDIT++++

Was this "new in the box?"

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-22-2009 7:26 PM In reply to

Simon,

Just checked and you should have both!

Looking at the jack with the locking tab facing you, you should have where Y=Yellow, G=Green, R=Red, B=Black:

From the wall to the tridapter, a crossover: YGRB -> BRGY

From the tridapter to the beotalk, straight: YBRG -> YBRG

Hope that helps, if not, your problem lies elsewhere!

Regards,

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-22-2009 7:31 PM In reply to

Many thanks Jeff, will check this time tomorrow when I am home, currently in London.

Cheers,
    Simon.

• 06-25-2009 8:25 PM In reply to

Quick update Jeff... I am trying to find these correct cables from somewhere as the ones supplied with the unit do not match what you have said and threads would seem to suggest you are right about these cables. Perhaps Maplin, which is a very good store in the UK for this type of solution can help. I'll keep you posted. Meanwhile, thanks for your help so far.

• 03-26-2010 1:51 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

burantek:

Simon,

Just checked and you should have both!

Looking at the jack with the locking tab facing you, you should have where Y=Yellow, G=Green, R=Red, B=Black:

From the wall to the tridapter, a crossover: YGRB -> BRGY

From the tridapter to the beotalk, straight: YBRG -> YBRG

Hope that helps, if not, your problem lies elsewhere!

Regards,

the plug in the back of my BT1200 is Red, Blue, Green White

in the splitter APP connection its also Red, Blue, Green, White

in the splitter LINE connections its Yellow, Green, Red, Black

in the BT wall socket its not possible to see

I'm having trouble too. Think it could be my wires? maybe I mixed them up when moving!

• 03-26-2010 1:59 PM In reply to

®:

the plug in the back of my BT1200 is Red, Blue, Green White

in the splitter APP connection its also Red, Blue, Green, White

in the splitter LINE connections its Yellow, Green, Red, Black

in the BT wall socket its not possible to see

I'm having trouble too. Think it could be my wires? maybe I mixed them up when moving!

Well... colors aside... it is the "pattern" that is important... defining the difference between a "crossover" and a "straight" line.

From the tridapter to the BT you look OK... a "straight" line...

You will need to confirm that wall jack and make sure that it is a "crossover" or BRGY... the opposite of what you see at the tridapter.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-26-2010 2:58 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

The_Beonic_Man:

I am trying to find these correct cables from somewhere 

Did you find one?

• 03-26-2010 3:02 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

burantek:

make sure that it is a "crossover" or BRGY... the opposite of what you see at the tridapter.

Thanks, I'm hoping thats the answer. I'm now convinced I've mixed up the wires but I cant find the original. If it is one of the many I've tested then its causing me problems. Now I'm not sure if it had one of these on the end

BT to RJ11 Crossover Modem Cable Adaptor

(its been boxed up for more than 6 months during moving)

• 03-26-2010 3:17 PM In reply to

These lines are just POTS RJ11's... nothing fancy.

You folks have Maplin's??? They should have them, or ???

Just hold the two ends up and if the colors reverse... you are in business.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-26-2010 3:28 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

burantek:

Just hold the two ends up and if the colors reverse... you are in business.

The UK cables are sealed on the BT plug end. You can't see the wire colours.

• 03-26-2010 3:33 PM In reply to

®:
    The UK cables are sealed on the BT plug end. You can't see the wires.

Surprise

Laughing

Hmmm...

++++EDIT++++

In light of the differences between US/UK... I am going to recuse myself... there may well be a different lead required for your device.

Better safe than sorry! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 03-28-2010 7:08 AM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

deleted by poster

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)