in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-22-2009 8:03 AM by nmartin771. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2009 6:38 AM

So excited I have to share! ... and a question as well...

On its way to my home is a brand new teammate for my Beolab 9's and 7.4. A Beovision 4-70 MK IV. After lots of thoughts on whether I should stick with my "old" MK II, upgrade to MK III (still available from dealers) or hang in there for the MK IV the decision is now made. And I am on the edge of my chair with excitement.

Also, I just bought myself a pair of almost unused Beolab 3's to go in a new room we're adding to the house. Just to let you know what a bargain this was, they have almost never been played on - I know that for a fact - they are red, and they  became mine at the equivalent for GBP 995, or $ 1640 if you will. And that was including wall brackets!

I am now going to pair the 3's with a Beocenter 2300 or a Beosound 3000. I have an amazing offer on the 2300 as well. Adding up to GBP 335 or $ 550. Any thoughts on what I should choose? According to Beoworld product site the 3000 is packed with new electronics, but are the changes significant regarding listening to radio, cd or the signal output to the speakers?

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 06-21-2009 6:52 AM In reply to

Re: So excited I have to share! ... and a question as well...

Congratulations !

You will never regret it for your BL3 !!!

IMO go for BS3000! You will have ML and more compatibility ...

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 06-21-2009 6:56 AM In reply to

nmartin771:

Congratulations !

Thanks!

I can tell you I went trought several posts and thoughts back and forth! Smile

I am an Apple reseller, and Airport Express would be my choice of wireless music in my house. Then I am also able to navigate where to play, what to play and how from my iPhone. Works as a charm.

My question about the two was more related to sound quality, and output signal. Is there nothing there worth mentioning?

Any thoughts on that?

• 06-21-2009 7:20 AM In reply to

There are differences between the BS3000 and BC2300 - as far as the CD is concerned these are because the Philips assembly was updated regularly - it doesn't however always follow that newer is better! However remeber these devices do have service lives and it makes sense to get a relatively new model. The 3000 is pretty reliable, certainly more so than the 9000 so I would go for one of these. Having said that, I have just acquired a 2300! I like the visible CD!

• 06-21-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

Peter :

There are differences between the BS3000 and BC2300 - as far as the CD is concerned these are because the Philips assembly was updated regularly - it doesn't however always follow that newer is better! However remeber these devices do have service lives and it makes sense to get a relatively new model. The 3000 is pretty reliable, certainly more so than the 9000 so I would go for one of these. Having said that, I have just acquired a 2300! I like the visible CD!

So what you are saying is that the 2300 has a Philips assembly, and the 3000 does not? Anyway, I guess the price asked for the 2300 is quite ok in any case? Since you just bought it, may I ask what the going rate was?

Don't you think that if I have the 2300 serviced, then it might be fine? Seller told me there is a common issue with the doors not closing quite as much up as they should. Gap should be approx 5mm but often tends to be up to 10. A service shop could probably set that straight, don't you think?

Seller also states it plays burned CD's. That indicates it is one of the later models. He says 1999.

• 06-21-2009 9:35 AM In reply to

takktakk:

nmartin771:

Congratulations !

Thanks!

I can tell you I went trought several posts and thoughts back and forth! Smile

I am an Apple reseller, and Airport Express would be my choice of wireless music in my house. Then I am also able to navigate where to play, what to play and how from my iPhone. Works as a charm.

My question about the two was more related to sound quality, and output signal. Is there nothing there worth mentioning?

Any thoughts on that?

Apple reseller, great !

I have couple questions for you Smile

I bought my first iPod classic last week, to store all my music and play trought my system, and I realized that I made mistake ... much better choice would be iPod touch and use him like a remote .

But now I'm stuck with ipod. So my question is, can I use iPod classic like remote somehow ? ( I saw radio transmitter ... ??? )

If is not possible, which dock you recommended me ( with on screen menu ) ?

Thanks!

PS

Looking forward to read your impression about BL3 Smile

Anyway I have BS2300 for quite a long time and I'm really satisfied Smile  my setup

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 06-21-2009 11:46 AM In reply to

All the 2300/3000 type machines use what is basically a Philips laser. However there were lots of changes as Philips (and the company that now makes them) changed specs regularly. I would get as new a machine as possible - I acquired the 2300 as a present for someone to power some Beolab 5000s - a good friend gave it to me for my birthday.

I don't think that an iPod classic is a mistake - it will hold a lot more music than an iPod touch etc - I have a 160Gb classic which is great - much easier to use when in your pocket than an iTouch! You can even use use it with your system via a Beo4 - have a look here. Ridax is a member of Beoworld. Having said that, I do use an iPod Touch and iPhone as well and they are superb as remotes.

• 06-21-2009 3:56 PM In reply to

nmartin771:

[Apple reseller, great !

I have couple questions for you Smile

I bought my first iPod classic last week, to store all my music and play trought my system, and I realized that I made mistake ... much better choice would be iPod touch and use him like a remote .

But now I'm stuck with ipod. So my question is, can I use iPod classic like remote somehow ? ( I saw radio transmitter ... ??? )

If is not possible, which dock you recommended me ( with on screen menu ) ?

Thanks!

P

Congratulations on your iPod Classic!

It is really not fair to compare a Classic to a Touch, as they are completely different products. As pointed out above, the Classic is made mainly for storage, both as a music/video player and for files in general. The Touch has much less capacity, but holds the future of the mobile platforms. It will of course play your music, but in addition there is iTunes store, iCal, Mail, a fantastic Safari Internet browser and of course WiFi - just to mention some parts. It really is an iPhone without the Phone. Of course there is also the App Store, that among other things offers the remote applications in question.

However, I would like to state two things: Your purchase does not have to be the wrong one. You probably have quite a few files to store since you opted for the Classic. Also - to really benefit from Apples superior (forgive me B&O) wireless music solutions, you need to connect your music system to iTunes, and Apple TV if you have one, via an Airport Express at the location of your system (unless your computer is right next to it). So the genius of Apple solutions, at least related to B&O in your home, really only come to life with a few but not pricy items in addition.

As for using iPod Classic as a remote - that is not possible. It has no hardware that can send any signals at all. It is true that there is a transmitter to buy as an extra, but that is just for sending the contents via FM signals ie to the stereo in your car. To the best of my knowledge there are no extras out there making the Classic take charge of anything, but there are solutions for letting it respond to a remote as pointed out in another post.

Hope this was helpful to you. Might as well face it. You need them both... Smile

• 06-21-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

takktakk:

nmartin771:

P

Congratulations on your iPod Classic!

However, I would like to state two things: Your purchase does not have to be the wrong one. You probably have quite a few files to store since you opted for the Classic. Also - to really benefit from Apples superior (forgive me B&O) wireless music solutions, you need to connect your music system to iTunes, and Apple TV if you have one, via an Airport Express at the location of your system (unless your computer is right next to it). So the genius of Apple solutions, at least related to B&O in your home, really only come to life with a few but not pricy items in addition.

Thanks, Takktakk !

I see .... I'm using iTunes as my only player on (forgive me to say Smile ) my PC. 

Basically, I want to control music from my iPod wirelessly somehow ? I've heard about variety of dock's .... Peter also told me about ridax ... I will see.

As apple reseller what you can suggest me, like a best solution ? And is it possible to have on screen menu from iPod ? I don't have Apple TV.

My system is BC1 - Master link to converter 1611 - AUX BS2300 and BC1 - SCART to iPod .

Thank you very much!

• 06-21-2009 4:56 PM In reply to

So you run a PC, except when it crashes and does other stuff that annoys you, and leaves you totally out of control... Everybody has something yet to discover... ha ha.

I understand what you say, about controlling music from your iPod. But.. why? iTunes is the mother of your iPod musicwise, and as such also the main library. My point being that there might be music in your iTunes library that you would like to play from time to time, but for some reason did not sync to your iPod. Maybe not with the capacity of a Classic, but most certainly with almost any other model. So in a nice setup you do not want to control your iPod but your iTunes library. And that is what you want your iPod to do for you - being the remote itself.

If you buy yourself an Airport Express base station (click to see), you can use your WiFi system to send all the music from your PC to your BC1 and control everything with your iPod Touch or iPhone. You can also have several around the house, and connect them to Beolab 4 PC version and Beolab 3 (minijack to minijack) without any other source in between. Your iPod will then let you choose if only one or more of the Airport Express bases should play, you name them yoruself i.e. living room, bedroom, kitchen etc. Your iPod will also let you set the volume, and choose whatever you want from your entire iTunes library. 

You will be left with such a strong system, and an enourmous ability to take control of music and sound in your house. Not to mention the cost, which is nothing at all compared to some other systems we know about....

I am a true B&O enthusiast, and do not mistake my post as anything else than love for smart solutions combined with the brand we love. B&O wireless solutions will also, in many cases, interfear with your WiFi system. What I am talking about here, is a part of your exsisting WiFi system and as such just an addition.

Good luck! Smile

• 06-21-2009 5:26 PM In reply to

Thank you very much !

As I understand you ( I need to make it simple Smile just to understand ), I need to connect Airport Express to BC1 and to make it work with my PC. With iPod classic connect to PC I can control music from iTunes on PC and iPod via computer, and if I ad iPod touch or iPhone I can use it like a remote ?

But if I want to play music from my iPod, when PC is off, I need for that dock ? or just connect iPod classic to AE ?

Uh.... sorry to ask to many question, but it need to be clear for me to understand.

Anyway, I'm a MAC user as well, I still have my PB G4 titanium Smile And it still working Smile My wife iMac and iPhone Smile

I'm using PC only because of AutoCAD and 3D MAX, because these are my basic programs for work. I'm an Architect Smile

Thanks for help !

• 06-21-2009 5:39 PM In reply to

Well almost...

Yes - you connect Airport Express to BC1. That way your PC can be located anywhere else in the house.

You do not need to connect iPod Classic to your PC for anything else than syncing it.

iPhone and iPod Touch as remote towards iTunes and Airort Express - yes.

If you want to play music while PC is off, you can use a dock, but also just minijack to minijack or minijack to phono. One (minijack) out of iPod, and the other end into any system with either aux or phono in.

If it is important to you to be able to remotely control your classic you need a dock with that functionality.

That is about it :-)

• 06-21-2009 5:48 PM In reply to

I see, now it is clear !

Thanks!

It is worth to try Smile

• 06-21-2009 5:53 PM In reply to

The only way to get to the music stored on your ipod is through an ipod dock of some kind. 

I use ridax's beopc solution at the moment with the beo4 controlling my mac mini's itunes.

I did use the airport/Ipod touch system for a while but it was driving me nuts with too many actions necessary to get anything done. 
    Problem with it is that the touch doesn't go into 'low' mode but stays fully powered (till the batteries run out ....) Also depending on your network, it can be a second or two before the mac wakes up if you use the Ipod touch. Though it is the better solution if you create multlple zones. I didn't need that because ML already present.

My beomaster7000 controls my macmini itunes with the beo4. All the basic functions are covered : Play, stop, pause, skip to next song, previous song and select playlist. More than enough for me. Works flawless.
    I wrote a little applescript that opens up itunes in full screen coverflow mode on tv. Works great in party's as people see what's playing.

Regards.

• 06-21-2009 6:16 PM In reply to

Hello cooldude !

Sounds interesting ! Instead of macmini I would have iPod classic .... control via beo4 ? ... great !

Maybe this is the best solution !

I will email radix to see what they thinking.

What kind of solution is ridax ? I saw they have cable or dock solution, and it seams to me complicated to install ?

• 06-21-2009 7:00 PM In reply to

the ipod touch is a fiarly lousy mp3 player, the dac chip in the ipod classic is really better (I had both and yes there is a difference.)

If you want play music from computer,  http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/beopc.htm

It's just a weird looking wire and a little software (mac or pc)  it plugs in with datalink (like a cd player or a tape deck)  in to your beomaster or beocenter and the other end plugs in the audio out and the serial or usb(with convertor) of the mac or pc.
    A cheap and simple solution that works great for me as I no longer have an ipod but use a mac mini with itunes .  

The dock is really great , has it's own built-in ir receiver and makes your ipod controllable with beo remote. (I would have bought one if I still had ipod) One of the best solutions for playing music from your ipod directly to your beosound , all by beo remote control.
    You can have it as a diy kit or buy ready made. You can send in your own dock if you want to have it modified by Ridax. 
    http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/ipod.htm

Both solutions are basically plug and play and I had mine up and running in about one minute ..Smile

• 06-22-2009 12:18 AM In reply to

takktakk:

Peter :

So what you are saying is that the 2300 has a Philips assembly, and the 3000 does not? Anyway, I guess the price asked for the 2300 is quite ok in any case? Since you just bought it, may I ask what the going rate was?

Don't you think that if I have the 2300 serviced, then it might be fine? Seller told me there is a common issue with the doors not closing quite as much up as they should. Gap should be approx 5mm but often tends to be up to 10. A service shop could probably set that straight, don't you think?

Seller also states it plays burned CD's. That indicates it is one of the later models. He says 1999.

I have an early 16-bit BC 2500 (same as 2300 but with a cassette player) from 1991 that plays any CD including burned CD-Rs with no trouble at all.

Cleve 

• 06-22-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

Takktakk, did you get yours BL3 ?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)