in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-24-2009 7:16 AM by Mukky. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-19-2009 6:24 AM

• Mukky
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-17-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Avant Powering itself off

Hi

Recently my Avant developed a habit of Powering itself off , then returning back.   However, during the last such event, the Avant lost the SAT option.  When pressing the SAT button, on the Beo4 remote, I got no response from the Sat box. The TV, DVD, and TAPE buttons were ok.

I did some troubleshooting :

a) Checked the SAT box manually, this was ok

b) Checked the thin cable between the Avant and the Sat box., Connection if fine,  there are signs of slight crushing but no breaks in the cable

c)  Beo4 remote batteries ok   

Then, I reconfigured the SAT option via Menu/Connections and the SAT button is Ok again.

My Qs are

1)      Has any one encountered random Powering off on Avants?

2)      Is powering-off a sign of future problems  - big costs in the near future.?

3)      Is the slight cable damage (due to crushing between SAT box and bracket) serious. ?

Any help from the forum is greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards.

Filed under:
  • 06-19-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

Re: Avant Powering itself off

A very warm welcome to Beoworld..

Generally speaking if an AVANT is turning off without any user switching it off leaving only the standby light on means most likely that the safety circuit has been triggered.

This is further supported by your statement that you apparently lost the SAT setup information.

With regards to your questions:-

1. This is not a particularly common problem and does not need to be an expensive issue, because the safety circuit tends to stop any real serious damage.
    2. Powering off clearly shows there is a fault of some kind
    3. This depends how damaged the cable is, if damage has removed insulation showing the inner cores of the cable which could short, then that is a problem you should get fixed.

How often does the AVANT switch off ?

Other than the STB connected to the SCART connector, is there anything else connected to the AVANT ?

Regards Keith....

• 06-23-2009 6:00 PM In reply to

• Mukky
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-17-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Hi Keith
    I replied but it appears you have not received, so here goes again.....

Thank you for the welcome and for the quick response.  I am glad to hear the problem is not a common one and also happy that the safety circuitry is there.

The cable damage appears superficial, the insulation is deformed but no inner cores are exposed. Is it possible, this damage will cause the safety circuit to activate ?. If so, I would appreciate details (supplier, part No. etc ) so that I can replace.

To answer your Qs:

How often does the AVANT switch off ?

The Avant has switched off (and went to Standby) on two separate days, about 1 week apart.
          a)  the 1st occasion, it was 3 times in quick succession, each time all was ok on return
          b)  the 2nd occasion, it was twice and this time I lost the setup of SAT button
    Each time, I powered down the Avant for safety. I invested in a surge protector when I first bought the Avant.

Other than the STB, is there anything else connected to the AVANT via SCART?

The Avant has VCR built in and a Pioneer DVD.  Beo4 remote works these ok. 

Both were purchased with the Avant and installed by the B&O Dealer

Btw, I have checked all scart connectors on the back of the Avant, they are pushed home ok.

Kind Regards
    Filed under:
  • 06-24-2009 2:50 AM In reply to

Given that there are no exposed wires on the cable, then this is unlikely to be your problem.

Based on your feedback, I took particular note that you have the AVANT connected to a surge protector, this is both good and bad in my view and you will see why below.

It may be that you just had a serial of mains "Brown Outs" as defined in the trade, this is where the incoming power goes outside the normal voltage and/or frequency values for a very short time (normally milli-seconds), but would be enough to trigger the AVANT safety circuit and put it into standby. In such circumstances you may see a quick change in the brightness of lights etc, but other than that everything would appear normal.

If you did get "Brown Outs" and in particular if the power went higher than its normal working value a couple of times, the surge protector would hopefully do its job, but would also mean that the AVANT protection may not trigger so quickly, so if there was a up/down mains transition, the Eprom holding the SAT information could be effected.

Also, whilst the surge protector is a simple device it can also become faulty without you knowing it, so if the problem continues I would replace or remove the surge protector, particularly as the AVANT does have a fairly good protection circuit.

Regards Keith....

• 06-24-2009 7:16 AM In reply to

• Mukky
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-17-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 3
    • Bronze Member

Your "Brown out" explanation has merit.  My area is prone to mains problems including  long term power cuts. There is hope, however, the frequency of power cuts has gone down in recent months.

Also, I have not had any problems with the Avant since the last time when I reconfigured the SAT function.

I will remember the surge protector, if similar problems arise again.

Good diagnosis Keith, and thanks again.

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)