in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-24-2009 9:39 AM by Santiago. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2009 2:10 PM

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

New Panasonic 85" plasma, will it come to B&O?

From Engadet web news site.  Maybe B&O will make a smaller version of BV4-103?

Panasonic unveils 85-inch plasma at InfoComm '09

Sure we'd love to see Panasonic mass produce that 4K 150-inch plasma, but so far we'll just have to be happy with acheaper 103-inch HDTV and the latest model, an 85-inch 1080p display it's showing off at InfoComm '09 this week. All that super size flat panel building experience has been poured into a package that is 99mm thick and apparently 30 percent lighter per square inch than its 103-inch cousin, at a total of 130Kg. This one's coming through business channels to Japan and the U.S. this fall, 'til then you'll just have to live with your 4 x 42-inch matrix setup or for the cost conscious, a projector.

• 06-19-2009 2:32 AM In reply to

Re: New Panasonic 85" plasma, will it come to B&O?

Size must be one of those relative things. I have a Sony 27" crt Trinitron that produces a picture that I always thought was remarkably good. I think I only paid $350 U.S. for it brand new. I've never felt a desire to get rid of it actually, my brother has a 42" flat panel & I always thought it was way out there size wise but I'm sure you get used to it pretty quickly. Here in the States Congress passed some legislation that required all tv broadcasts to be in digital & no longer analog. This move required either getting rid of our analog only tv's & buying new, or buying a converter dac box, or purchasing television cable which I always thought stunk to high heaven. Cable tv here is usually five hundred channels & nothing is on, etc. There was no referendum, no vote taken, simply a bill passed in Washington. My mom thinks it was a scam by big industry which has lobbyists & special interest groups who were able to bend the ears of legislators in D.C. to get everyone to dump their equipment & run out & buy new stuff. 

I imagine in a few years when oled is ready for prime time the size will be twice as large again at one third the price possibly. 

• 06-19-2009 3:57 AM In reply to

I agree Duncan, you have only so much space in your home and some screens are exhaustingly big now (particularly if they happen to be LCD). I bought the first Pioneer 42" Plasma nearly 6 years ago (I did showcase the B&O but it did not do it for me sorry) when I first moved to Singapore; it still IMHO has a picture quality that is hard to beat.

LCD has never done it for me. I work with Sharp as one of our strategic partners and several years ago they showed me an entire wall of a showroom which was a single planel LCD. So yes you can get huge screens but picture quality and viewing enjoyment is what matters.

Samsung has now released their OLED screens in this part of the world - you can get their 40" screen for under 4KSGD and they toss in a 27" (I think that is the size) LCD (which IMHO is all that LCD is good for - free gifts). And it is around 1" thick in total, and uses SIGNIFICANTLY less power than LCD - so this really is a significant breakthrough and makes LCD so last century now.

The same cannot be said of OLED. Now this is looking pretty good and starts to rival Plasma for reproductive quality.

One comment re HDTV. I recently was in Australia where they are digital broadcasting and I was watching on HDTV - what was pretty apparent was that unless the studios and directors start to change the lighting and filming techniques on the models on your favourite TV show, these "beauties" suddenly start to look a bit ordinary  - skin blemishes, open pores and all!

Regards Simon

• 06-19-2009 4:35 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Are you sure they are OLED TV's? This keeps cropping up (no doubt supported by Samsung's marketing department who insist on calling them LED TV's) - my understanding is that these TV's are LCD with LED backlighting. OLED is something quite different (and considerably more expensive at the moment).

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-24-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

I assume so yes. Organic LED (OLED) technology has been around for a while now (and is on the dashboard of the latest Lexus BTW).

Samsung claim significant energy reduction vs LED and super slim housing the for the screen.

The Koreans as usual dont understand how to maximise their margins on either new technology or hold their pricing in market. There is a war going on between LG and Samsung globally and we the consumers are the winners...............in the short term

• 06-24-2009 8:50 AM In reply to

Hi!

Oled and LED technology are NOT the same. LED is basically a LCD technology. OLED is still 2-3 years away.

Ahmet1

• 06-24-2009 9:30 AM In reply to

Correct! LED is still LCD and no one has 40" OLED for sale yet. And GA for an OLED that size is still some time away.

• 06-24-2009 9:39 AM In reply to

Puncher:
    TV's are LCD with LED backlighting. OLED is something quite different (and considerably more expensive at the moment).

Ahmet1:
    Oled and LED technology are NOT the same. LED is basically a LCD technology. OLED is still 2-3 years away.

chrisped:
    LED is still LCD and no one has 40" OLED for sale yet. And GA for an OLED that size is still some time away.

Absolutely correct !! Yes -  thumbs up

Santiago

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)