in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-27-2009 4:41 AM by benjnz. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-18-2009 8:51 AM

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

New Flat - masterlink + lights + blinds

Hi All

Looks like I'll be moving into a new flat soon so here's the oppertunity I've been looking for to get things automated.

My intention is to :

- have all rooms masterlinked (and all bedrooms + kitchen RF linked too for TV)

- Remote controlled lighting including table lamps (I have a Beo5 but would prefer compatibility with Beo4 too)

- Remote controlled Electric blinds

My questions are therefore:

1. With no details on the forthcoming upgrade to masterlink, is there a way to setup a future proof B&O linking system? Perhaps via ethernet then some sort of adaptor? I really don't want to go to the expense and inconvenience of masterlinking the whole place only to have to rip it all out and start again when B&O FINALLY find a way to distribute HD content properly.

2. Is there a cost effective, and more importantly, non invasive way to control lights (currently normal switches) and electric blinds (not yet installed)? Lutron has a great reputation but from what I understand it virtually requires complete re-wiring! I was looking into X10 as an alternative but would welcome and advice /experiences from members.

Any advice / links to existing threads / experiences would be greatfully received!

Thanks

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 06-18-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Re: New Flat - masterlink + lights + blinds

1. The Danish company Lauritz Knudsen have a product called IHC net which is compatible with masterlink and power link. The system is based on RJ45 connectors which can be used for: computer network, antenna, telephone, masterlink or powerlink depending on how you connect it in the switch box. You can allways move the patch cable in you switchbox so the connector in the room is used for one of the other functions so if B&O chooses to use ethernet for the next generation of link systems it is very easy to make it work this way.

I don't know if this system is avalible in the UK.  

• 06-18-2009 11:43 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Congratulations on your new London flat.  And a very good idea to think ahead, out of the box, as to what is coming in electronics and audio visual sources.

Having tried both wireles and wired systems, I remain with wired. Too much electronics ( phone, PC, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. ) and you can create field problems which interfere with each other. I pull wires therefore, in silicone conduit if I can, and in some cases have drilled when confronted with thick masonry walls.

HD:  There was a non-B&O product out a few years ago which carried wireless TV using a LAN. The problem is that it was not true HD, and subject to vehicle engines, planes, all creating snow. HD, at the moment, works well with a single HDMI line for digital sound and digital picture. This lies next to the ML cable with no problems, but if you are going to pull long runs, purchase the HDMI with repeater nubs built-into the cable.

M-L: I learned to make my own long M-L runs by asking a B&O store owner if I could go out with an installer for a day. I learned a great deal, and have a lot of respect for what installers encounter ( Dust, spiders, mice, kids, dogs, and rabid homeowners ). Constructing your own connectors and junction boxes at first seems tedious, but like tieing fly-fishing flies, becomes an art which one can be proud of when all that beautiful sound pours perfectly out of a M-L linked BeoLab.

Lights:  Yes, perfectly suited to a Beo 4 or 5,  but not inexpensive.  Curtains: Same, and slow, too slow in fact ( I've gone back to manually pulling the curtains and blinds). A slow luxury, if you will, and if you want it.

What the future brings ?  You have a wealth of learned and knowleged members here at Beoworld to suggest what is coming, what they have tested and tried out, good and bad. Fibre-optics, wireless, string between cans ?

Who knows: Stay tuned.

• 06-18-2009 2:16 PM In reply to

there is a masterlink gateway from B&O

this module maes it possoble to link with de beo4 en5 with knx or eib

• 06-19-2009 4:58 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

I would use shielded CAT7 / Ethernetcabling and B&O cables ML/PL to ethernet/RJ45 (ML distribution box at central point), search forum for this.

Why distribute Video? I cannot see the point in this. Via Ethernet you can "connect" set-top box, media players etc.
    A Central NAS (network attach storage) etc. can hold your DVD/blueray collection.

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 06-19-2009 5:20 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions so far...please keep them coming!

Ralf, I have to say I don't quite understand your suggestion! Are you saying use ethernet + some sort of adaptor instead of masterlink?

As for the video part, my point is that I want to be able to view my living room sources in all linked rooms. As far as I know you currently do this via RF cable, but I was hoping for a solution that would give me a better chance of distributing HD content in the future when B&O finds a solution. It would also be nice if the SD picture quality was better than via RF too.

What I was really hoping someone would say was:

'run ethernet around the flat, then in each room connect the ethernet to a box that has masterlink and RF/SCART/HDMI coming out of it.'

This solution would also make wiring easier since I would be running just an ethernet cable rather than ML and RF.

Am I a little over optimistic!?

• 06-19-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Check this thread: http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/9181.aspx?PageIndex=1

ML over Ethernet / PL over ethernet. See latest Masterlink handbook for details/part numbers.

For HDMI distribution I have no idea. But what source could be in your living room that cannot be attached to ethernet for access via a set-top box or media player from another room?

I would not distribute video but data!

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 06-19-2009 5:39 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Ralf, by ditributing the data signal rather than a video signal doesn't that mean that I need a decoder in each room (eg cable tv box in each room)?

As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong), B&O users either use RF to distribute video (reasonable quality picture, especially over short runs) or HDMI cables run from source to an HDMI distribution box to all TV's.

I have not heard of distributing the data then decoding locally.

Apologies if my understanding is wrong, I'm relatively new to B&O.

• 06-19-2009 5:47 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

k984942:

Ralf, by ditributing the data signal rather than a video signal doesn't that mean that I need a decoder in each room (eg cable tv box in each room)?

Yes, this is true.

Here in Germany most TV content over satellite is free to air so this is not an issue - get another box and no extra costs involved.

There are workarounds for sky using linux based decoders (not legal, i don't support this) to use one card for another box via ethernet (card sharing).

No idea about HDMI distribution (cable length is an issue here).

Ralf

• 06-19-2009 5:55 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

OK, many thanks for your suggestions Ralf.

Its looking like I may have to just network things the traditional way....ML and RF!

I just hope B&O don't bring out an all singing all dancing ML2 in the next few months! Speaking of which, anyone heard any rumours?

• 06-19-2009 6:02 AM In reply to

The only rumour I've heard is that it 'will happen' but no real  idea when.  I assume if and when it does happen they'll have to release some sort of MLHD->ML+RF converter, else it'll render a load of older B&O kit fairly useless for link purposes.

If you're running ML + RF, I'd run some CAT5 alongside just to add a bit of futureproofing.

• 06-19-2009 6:07 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Sorry if this question sounds silly csmager, but could you explain why you think Cat5 would give me some future proofing? Would I be right in assuming you think that that will probably be the standard B&O adopt for their new Beolink system?

• 06-19-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

A digital ethernet-cable based system is only a rumour, but I'm sure I read it somewhere on this site.

In addition to that, though, CAT5 is extremely useful.  You can buy multiplexers (admittedly expensive) that can shove HDMI, analogue audio/video etc down CAT5 cable digitally.  Or you can use it for traditional wired networking purposes - new B&O products require network connections for updates (BeoSound5, BV7 Blu-Ray etc)

And, added to that, it's dirt cheap.

• 06-19-2009 7:47 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

k984942:

...........Its looking like I may have to just network things the traditional way....ML and RF!

Maybe you can use this one :http://eu.bosscom.com/product.asp?id=550&m1=1331&m2=1361&m3=&m4=

ML and RF in one cable.

Stefan

• 06-26-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for all your input guys, always appreciated!

I was just thinking that I could probably survive without beolink for a few months if the forum feels the new digital solution might be out by then.

Any ideas chaps?

Thanks

• 06-27-2009 1:34 AM In reply to

• kawo
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 516
    • Founder

I would guess what ever solution B&O will come along with and has to be based on Ethernet as the rest of the world has done. With a CAT7 cableing from a central point (ideal two wires) I could not imagine any service you would not be able to run.

However, there is an intersting concept which gives you full flexibilty for all services (data, video, audio etc). check this one out: 

http://www.leoni-ftth.com/Kerpen-HomeNet.7477.0.html?&L=1

and they offer B&O connectors as well

Not cheap but acording to my dealer worth of the money spent

BV4-50, Beosystem 3, Beolab 5, Beolab 3, BV3-32, BV1, BS9000, Beolab 4, Beolab 2000, Beo4 Cinema

• 06-27-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I've avoided putting in ML too because of the rumours, all I can get from my dealer is it'll be CAT based and maybe this year Unsure

If you can wait I'd wait, or if you want to start at least make sure you embed tubes everywhere so you can pull through whatever cable is required at a future date.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)