in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-17-2009 9:56 PM by benjnz. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-16-2009 2:02 AM

Two Questions

1.  Since losing my B&O system,  money restraints have had me suffering with a crapload of substandard sound.  The best I've finally wound up with really isn't all that bad...A '90 Nakamichi Stasis TA-4A (they call it a "tuner/amplifier", but it's a glorified reciever), an old Sony CD player, and a Miller&Kreisal sat/subwoofer set.  But these sat drivers are neigh on 12 years old now, and will start showing their age where it counts.  The subwoofer is still in great shape, so I was wondering if any B&O speakers might do well to replace the satillites.  Perhaps the CX100's if ever available?  Or should I not waste my time and their capabilities?

2. How do the forum members refer to themselves?  Do you call yourselves "Bangers", or perhaps "Beowulfs"?

Just asking...

Whitefang

• 06-16-2009 6:53 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: Two Questions

whitefang:

2. How do the forum members refer to themselves?  Do you call yourselves "Bangers", or perhaps "Beowulfs"?

BeoPhiles

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 06-16-2009 6:57 AM In reply to

whitefang:
    How do the forum members refer to themselves?

Beoworlder...

• 06-16-2009 7:22 AM In reply to

Speaking of BeoWords - under previous management, products were BeoLate ...

• 06-16-2009 7:30 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

whitefang:

Just asking...

Whitefang

Beoholics....

Stefan

• 06-16-2009 7:53 AM In reply to

Deadly form of the Beovirus. No treatment centres as yet.

Comes with ownership.

You have been warned!

• 06-16-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

BeoFusion - that's a very advanced state of confusion, often resulting as you navigate B&O quirks, such as option-programming. (I remain grateful to the people on this site who helped me navigate that!)

• 06-16-2009 8:13 AM In reply to

I take it that the speakers you mention are passive? If so, CX100s are acceptable speakers for a small room - I use a pair regularly myself and am always surprised they sound so good. However if a bigger room, I would suggest getting a full range speaker - S75s or S120s are both usually very cheap - remembering that the S120s will need reconing.

Sub woofers are great for movies but can be less good for music. It all depends on the cross over frequency. The Cona sub woofer made for the CX100s is a good case in point as it has a high cross over frequency and hence one can localise the sub woofer if not positioned correctly.

Not convinced I would start with the speakers though. Or maybe I would consider a pair of BL4000s second hand. The receiver could well have a line out output which would work.

• 06-17-2009 12:30 AM In reply to

Pete,

The satillites are passive, with a powered subwoofer.  The subwoofer has a High pass filter adjustment, so getting good sound for music is no problem.  You sound as if you recomend the CX 100s as a replacement for the total package, and I simply want to know if they would be good for satillites.  My "reciever" is 100w per channel.

Whitefang

• 06-17-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

whitefang:

Pete,

The satillites are passive, with a powered subwoofer.  The subwoofer has a High pass filter adjustment, so getting good sound for music is no problem.  You sound as if you recomend the CX 100s as a replacement for the total package, and I simply want to know if they would be good for satillites.  My "reciever" is 100w per channel.

Whitefang

I have had a 5.1 setup with cx50's which is fine  for movies but not that great for music.
    Now I replaced them all with cx100's which do the job pretty nicely and I can recommend them (also ask my neighbours....Whistle.).  
    They perform very well (just like Peter, I am amazed how good they sound for their size) both for movies and stereo when they're in top condition. In fact they perform so good that they have become the speakers of my main audio system till I can afford some beolab 5 or 9's.

If they don't have to be B&O and/or size is no problem many other possibilities are available to you.

• 06-17-2009 7:46 PM In reply to

cooldude:

[quote

If they don't have to be B&O and/or size is no problem many other possibilities are available to you.

Well, no, they don't HAVE to be B&O.  I just thought B&O's would make an improved replacement satillite over the original.  Or, I could simply replace the drivers.  If and when I have to, that is...

Whitefang

• 06-17-2009 9:56 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

hmmm BeoSkint for me Sad

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)