in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-17-2009 7:52 PM by whitefang. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-13-2009 2:02 AM

B&O placement; fun for a change

This may seem like a silly game to some, but let's rack our brain and pass the time.

I noticed over the years, that B&O components have showed up as "props" or "product placement" in a few movies and TV shows.  Have any of you?  My examples are:

1.  In that movie(title forgotten) where Brendan Fraser is locked in a '60's bomb shelter for 40 years, he winds up in the house Alicia Silverstone stays at which shows a pair of Beolab 6000 speakers.  They don't show and system they might be hooked up to.

2.  In an episode of "Willand Grace", guest Kevin Bacon is staying in a house that shows a Beosound 9000 propped up on the fireplace mantle.  No loudspeakers are shown.

And the horrifying Third example...

3.  In Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation",  A spear of ice from his gutter flies into his next door neighbor's window completely destroying what looks like a Beosystem 4500! (SOB!)  I said "looks like".  You know me!;)

Have any of you spotted any other examples?

Whitefang

• 06-13-2009 4:23 AM In reply to

Re: B&O placement; fun for a change

There was a thread on this somewhere but I cannot find it. Products vary from a Beocenter 2200 in a Kylie Minogue video to an Ouverture in a version of the Simpsons!

• 06-13-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

In many episodes of Friends, you can see an Ouverture/Lab2500 system at the back of the apartment. Then in a plot line where Monica was dating a business mogul, his office was very well furnished with Bang & Olufsen, including BeoSound9000.

Apologies if this duplicates any posts in the thread that Peter mentioned. I didn't see that thread. I get lots of stick from the family if we are watching a programme/movie and I spot Bang & Olufsen products.

The "I should be so lucky" video by Kylie also featured a pair Penta speakers as well as the BeoCentre2200 Peter.

The store in Liverpool, loaned BeoSound9000, Lab8000's, Beo4 and BeoCom2 to the production company who make Hollyoaks for Channel4.  The BeoCom2 ring tone was recorded by their sound engineers and featured in the plot line of last Christmas' special which was filmed at Knowsley Hall on Merseyside.

Opman

• 06-13-2009 4:44 AM In reply to

Here's an old thread, which almost immediately refers to an older thread Laughing

-mika

• 06-14-2009 3:35 AM In reply to

I often shreak at the tv when I spot B&O products! Did anyone spot a few in the apprentice?

• 06-16-2009 1:44 AM In reply to

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to BORE any of you with this thread.  Just trying to contribute SOMEthing.

But isn't it funny that when a movie or TV show wants to portray an air of class, style or taste, they throw in some kind of Bang & Olufsen product?

And thanks for the link to the old thread.  Should have guessed this topic was done before.  I have DVDs of a few of the films mentioned, and will keep a sharper eye.

Whitefang

• 06-16-2009 1:53 AM In reply to

We should do as good a job as this. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-SAAB.html?PHPSESSID=ff33c7e478ae45b0b780f12026755a4a

Breakdown by model of which SAAB cars have been in which movies ... SAAB cars have been used since forever to portray individualism, sophistication, going it alone, doing my own thing. You'd be amazed to see the number of film stars who have stuck with the brand, through various movies - and all for free, because they liked what the brand said about them. Much more frequent appearances before, not as common today - though what's fun is that they'll be using old models. Consider Sideways, for instance.

Whitefang is right, there's a reason why B&O keeps popping up in movies. Yesterday I learned, from The Jarman Brothers' Book (sounds like a band - The Jarman Brothers, they must have heard that before) - anyway, I learned that Beolab 5/Beomaster 5 was used by Kubrick in Clockwork Orange because of their futuristic look. Guess that's why Steven Spielberg used the A8-in-ear in Minority Report.

Ari in Entourage has a crush on B&O, and there are oodles of other references. I've been told that sales of BL5s went up after Dark Knight premiered!

• 06-16-2009 11:18 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

whitefang:

1.  In that movie(title forgotten) where Brendan Fraser is locked in a '60's bomb shelter for 40 years, he winds up in the house Alicia Silverstone stays at which shows a pair of Beolab 6000 speakers.  They don't show and system they might be hooked up to.

"Blast from the Past" - was in fact BL8000 with a BS9000 laying flat on a bench... i saw this film a couple of months ago, and remember the scene of him putting his ear up to the speakers being fascinated by the advance in technology since he'd been in the bomb shelter.

I too suffer from blurting out as soon as i spot anything B&O on TV/movies... nobody seems to get it, which is a right shame - i'm sure you can all relate to that feeling!! :( I just appear to be a bit of an obsessive haha! Oh well don't care, i love B&O :)

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-17-2009 5:22 AM In reply to

In the series "Smallville" there's a lot of B&O. I've seen: BeoSound Ouverture, BS 4, BS 9000, Beolab 1, BL 8000 + some BeoCom's.

The 4500 system in "Christmas Vacation" is luckily not destroyed in real life. I've watched it on DVD and set it on "still" after the System blows up. I can tell you that the debris is not from a 4500 system. It's just some mirror-splinters, plastic pieces and some electronic parts (looks like a piece of a PC-motherboard). As we all know the top of the 4500 system is aluminum-plates, and they will not splinter like a mirror.

Steffen

• 06-17-2009 7:52 PM In reply to

I'll have to watch more "Smallville".

I'm relieved to hear no "real" Beocenter is destroyed in "Christmas Vacation".  I organize my movies by genre and alphabetically,  so now I can take that one out of "Horror", and back in "Holiday".

Whitefang

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)