in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-15-2009 4:42 AM by Kokomo. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-12-2009 9:45 AM

our BV8-32 installation

In all the discussions/concerns about the BV7-40 MkIV I deferred my order and bought an ex-demo BV8-32 which was installed on Friday.

The install was achieved by youngest son as I am overseas.  So after many emails, and a few long 'phone conversations we settled on a plan.  My son, Tom, and Sue went out and acquired the necessary extra cables to achieve the following:

BV8 wiring diagram

Sue emptied out a cupboard, and even did some carpentry, so we could hide all the cabling and bits & pieces:

Hiding the rats' nest

And then together with the B&O service man they connected everything and powered it all up - voila:

The proof is in the tasting

So far they have enjoyed watching TV ("Silent Witness" above), PS3 DVD, PS3 pulling a video file across the wireless network (crashed the  network at one point), music from the BeoSound 4 in the other room (CD, FM, and SD card), and music from the BeoPlayer (in the old compaq laptop).

The great thing about this, apart from it working so smoothly after many hours of planning and preparation, is that Tom has gained a deep insight and appreciation of the technical aspects of B&O.

And a final word of thanks to Tony for coming up with the deal and being so flexible, for Kim for being equally patient and entertaining, and for Gavin who did not realise how we would be pushing the B&O limits on this one.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-12-2009 10:19 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: our BV8-32 installation

*loud applause* Big Smile

I really like this!

How do you go with foxtel? I've always found the quality of the sound and picture content to be very poor..

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-12-2009 10:44 AM In reply to

Well we have existed with Foxtel since its birth but always with standard TVs with built-in speakers.  When we were in the UK I bought a second hand Avant which convinced Sue to go BeoVision.

Time will tell if Foxtel proves inadequate for this setup.  I rarely watch Foxtel anyway (or any TV for that matter), and Sue used to use Foxtel mainly for lifestyle programs.

The "boys" used to use Foxtel more than we did.  I suspect with this set-up our use of Foxtel will decline further.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 06-12-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

Congrats, even though I feel the PS3 has to go ........ I have the 32" as well I am sure you will enjoy it .....

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-12-2009 11:10 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

Nice. I want to hook some lab 3's to mine.......... 

• 06-12-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

Hi,

Nice looking BV8 . Is it in white ?
    I started saving up for a 40" myself ...( sigh... will take a while..)

Good looking setup    Smile enjoy !!

• 06-12-2009 3:37 PM In reply to

Congrats, even though I feel the PS3 has to go ........ I have the 32" as well I am sure you will enjoy it .....

JK

oh I agree !!!

In my plan it was in the cupboard ... however the System Module that arrived contained a DVB tuner that robbed us of one of the two IR controllers.

However on my return ....

:D

• 06-12-2009 3:56 PM In reply to

• mason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2008
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

Looks great! I have virtually the same set-up (along with a BC2). BV8 – like marmite – loved or loathed. I love it – a unique B&O design.

• 06-12-2009 7:52 PM In reply to

Marmite ?

Marmite ??

Surely not !

Don't you mean Vegamite ?

(now here starts a Brit versus Aussie flame war on an obscure or is it obscene taste in food)

• 06-12-2009 7:59 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Marmite... euch... i'd rather lick the underside of my car.

Vegamite.. never heard of it, apart from in a song called 'Down Under' by 'Men at Work'

That said, the guy that offered it to him was from Brussels?

I think you'd best listen to the song on YouTube... Laughing

Lee

PS - Nice set up! (getting back on-topic). Those BL3's need re-casing in white Wink (your next project) Big Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-12-2009 10:16 PM In reply to

I agree the BL3s should be recast in white - so much nicer and shiny - suitable for a BeoJackdaw or is it BeoMagpie ? oh definetly a magpie :)

And yes to the earlier query it is a white BV8 but wherever it had been was not a clean environment so it needed warm soapy water, a rinse, and a dry 

And vegemite was the Australian answer to Marmite and rumour has it that they considered once calling it "Pa Will" since "Ma Might" (everyone groans at that pun)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

And as for the Men At Work's Down Under song ... it is a classic, particularly since it is associated in Australian's minds with the first defeat of the America's Cup: 

""Down Under" received renewed attention when it was used as the unofficial anthem for Australia's successful challenge for the 1983 America’s Cup."

I guess I should be carefully at quoting any lyrics here ... so: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/16522/ ...

I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"

He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich 

• 06-13-2009 5:26 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

In all the discussions/concerns about the BV7-40 MkIV I deferred my order and bought an ex-demo BV8-32 which was installed on Friday.

The install was achieved by youngest son as I am overseas.  So after many emails, and a few long 'phone conversations we settled on a plan.  My son, Tom, and Sue went out and acquired the necessary extra cables to achieve the following:

BV8 wiring diagram

Sue emptied out a cupboard, and even did some carpentry, so we could hide all the cabling and bits & pieces:

Hiding the rats' nest

And then together with the B&O service man they connected everything and powered it all up - voila:

The proof is in the tasting

So far they have enjoyed watching TV ("Silent Witness" above), PS3 DVD, PS3 pulling a video file across the wireless network (crashed the  network at one point), music from the BeoSound 4 in the other room (CD, FM, and SD card), and music from the BeoPlayer (in the old compaq laptop).

The great thing about this, apart from it working so smoothly after many hours of planning and preparation, is that Tom has gained a deep insight and appreciation of the technical aspects of B&O.

And a final word of thanks to Tony for coming up with the deal and being so flexible, for Kim for being equally patient and entertaining, and for Gavin who did not realise how we would be pushing the B&O limits on this one.

I know these things are entirely subjective, but as regards the set-up my only reaction is 'oh dear'!

The beautifully designed tv looks like it has been removed from its packing and dumped on to the nearest convenient resting place. 

A 'silver' tv with black speakers, all wiring clumsily visible.

Books & DVDs stacking shelves behind and completely detracting from the beautiful lines of the tv.

More equipment inside the cupboard looking again like it's just found a home out of necessity rather than any overall design or thought process.

Instead of a wiring diagram, I would have thought some time spent studying aesthetics might be more advisable

I could go on, but what a shame!

Sorry if this sound cruel, but it's what I think and I don't wish to be offensive.

[:'(]

• 06-13-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

kokomo:
    A 'silver' tv with black speakers, all wiring clumsily visible.

"I agree the BL3s should be recast in white - so much nicer and shiny - suitable for a BeoJackdaw or is it BeoMagpie ? oh definetly a magpie :)"

I guess then your main issue is the books/dvds etc.... but as you said it is very subjective.

I know when we got our BV 8 32 we chose it because it fit in the space with plenty of wall behind it... The BV8 40 would have been too tall for the space and would have had window ledge behind it. (but that is because we're also quite anal people) 

If it was convenient elephant might remove the shelf behind the TV that distracts from the lines. However... it's not like they are blocking the view or the functionality of the TV... and then there might be the issue of space !

As he mentioned he isn't even home yet so hasn't had a chance to play around with how he would like it !

• 06-13-2009 9:50 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

If it was convenient elephant might remove the shelf behind the TV that distracts from the lines. However... it's not like they are blocking the view or the functionality of the TV... and then there might be the issue of space !

As he mentioned he isn't even home yet so hasn't had a chance to play around with how he would like it !

Personally (and I emphasise personally) I would never for example mount a framed painting on the wall behind and above a television. It wouldn't be blocking the view but just wouldn't be right!

As for your secong point, presumably he approves in principle or the photos wouldn't have been posted.

Anyway, I'm not saying my views are correct, far from it, as I said in my original comment, these things are wholly subjective. We'd all be living in the same surroundings otherwise.

Finally, I'm envious of the new TV! Stick out tongue

• 06-13-2009 11:23 AM In reply to

kokomo:

Personally (and I emphasise personally) I would never for example mount a framed painting on the wall behind and above a television. It wouldn't be blocking the view but just wouldn't be right!

As for your secong point, presumably he approves in principle or the photos wouldn't have been posted.

Anyway, I'm not saying my views are correct, far from it, as I said in my original comment, these things are wholly subjective. We'd all be living in the same surroundings otherwise.

Finally, I'm envious of the new TV! Stick out tongue

No offense taken :)

Unfortunately the shelf mentioned provides structural integrity and can't be removed !

The original plan was for a BV7-40 and the cupboard/bookcases would have been removed and the BV7 nestled between then other bookcases and framed by some new DVD shelves - my design concept being that the BV7 in operation would look like a painting.  I may even have framed it further with a few pieces of art.

(shameless plug from a proud dad: I bought 10 pieces of http://jagiart.com/ and one or two might provide a nice juxtaposition ... again a question of subjective taste)

• 06-13-2009 12:03 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Elephant's installation provides a good example of what many must face: installed casework that, for optimum viewing, must be significantly altered. The proper view panel height (as can be confirmed with an internet search) is at eye level from the viewing position. This position is typically "sitting in a chair" and the view panel height should therefore be between about 20-22" from the floor. Here is a BV8:BL3 set-up in bespoke casework that acheives a proper screen height:

This system was designed from the ground up.... perhaps atypical (ear-level placement of the BL3s was also acheived). But the ergonomics of viewing cannot be denied although many will continue to look upwards and experience strain and discomfort.I continue to be agast at installations of panels above fireplaces, as is quite common in the US.

I will suggest, based on numerous experiences, that Elephant's casework can be easily modified to accomodate a proper viewing height for a cost that should be palatable. As far as the "jumble" in the cabinet below.... so be it as B&O do not have a fully integrated offereing at the moment. In the example above, behind the cabinet doors below the BV8 is a "jumble" of a Tivo, an AppleTV, a cable modem, an airport express, and about 50m of cabling. Very unsightly, and a good use for cabinet doors: hide it!

In reference to the post about the "visual noise" of the surrounding bookcase, I agree that B&O is most strightforwardly placed in a minimalist setting, but it also is well suited to more traditional environments where other, non-contemporary, objects and books are also on display. My design sense appreciates the contrast in styles, particularly if the setting is truly "old".

So, Elephant I think that you should have a few cabinetmakers around to give you estimates. You may be pleasantly surprized.

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 06-13-2009 2:12 PM In reply to

Affineur:

This position is typically "sitting in a chair" and the view panel height should therefore be between about 20-22" from the floor. Here is a BV8:BL3 set-up in bespoke casework that acheives a proper screen height

<snip>

So, Elephant I think that you should have a few cabinetmakers around to give you estimates. You may be pleasantly surprized.

Thank you !

I must measure the heights when I get home - I suspect the screen will be at almost the correct level - and I shall look at lifting the BL3s so that they are at ear level, or perhaps simply given them a little tilt. 

As regards replacing the Ikea with purpose built cabinets, I would love to !  Our house is 135 years old, and is an example of Victorians trying to be posh: the front two rooms are built of brick to present the best face to the world, the back rooms - hidden from the street - are all built of wood, and about 20 years ago we had them renovated.  So yes what people see in my picture is tired and is cluttered.  It is our intention to remodel the rear of the house one more time, and when we do that we certainly aim to have something as well designed as the environment in your photograph. 

Ed~2

• 06-14-2009 12:34 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

Our house is 135 years old, and is an example of Victorians trying to be posh: the front two rooms are built of brick to present the best face to the world, the back rooms - hidden from the street - are all built of wood, and about 20 years ago we had them renovated.

That's incredible, when you remember, our country is only approximately 200 years old!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-14-2009 4:49 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

Dave:
    That's incredible, when you remember, our country is only approximately 200 years old!

Well... to be technical... Australia is a lot older and before it was 'our' country it was someone elses....

Where are you elephant, Melbourne?

My auntie and uncle have on old terrace house there...

• 06-14-2009 5:32 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

I have a similar plan downstairs - how do the BL3´s blend with the BV8´s speaker?

Roger

• 06-14-2009 2:41 PM In reply to

• Affineur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-27-2008
    • United States
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Roger,

Perhaps my ears are getting old but I cannot distingush a sonic difference between the BV8:BL3 set-up and my other system consisting of BC2:BL9 when listening to music (the BV8:BL3 system is in "pmute" and the BV8 speakers are inactive), with the obvious exception of the base response. In video mode all speakers are active and I have found the BV8:BL3 audio to be very accurate and excellent for voice (conversation). Many systems "muddy up" the voice track and make it difficult for old people like me to understand what is being spoken. Not so for this system.

I look forward to the "new" B&O vibrationless subwoofer as an addition to the BV8:BL3 system. Bass response is the only deficiency.

Here is another pic with the cabinet closed:

Seek simplicity and distrust it. Alfred North Whitehead
  • 06-15-2009 12:27 AM In reply to

Luke :
    Where are you elephant, Melbourne?

Yes, home and the family are in Melbourne.

Me, well I am "On the road again" ... more later in another post :)

On the road again
    Just can't wait to get on the road again
    The life I love is makin' music with my friends
    And I can't wait to get on the road again
    On the road again
    Goin' places that I've never been
    Seein' things that I may never see again,

Posted in London while listening to "Consolation No3 by Franz Liszt being broadcast on Classic FM and being played through a BeoCentre 6

• 06-15-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

On the road again
    Just can't wait to get on the road again
    The life I love is makin' music with my friends
    On the road again
    Goin' places that I've never been
    Seein' things that I may never see again,

Is this lyric trying to say something about being on the road?

Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)