in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-11-2009 5:35 AM by timhanna. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2009 5:02 PM

BL9 instead of using a guitar amp?

I have placed an order not too long ago for a pair of BL9s thanks to everyone's advise! All of a sudden, I want to buy a bass guitar after having no expirience with any guitars etc! The closest that I've come to playing my own music is DJing... Haha. My question is: do I need a bass amp or can I just connect the guitar via whatever to the ouverture using a.aux and the BL9s, yet getting good/accurate sound from them? I guess that this question can be applied to all and any full range speakers; do these speakers sound good? Or will they sound "too good" and "too clean"? Thanks
  • 06-10-2009 7:25 PM In reply to

Re: BL9 instead of using a guitar amp?

The BL9s would certainly be able to handle the bass, but the issue lies in connecting it.

Guitars, use a much lower line leval than say an ipod or a cd player, so they have to go through a pre amp first.

A bass/guitar amp overcomes this need for a preamp, because they were designed to handle this type of signal natively. 

If you ever watch a video of guitarist such as Carlos Santana, he will always have a relatively small amplifier beside him, and this is then Mic'd and sent through the auditoriums sound system. This is because most of the characteristics of the sound are delivered by the amp, especially if it is a tube.

• 06-10-2009 11:37 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I agree that you'll need something to bring the Bass guitar up to line-level...but it's a low hurdle to get over.  Any guitar/music/pro-sound shop will be able to help...and for that matter just about any computer store/Apple store will have what you need.  Should be no real trouble.

4-, 5-, or 6-string?

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 06-11-2009 12:18 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

wow that'll be great! If i was a guitar musician i'd opt for this route at home also (adding the pre-amp).

Let us know how you go with this! Big Smile

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-11-2009 12:51 AM In reply to

Have a look at the Konnekt 8 or Konnekt 24 from t.c. electronics. I have a 24, gives you line-in for mic-level, with adjustment, and a number of output options.

• 06-11-2009 3:13 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Better still, you can get amp modellers which will take your bass signal and then process it to model any number of amp heads and bass cabinets (from all the major manufacturers) plus typical bass effects pedals etc. The output from this can be passed to your computer for recording or to your speakers.

Real bass amps tend to have a character and are not linear - you may find a bass amplified through a hifi system may sound a little characterless.

Example - of course you can pay as much as you like, they'll just get better and better!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-11-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

Thanks everyone!

Regarding which type of bass guitar (4-, 5-, or 6-string?) I have no idea! haha.

I'll go an visit a local guitar shop and ask what they think. It would be nice to hear the difference between the BL9 and a bass guitar :)

Does anyone else use their hifi for any musical instruments?

• 06-11-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

timhanna:
    I have placed an order not too long ago for a pair of BL9s thanks to everyone's advise! All of a sudden, I want to buy a bass guitar after having no expirience with any guitars etc! The closest that I've come to playing my own music is DJing... Haha. My question is: do I need a bass amp or can I just connect the guitar via whatever to the ouverture using a.aux and the BL9s, yet getting good/accurate sound from them? I guess that this question can be applied to all and any full range speakers; do these speakers sound good? Or will they sound "too good" and "too clean"? Thanks

Very risky, especially for a bass guitar! Yes I know the speakers when playing recorded music may be handling the sounds of a bass guitar, but a 'real' instrument connected directly is a different thing.

Why risk it anyway? Buy a bass practice amp' and there is no danger of damaging the B&O setup. Also, it's portable so you can play the guitar anywhere there is power.

Paradise

• 06-11-2009 5:35 AM In reply to

hummm, good point...

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)