in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-10-2009 3:04 PM by beocool. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2009 3:35 AM

This bothers me a lot!

If I go to the Porsche site, and search for the 1964 Porsche 911, then I get a nice info page with a photo of the car, the technical spec's, and some history. I like that - it points to a brand that's proud of its heritage.

If I go to the official B&O site, and search for any of their classic products, I get nada, nothing, zilch, zero, niente. That bothers me - a brand is its history. (And no, I won't go through the tooth pulling exercise of BeoLounge to find a few spurious references to classic products.)
    Newcomers to the B&O brand could easily think they got into business yesterday.

When I made this ad for Bang & Olufsen, it was with a desire to point out the immense value of the brand's heritage. This heritage should be up front for people to see and enjoy, and appreciate.
    http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beocenter6/more-than-a-radio

Curiously, the only classic products I can find now through the official site search function, are the ones we photographed and I wrote about in that ad. (And to really get the grouch out of me today: why isn't there a mention of the Collecting Bang & Olufsen book on the official site?)

• 06-10-2009 3:57 AM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

Re: This bothers me a lot!

That's why there is Beo world. The site where you can find your classics.

Meby there for the relation with the official B&O site and Beo World is a good mix

greetings eric

• 06-10-2009 4:02 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Sometimes I feel that B&O is trying to decrease the interest in past products as it seems people tend to hang on to the B&O they have. Some of the older products are extremely good and for some people that is enough for them.

Durban South Africa

• 06-10-2009 4:03 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

..............and why I believe B&O would be happy to be affiliated with Beoworld, there is probably more knowledge and experience here of their back catalogue than is left in Struer.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-10-2009 4:11 AM In reply to

BenSA:

Sometimes I feel that B&O is trying to decrease the interest in past products as it seems people tend to hang on to the B&O they have. Some of the older products are extremely good and for some people that is enough for them.

Just like people tend to hang on to their classic Porsches, eh? Big Smile

If you manufacture for the rubbish dump, you don't care. If you manufacture for "eternity," you put a lot of effort into maintaining the cachet of your previous efforts. I agree that the official B&O site could use BeoWorld as a reference point for classical products, but you'd still need to feature these on the official site.
    Have a look at Purdey's Gun Catalogue (pdf): http://purdey.com/store/process/download-gun-catalogue/

IWC has a link to its museum on the front page: https://www.iwc.com/museum/index-en.asp

And here's Rolex, with its history on the front page:

• 06-10-2009 4:24 AM In reply to

The Beolounge has a section about historical products.
  • 06-10-2009 4:26 AM In reply to

B&O could do much more concerning their heritage products as highlighted here. One approach would be for Lee to ask for a reciprocal link from B&O to Beoworld as part of any deal on allowing B&O to advertise on this site.

Also, B&O should make or recommend suitable adapters for allowing old products e.g. turntables, to connect to moderm receivers/amps.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-10-2009 4:33 AM In reply to

vikinguk:

B&O could do much more concerning their heritage products as highlighted here. One approach would be for Lee to ask for a reciprocal link from B&O to Beoworld as part of any deal on allowing B&O to advertise on this site.

Also, B&O should make or recommend suitable adapters for allowing old products e.g. turntables, to connect to moderm receivers/amps.

Graham

Agreed. My Beogram 4000/Beolab 5000 have sold a lot of new B&O to friends of mine ... One saw my Beosystem 6500 and thought it was "something new from B&O" Big Smile

As to BeoLounge - yes, it has a historical section, but getting to it is as anti-sticky as you can get on the web. The point being that if I search for classic products on a lot of other brands with premium cachet, I am immediately directed to these products.

Look at this 2009 remake of an 1896 classic from Hardy - with a few invisible improvements:

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/products/reels/heritage-reels/perfect-reels/

• 06-10-2009 5:11 AM In reply to

To be fair, there is this: http://www.bang-olufsen.com/history

Without the music, it's tolerable. With, it's torture. Big Smile

But it's quite impenetrable to newbies - I think there's much to be gained from making it more readily available, with links to the new museum, the B&O books, BeoWorld, product images and stories ... and preferably with some good acoustic music, instead of that computer/synthesizer generated dross.

It's kind of mystifying that nothing shows up when I search for turntables or Beograms (!!!) - put the classic products in search.

• 06-10-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 85
    • Founder

Hi,

How about this ?  At least it gives old specs....

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/product-archive

Thomas

7-40 Mk3, Beo5/Beo4, Avant32DVD, BS3K, PentaIII, BL4K, BL Active w/BL2500, Avant28CTV,Beoport, AppleTV, 2xBC6K

• 06-10-2009 9:04 AM In reply to

Good find! And a step up from total bleakness.

Still bothered by the products not being found in search -- but one quick fix would be to have such searches refer to the product archive, instead of there being nothing.

Though compared to what other brands do for their classics, this is still poor.

• 06-10-2009 10:31 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

After the BeoLounge some of the links were removed from the B&O site, but the product-archive, and some other pages too, are still there and work if you have the direct link.

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 06-10-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

soundproof:

Good find! And a step up from total bleakness.

Still bothered by the products not being found in search -- but one quick fix would be to have such searches refer to the product archive, instead of there being nothing.

Though compared to what other brands do for their classics, this is still poor.

I can see what you mean, Soundproof and I am in complete agreement here. B&O has a history it can be proud of!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)