in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-20-2010 11:18 AM by Lol. 58 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2009 9:14 AM

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

New BV8 40 - first impressions at home

Our new BV8 40 was installed on Saturday. The wife and I spent the whole weekend watching our favorite films and TV - we're very, very impressed indeed. The in-built freeview software really adds to the whole experience - we love the graphics and overall user experience. The TV is hooked up to Beolab 6000s and a PS3.

Having read the forum here about 'soap opera effects' and so on BEFORE the tv was installed, I was getting a bit nervous. However I'm pleased to say the picture is excellent. We're going to spend a couple of weeks at least adjusting to the massive picture, as until now we've had just a Beovision 6 22!! Once we're used  to the new size I may look into disabling the 34fs mode in the PS3 & movie mode and so on, but in the meantime will read about other Beoworld users comments & tips. It is true that there are moments where the picture cannot cope with big movement scenes, but some of this could be down to the PS3 (or me being unused to the huge size of the screen!)...

The next step will be a sub, but I'm going to hold out for this new one that has been talked about...

Cheers,

Tom

Filed under:
  • 06-08-2009 9:40 AM In reply to

Re: New BV8 40 - first impressions at home

Sorry, for my English, but... If you have problems with soap opera effect or like that you can try in "service menu BV8-40 the filmmode into "out". For me gives it a better picture. The picture is more naturally. Service menu. Two time at Menu. Adjustments en then red and go.

I come from Holland en for me gives it a better picture.  Gives me feedback, please.

• 06-08-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

Tom.  Congrats on you New Bv8-40!...I did see one in a dealers a while back and I have to say I was impressed with the picture I was seeing at the time.

Enjoy and keep the feedback coming.

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 06-08-2009 1:09 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

@ Zwaan

I have experienced the same: After switching off the 'filmmode' the picture of my BV8-40 was certainly better and also more natural if you like.

• 06-08-2009 3:29 PM In reply to

• mason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-08-2008
    • Posts 53
    • Bronze Member

I saw the BV8 40 last week at B&O in Islington – I thought the picture was stunning.

• 06-08-2009 4:14 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

I also agree that the BV8-40 has a great picture. Good value for the price, too (well, for B&O..).

• 06-09-2009 7:20 AM In reply to

Is the "movie mode" option also available in the BV 32"? 

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 06-09-2009 8:14 AM In reply to

What's means stunning. Do you have another word??? (i'm dutsch)

• 06-09-2009 8:17 AM In reply to

I don't know. Try this: dubble click on menu. Go to adjustments and then red and then go.

succes

• 06-09-2009 8:28 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Stunning

–adjective
    1. causing, capable of causing, or liable to cause astonishment, bewilderment, or a loss of consciousness or strength: a stunning blow.
    2. of striking beauty or excellence: What a stunning dress you're wearing!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 06-09-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

I got mine last week to replace a very good Avant (except that letterbox films were too small from our normal seating position). Haven't large LCDs come on well in the last year? Of course I can't get to watch anything now as the children have the PS3 permantly connected so that they can experience the horrors of war without leaving the comfort of a cosy house and all they can eat and drink.

• 06-09-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

• beowhit
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brompton, Kent
    • Posts 26
    • Founder

I'm due to collect the wall mounting bracket tomorrow, the BV-40 is due in Friday - can't wait!

• 06-09-2009 5:41 PM In reply to

Stevethegreatgolfer:

... so that they can experience the horrors of war without leaving the comfort of a cosy house and all they can eat and drink.

LOL 

What a picturesque and familiar description :-)

Thanks!

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 06-09-2009 5:44 PM In reply to

beowhit:

I'm due to collect the wall mounting bracket tomorrow, the BV-40 is due in Friday - can't wait!

I am in total agony on whether I should switch my BV 7-40 MKII for a MKIII or go for BV 8-40. Please let us know what you think and how you rate it compared to for instance BV 7.

Thanks!

BV 7-55, BL 7-4, BL 9's, BL 4's, BL 3's, BC 2300, Beo5, Beo4

• 06-09-2009 5:52 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

From my experience (I've owned BV7-40 MKIII for 1.5 years and have seen the BV8-40 on display), the BV8-40 is a little better than the MKIII for HD. However, the MKIII gives a slightly better all-round image, if you watch a lot of standard definition TV.

The key thing for the BV7 is the movable stand. The 7.4+BL9 combo will be far superior to the BV8-40 speaker. You also get 4 x HDMI sockets, rather than the two on the BV8.

You get the 100Hz screen on the BV8, but from watching TV on my 100Hz-based MKIV, this only really applies to fast moving TV, such as watching sport.

• 06-09-2009 6:13 PM In reply to

Dave:

Stunning

–adjective
    1. causing, capable of causing, or liable to cause astonishment, bewilderment, or a loss of consciousness or strength: a stunning blow.
    2. of striking beauty or excellence: What a stunning dress you're wearing!

This might be slight more useful:

English: Stunning - Dutch: Verdoving

Simon.

• 06-09-2009 6:23 PM In reply to

I have recently been agonising over the same for a holiday home, and went with the discounted BV7-40 mk 111 (delivered this last w/e); very happy with it of course, but still have nagging doubt that the BV8-40 was the better buy!

As Moxxey has pointed out, BV7 has additional features if you require them...

• 06-10-2009 5:25 AM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Well thanks to the Tube drivers striking today, I'm 'working' from home - plenty of time to spend with the new BV8!!

It'd be great if other bv8 40 owners shared their experiences here too (I meant to write that in the first post, but forgot in my excitement).

Zwaan, I'll let you know how i get on with film mode changes later & to Stevethegreatgolfer - if you manage to get a chance to bag some viewing time of your own, would love to know your thoughts...

Beowhit - look forward to hearing your thoughts too. & Takktakk, I'd recommend the BV8 40!

I must say that when you shell out so much cash on a tv it is very reassuring to hear from you all! Thanks!

Tom

BTW, the TV does swivel (by hand) which is useful as the PS3 is behind the TV so makes access really easy - may be worth bearing in mind - will upload a picture when i find my camera...

• 06-19-2009 9:08 PM In reply to

I have also ordered a BV8-40 to be used as a bedroom tv.  arriving mid July, can't wait.

one question though, as BV8 doesn't have a BS3 included in the TV, has anyone use the upscale function in PS3 with BV8 when watching DVD? 

• 06-20-2009 1:40 AM In reply to

• Bieele
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 339
    • Bronze Member

aweicc:

one question though, as BV8 doesn't have a BS3 included in the TV, has anyone use the upscale function in PS3 with BV8 when watching DVD? 

Good question, I am considering the purchase of a blue-ray player and one of the options is the PS3. But I want to make sure this also improves he picture quality of my DVD's.

My experiences of the BV8-40:

I am very impressed by the picture quality. I used to have an Avant 28", I got used on the big 40" screen within days. On analog signal the picture is ok, on digital cable the picture quality is impressive. Best that I have seen from a lcd-tv.

I have my DVD player connected by component, the picture quality is good, but I am considering a blue-ray player (with upscaling for DVD's) to get an even better picture.

Typical lcd problems like ghosting/panning can sometimes be seen, but only very minor.

Sound quality from the tv speaker is good, I use it in a setup of BL1/BL2/BL4000 and the match is good. Yet setting the sound levels of the speakers is  a bit tricky; using the sound setting screen for speaker volume I thought I had to set all speakers loud compared to the center speaker (based on the level of the test sound), this however proved to be incorrect. Using a DVD with THX setup I got much better results.

Another thing that works very nice in my setup: I have a room with a lot of windows on one side. Even thought the lcd screen is glossy this gives no problems since the screen is a bit tilted, the reflection I get are therefor from the ceiling and not from incoming light.

To summarize, I am very happy with the purchase of the BV8-40!

Bieele

Heej zuij der alles veur gaeve En heej zaet ze mogen ut hebbe van meej
  • 06-20-2009 5:05 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Although the BV8 doesn't have a BS3 it still has to upscale an SD or DVD signal in order to display it on the HD panel. Therefore the question becomes "is the PS3 (or other players) upscaler better than the BV8-40's internal one"?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 07-01-2009 12:37 PM In reply to

• beowhit
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brompton, Kent
    • Posts 26
    • Founder

I have just had my BV8-40 installed and...WOW! I will admit to being a bit nervous as the picture on my BV3-32 is excellent and I saw the BV8 at the dealer running HD and blu-ray so I wondered how it would compare running through and ordinary aerial. No need to worry as the picture is superb - really clear and crisp with no problems watching Wimbledon, it just looks fantastic alongside my BS9000. I think this TV could really help B&O's situation as it's relatively good value and a superd product.

Now back to my silly grin!

Mark

• 07-01-2009 5:43 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

The PS3 is simply the best integrated upscaler available yet. You may find better upscalers, but that's not sure, and it would only be dedicated upscalers, so you would get only marginally better upscale for a totally different price.

The huge computing power of the cell processor may be one of the things that makes a PS3 so good in upscale. B&O TV upscaler doesn't reach this quality, unfortunately for TV...

One thing to consider is that a new, slim, version of the PS3 will be released soon (rumors speaks of august/september release). The design is better, but rumors speak of a lower quality Blu Ray mechanism (normally not concerning image quality but mechanical quality, read broken more frequently...)

The last thing to take into account is that the PS3 is also a very good... Gaming console (and correct DLNA server in order to remotely read movies, music and pictures from a network drive) Wink
    We bought a PS3 mainly for movies, believing that this complex game controller (read : not as simple as a wii) would forbid us to play well, but I must admit that those past months, I may have played more with Little Big Planet and Motorstorm Pacific Rift than playing moviesWhistle

• 07-06-2009 12:21 PM In reply to

the new Bv-40 's picture and sound quality is really excellent. couple that with an output from the ps 3 for , all i can say is wow....

tested audiophile music cds and blu ray movies (the dark knight, quantum of solace) in this combination. output is awesome.

no regrets whatsoever.

• 07-07-2009 7:40 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Interesting remarks.

As a potential buyer of the BV7, could it be possible that the BV8 beats it at less than a half of its price? I'm only hearing good things about the BV8 and split comments on the BV7 MkIV. Could it be that expectations on the BV7 were set too high as opposed to the BV8, where it's turning out to be a nice suprise given its relatively low cost for BnO standards?

Gustavo

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >