in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-09-2009 4:00 PM by Craig. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2009 3:21 PM

Beoplayer - terrible

this is the first time ever i have installed and used beoplayer and i am not impressed. what do other users think?

1. the player is dropped across 2 sides of the screen with the controls on the right and the display on the left - why...? what a nuisance...

2. it fails to update covers and album metdata by itself

3. when you press update album cover and info it still doesn't retrieve the album info as indicated in the infoguide

4. it starts playing  CD or n.music album automatically without being asked which interferes with the laser which is simultaneously playing the track and trying to read the next track for ripping.

5. when cover art work is there some tracks have the cover assigned whilst others have big black gaps that can't be filled with cover art.

6. when you scan the C drive it can't locate the music stored under windows media player that it's supposed to coupled to.

6. i'm sure there are others but that's what i've found so far....

in preparation for a beosound 5 install in couple weeks i am ripping onto Windows media player which is delight like itunes - both reliable and efficient.

• 06-06-2009 4:36 PM In reply to

Re: Beoplayer - terrible

I installed it once, soon deleted it - rubbish. Found it much better to use a Winamp skin with large buttons with a touchscreen monitor

Maybe it works better with the BEO4 remote and the Beoport - never cared to find out.

• 06-06-2009 6:14 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Quite true,  it does work better with Beoport, and the Beo 4.  Using the program is one a many options with a PC.  Media Player, Media Centre, etc., and there are the optional PC & Apple remotes for these programs too.

A comment in Struer a few years ago mentioned the fact that the inception of this program involved some coordination with Microsoft, especially with Media Player.

Has it been updated since it's inception ?  Yes.  Could it be improved upon ?  Always.

• 06-06-2009 7:35 PM In reply to

Truly the very worst thing we've ever done. I don't think any single product has given me as much frustration as this total piece of garbage.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-06-2009 9:00 PM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

I only use beoplayer to send audio to my speakers via beoport in my study and use winamp to play my music for the reasons stated by others here.

• 06-07-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I guess I'm weird...  I always kind of like it.  Granted, I haven't used it regularly for a few years - switched to mac - so there was not cover art back then.  I guess I like it because it is doesn't give me a "computer program" feel.  Very minimalist.  I guess that cuts both ways.

BTW, I messed around with both Windows Media Player and BeoPlayer the other day...  thinking about buying a BS5 and what it will take to create some lossless Windows files from some AIFFs recorded from LPs. I hated WMP wereas BeoPlayer seemed like an old friend.

Still haven't figured out how to do this (AIFF -> WMA lossless)... so if anybody has any recommendations....

Stan

• 06-07-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

I'm surprised, because I use BeoPort everyday, and can't live without it, in fact I installed it on all the PCs I know, I find Windows Media Player full of nothing , and deleted Itunes after the first installation..For me they do too many things already!

Of course, things are still to be improved, the free BeoPlayer version has so few radio stations, in NMUSIC the CD covers are sometimes a mess, but that's since CDDB was given up for another system, and there's still no level meter to adjust the dynamics to the same level on all tracks ;when in CD mode, the right display still doesn't show "CD1" or "CD4", like all BeoSounds, and NRADIO, which I use almost 24/7, has too many low quality stations, and -of course- not enough high quality stations (although my playlists kept around 120 stations out of the 3,000+), when a station is not available or the program is finished, it should skip to the next available station, like when a CD track is scratched, and it still doesn't show the info about which track is playing, something that all radio players do..!

But despite all this, I wouldn't shift to another media player, I find them so ugly!

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 06-07-2009 7:10 PM In reply to

Beoplayer,  is garbage...

iTunes is the way to go!

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-07-2009 7:14 PM In reply to

i have had trouble getting the scan function in beoplayer to pick the music files off windows media player which it is coupled to.

to prepare for the beosound 5 in a couple of weeks i am ripping my CDs to windows media player. will beoplayer be able to scan all of these files and send them to the beomedia 5 unit?

or should i just rip in the horrible beoplayer which keeps messing up my cover art etc..?

Sad

• 06-07-2009 8:32 PM In reply to

Went to B&O's website to download the program just to satisfy my curiosity.

Lo and behold it doesnt work the Mac OS. Only Windows !

How funny.

• 06-07-2009 11:54 PM In reply to

I'll grant that in some sense it's beautiful to look at, but it's just unusable. I do like the form factor (that it's more a widget than a program), but the likelihood of it being advanced to the point that we'd be satisfied with it as a true alternative to WMP or iTunes. 

It's like the Serene. It's beautiful and unique enough to make me pop the sim card out of my iPhone every now and again and give it another shot, but less than 24 hours later it's back on the cradle to slumber for another season. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-08-2009 7:59 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

Truly the very worst thing we've ever done. I don't think any single product has given me as much frustration as this total piece of garbage.

Totally agree. Have installed this software 100s of times  nearly 50% of the time it suffers with conflicts with other software and crashes. This is a real shame as it makes transfering music the the BeoSound5(which I am growing to love more day by day) so painful!

If you have a BeoPort then it maybe worth the effort. Otherwise forget it!

Just as an aside, has anybody managed to connect to a BeoMaster5/BeoMedia without using this software? As my preferred method of copying music to these devices is via a mapped drive(once connected using beoplayer), similar to the BeoConnect with the MAC.

• 06-08-2009 8:47 AM In reply to

do you think it's ok to continue ripping music with wind.media or should i be using beoplayer in preparation for the Bs5?

• 06-09-2009 4:00 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Been using Beoplayer for around 5 or 6 years now, and I always thought it was far better than Windows Media Player IMO. For a while I did have Beoport, but I always found it too much of a pain trying to navigate without seeing the screen. Always ended up using the PC anyway. So in the end I sold it. When I get round to it though I will be building a touchscreen system housed inside an MX2000 and an old Beosat. With at least 1TB of storage. Software will be neither WMP or Beoport.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)