in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-05-2009 8:03 AM by Michael. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-04-2009 9:45 AM

Bang&Olufsen & OLED technology

Do U thing B&o will folow the OLED technology and build this screens in their TVs soon?

• 06-04-2009 10:15 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Re: Bang&Olufsen & OLED technology

No. They will produce OLED TVs, but not until the technology becomes useful in any way. At present, OLED is completely useless for TVs.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-04-2009 10:18 AM In reply to

Soon? No.

I believe we will have to wait for any manufacturer to build a practical OLED tv first...

-mika

• 06-04-2009 10:40 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-04-2009 10:56 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f stated that OLED should replace LED next year (2010). Perhaps. However, we know that B&O traditional seem to use tried-and-tested technology. B&O have a reputation of producing products that both last and are supported. There's NO way that this means that B&O will be one of the early adopters of the new technology. I can't see an OLED B&O TV for at least two years.

That new Sony OLED TV is....11 inches. A prototype 21" TV has been shown and a 27" is promised. However, 32" and the more important 40" are probably way off, even from Sony.

Also, who's guessing the price for this OLED 11" Sony TV? I bet that won't be cheap.

• 06-04-2009 11:01 AM In reply to

While problems still exist with OLED technology, I don't think that Bang & Olufsen will be sitting on the sidelines for nearly as long as they would have in the past. If recent events (especially the firing of IdeaLand staff) are any indication, B&O is fast moving toward being less precious and more practical.

Quite aside from the practical benefits, there's a major design advantage in a screen that can turn off pixel by pixel. 

One of the hardest things for "most people" in this decade long transition period is that the shape of the image doesn't usually match the shape of the screen. Movies are letter-boxed and some tv programs still show up as squares (or are stretched). With a screen that doesn't have to light up unused portions, the aspect ratio problem would be greatly reduced and images would appear to fit a fluid viewable area.

There would also be a benefit in tasks that are normally a little too heavy for a full screen experience. This continues to be one of my (many) gripes about Apple TV. Do I really need to flip on a 65" screen to browse music? (Doesn't actually bother me, but a designer's eye certainly questions this necessity). An OLED screen would allow only a portion to come alive to allow users to browse music.

The list goes on and on and I'm sure that if we succeed in this Pole Position strategy we'll see things like this sooner than we're used to. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-04-2009 11:07 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

While problems still exist with OLED technology, I don't think that Bang & Olufsen will be sitting on the sidelines for nearly as long..

Trip, at the moment B&O can't even get their sw right. I've had my dealer around this afternoon and we both believe the new sw in the Sky box is causing problems with my new BV7-40 MKIV. If so, this is yet another Sky-related problem with the BV7-40.

Let's be practical here. Some of the biggest TV manufacturers in the world - with huge economis of scale - have yet to embrace OLED and, the few that have (Sony) can only release a 11" TV. The liklihood of a 32/40" in the next two years, is slim, never mind a B&O OLED TV.

The original question asked whether there would be a OLED-based B&O TV 'soon'. I don't thinkw we'll see a 32/40" TV 'soon' from Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony. Perhaps end of 2010 or early 2011?

• 06-04-2009 11:50 AM In reply to

moxxey:

TripEnglish:

While problems still exist with OLED technology, I don't think that Bang & Olufsen will be sitting on the sidelines for nearly as long..

Trip, at the moment B&O can't even get their sw right. I've had my dealer around this afternoon and we both believe the new sw in the Sky box is causing problems with my new BV7-40 MKIV. If so, this is yet another Sky-related problem with the BV7-40.

I don't think this Sky problem is limited to BV7 40, i was speaking to a friend who had a new Sky HD installation last week and the engineer went through 4 boxes before he got one to work and the final box only worked (he thinks) because it did not have the latest menu system.  The others displayed issues with HDCP errors, and menu options but no satellite signal as well as shutting down and locking out IR commands and this was on a BV4 with Bsys3 I know it's the same chassis but the point was it worked perfectly with a different Sky HD box.  A guy from Sky said they've had alot of box failures since the new software update.

• 06-04-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

You're right. I didn't mean to indicate that we'll see one soon, only that we will see them along the same timeline as our OEM manufacturers roll them out. I.e. if Samsung rolls out a 32" in 2011, we won't wait until 2015 to implement it. Of course that's talk at this point, but I've seen enough concrete developments in our underlying tech to indicate that this will be a reality. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 06-04-2009 1:13 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

meandmyshadow:

I don't think this Sky problem is limited to BV7 40..

Perhaps. But the same Sky box, with the MKIII, with updated EPG, worked fine. The only difference in my setup, is the new MKIV.

• 06-04-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

http://gizmodo.com/5070933/samsung-shows-off-giant-40+inch-oled-hdtv

I do agree that B&O seems to be less precious and more practical. Think the HDMI connection for the internal blueray player in the BV7 MKiV.

Why I consider this re-batching, I also believe that his is one way to go for them ......

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-04-2009 3:46 PM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

moxxey:

355f stated that OLED should replace LED next year (2010). Perhaps. However, we know that B&O traditional seem to use tried-and-tested technology. B&O have a reputation of producing products that both last and are supported. There's NO way that this means that B&O will be one of the early adopters of the new technology. I can't see an OLED B&O TV for at least two years.

That new Sony OLED TV is....11 inches. A prototype 21" TV has been shown and a 27" is promised. However, 32" and the more important 40" are probably way off, even from Sony.

Also, who's guessing the price for this OLED 11" Sony TV? I bet that won't be cheap.

At least two years? B&O? Surely you've missed a zero? More like 20!!

• 06-04-2009 4:06 PM In reply to

They have learned from there mistakes...........I may hope soErm

• 06-04-2009 5:04 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

This continues to be one of my (many) gripes about Apple TV. Do I really need to flip on a 65" screen to browse music? (Doesn't actually bother me, but a designer's eye certainly questions this necessity). An OLED screen would allow only a portion to come alive to allow users to browse music.

Some of us prefer using an iPod Touch or iPhone to control the Apple TV, without having to switch on the television... Big Smile

• 06-04-2009 6:40 PM In reply to

Some of us expect a very nice 2 way remote from B&O and are not even considering any other brand. :-). Just sayin ........

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-04-2009 8:55 PM In reply to

I'm with JK. iPhone as a remote leaves a lot to be desired. It goes to sleep and has to be woken up, re-connected, and then you're left with a daunting list to "gesture" through. It's the same reason the Beo 5 would make a lousy platform for browsing. There just isn't enough real-estate to browse a serious collection conveniently. 

• 06-05-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

tournedos:
    I believe we will have to wait for any manufacturer to build a practical OLED tv first...

I've used, and mr_anders_son has owned an OLED tv for quite some time...

Of course it cost $35,000 and only has a 2.2inch screen.   But it does come with a neat built-in camera.  Link

-Michael

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)