in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2009 12:59 PM by Beottaku. 113 replies.
Page 5 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

• SKApretto71
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Europe - Italy - Tuscany - Fucecchio
    • Posts 66
    • Founder

Re: BeoWorld and B&O..

Tom:

As long as B&O is nothing more than a regular advertiser on the site, I see no bad in the news. Where I am not really convinced at the moment is the way Beoworld is payed for the advertisment. I would prefer if they payed it like any other company, because otherwise, the site and the draw become some dependant from B&O, which is, as you said, not what is intended.

+1

It's what I was about to write.

Thanks for letting me save some keystrokes. :)

---

Raffaele "SKApretto n.71" Sgherri

I like Chrome and spread it!

• 06-07-2009 5:13 PM In reply to

9 LEE:

Exactly how (and if) B&O advertise, and where, is open to discussion - but i would initially suggest static banners, a review of the product in question, and of course a thread/news article.  In return for this i have suggested B&O donate prizes for the draw as opposed to financial remuneration.

Lee & The Moderating Team

Smile

Donating prizes was the first thing that came up in my mind to benefit Beoworld. Next to guided tours to Struer this is the best option to keep Beoworld independant.

just my 2 cents...

• 06-07-2009 6:09 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

As for a secret ballot?  We're talking about B&O popping an advert on the site, not buying it outright or evicting us from the internet...

Ok - fair enough. As enough people have pointed out this is your site. But please, why ask the question when judging from the above your mind was already made up? If it's just to rubber stamp what you already know will be the answer then I think the whole exercise is disingenuous. Were you really expecting a chorus of disapproval? Honestly?

Sorry - I've hardly been a troublesome member, but this issue has touched a nerve as I feel that questions are being asked, then dissenting members are being shouted down. I'll go and stand in the corner until I have had chance to think about what I've done wrong!

John, you're not 'troublesome' at all, as you rightly state - and i'm sorry this issue has touched a nerve.  I don't feel you have been shouted down at all though. You raised issues, i answered. We both have points of view, and not once did i say you were wrong - i just felt you had missed the essence of the whole thing. I still respect your opinions though, and that's what a good forum is all about.

If the majority of members had felt it not to be a good idea, i would not have proceeded - i can hand on heart promise you that.  However, the general concensus seems to be 'let's go for it and see what happens'.  If it starts to feel uncomfortable, we will reassess.  I doubt anyone would be shy about coming forward if either myself, the moderators, or indeed the whole site started to veer off the path we are on - so i think the 10,500 members would be good judges of that.

I can honestly say that if i tried to please absolutely everyone, all of the time, i would spend my entire BeoWorld life running in circles and tying myself in knots achieving nothing.  It's unbelievably difficult to act on everyones ideas at the same time in unison, so there will always be someone who feels ignored - it's inescapable. The moderating team thought it was a good idea, but wanted to hear the members views - which were, in general, positive.

As for the people pointing out that 'this is your site' - well, yes.. the loans are in my name, against my home, and i'm responsible for the bills that keep rising as we improve and expand - but beyond that, i couldn't exactly run a website if i was the only member.  In the end i have to make the ultimate decision though - someone has to.

I will now speak to B&O and see what we can do that benefits both parties. A win/win is the aim, and i'm sure it will be the result.

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-07-2009 6:11 PM In reply to

Just thought I'd better resubmit this comment as it previously got enveloped by some irrelevant  off-topic exchanges.

vikinguk:

As a relatively new subscriber I hesitate to pass comment on this topic, especially as one of my early posts was on pre-owned dealers (in complete ignorance of the role of Lifestyle with the site!)

I take the view that carrying B&O advertising would indirectly sharpen-up B&O output as they would know that they would suffer disproportionately if a poor product was condemned by forum posters. (Even more so if they withdrew advertising after poor reviews.) In a strange sort of way, the fact that they are interested in using the site seems to suggest that they think that they've got good products in the pipeline that will stand-up well to Beoworld forum scrutiny.

So my view would be that the advertising should be allowed. Good products will carry good forum comment. Whatever Beoworld does, substandard products will ultimately mean the end of B&O as we know it, with the site becoming a vintage B&O site without the advertising we're all so concerned about!

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-08-2009 5:06 AM In reply to

• Roger
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 870
    • Founder

"If we can do something mutually beneficial to both Bang & Olufsen as a brand and also to BeoWorld, i can see no real harm - but as ever, i will be guided by the members and moderating team. Without the members, the site would be nothing - so your views count."

I remember the very same discussion on a car-fan site a few years ago, but the response was rather positive as they saw it as an opportunity to gain access to cars, sketches and equipment prior to launch - or at least being able to be among the first that could test/review new cars. As time went by, the main benefits (IMHO) were the visits to the factory/design dept's/launch sessions where the site gained insight into the thinking of those working for the company. 

BeoWorld should benefit from a closer relationship with B&O.

Roger

• 06-08-2009 10:09 AM In reply to

I am a (non-paying) member of this forum and though my input in it is limited, I really see no harm in Bang&Olufsen to advertise here.
    More so, I would consider it only normal as ALL of us are owning B&O stuff and therefore (If B&O are smart enough to play their cards right) advertising could be very beneficial for the both of us.

It is great to see that B&O realizes that this site is important to their brand and is able to do something (very effectively) at which they failed miserably.

After reading lee's excellent reply do all of the points and doubts raised in this thread, it has also confirmed Lee's intentions with this site clearly.
    Just the fact he's asking the members opinion is commendable and proves he's a man that stands behind his intentions.

Hence I do not see anything but benefits from it on all levels.

Regards

cooldude

• 06-08-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

>>Donating prizes was the first thing that came up in my mind to benefit Beoworld.<<

Honestly I think "cash" is what comes to mind first. I don't think anybody can expect that this site runs at a loss which I believe it might do right now. If advertising is balanced I don't think users would be offended by that. 

if you think about it, you need constant investment into the site. Yes we have a friendly community but if "features" don't stay current it might just die down in a few years. Think about the old site, not sure if it would be still up if the investment would not have been made. If we do not consider the "funding" aspect of it we may end up in a similar situation as with the old site and risk is there that no "angel" investor comes along to fix it.

Personally I somewhat nervous that we are not focused enough on the "funding" aspect of the site. It should not run at a loss, there should be profit - for the initial investor and also for needed investments into the site once that time comes - and it will that I know for sure.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-08-2009 8:38 PM In reply to

I'm not bothered at all by Beoworld taking $$ for advertising as I've mentioned previously.

My question to Lee is: Why ask us???

I don't recall being offered the same consideration for STB Brackets, Struer Design, Sounds Heavenly, LifestyleAV or the Beo5 programming service to run ads; yet ads run for these (and I assume Beoworld gets paid for some of these somehow).

Obviously Lee makes these decisions and shouldn't stop making these decisions, otherwise we'll have to start deciding on every change to this site. I for one am not interested in doing that....

Dare I say 'One Captain for this ship'??

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 06-09-2009 11:48 AM In reply to

I don't think that Bang & Olufsen have any intention, or desire, to gain any level of control of this site. The recognition is in the influence that the site has amongst members and the value of developing a stronger relationship with a concentrated group of customers. Whatever the agreement reached with Lee on payment, it will surely be cheaper than the vast quantity of mail that it sends out to customers and prospects. As the dealers are often required to fund (at least in part) some of this activity I am sure they will welcome a saving in their expenditure in the current climate.

• 06-10-2009 4:28 AM In reply to

See 'This bothers me a lot' thread. Why not ask B&O for a formal link on their website back to Beoworld?

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 06-10-2009 4:39 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Funny you should say that.. i asked yesterday!

The very nice person i asked gave an answer akin to 'well, i'll suggest it - but i'm jumping under my desk when the answer comes back'

Laughing

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-12-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

What about discounts from B&O for subscription based members? I am not subscription member but it would be an incentive and to increase revenue for the forum.

• 06-12-2009 11:53 AM In reply to

Hi !

I just want to try to  translate the summary of the post I vrote on the french forum about this subject. I hope that not only french will undestand ... Big Smile

first I think that  the rules of BO in Beoworld will be exactly defined before everything. 

They must accept that they can't introduce a message if somebody has'nt ask something to them. And if they answer, I thing that they don't have to introduce a kind of advertising in the message.

On a other hand, I think that they must tell to us witch kind of product will be soon on sale and we have to know the most exactly possible the specifcations of this product.  

The greater part of buyer will not wait the marketing of a product without have an idee of his caracteristic. He will buy by another firm. But if he knows precisely the kind of product is coming soon, he can wait and compare the price with another firm and may finally buy a BO product. 

Here are the two idees I developed in the french forum about the opportunities to have a sponsor wtih BO

http://jim1964.labrute.fr

• 06-16-2009 12:59 PM In reply to

I'll be happy to see B&O UK ads on beoworld. I just want one thing : each year on December a new Beovision (the 7 series Lee ? ;-)) must be offered by them for the Prize Draw lol 

Page 5 of 5 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5