in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-06-2009 6:04 AM by k984942. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-03-2009 5:34 AM

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Vertu Mobile Phones

Hi All,

I was just wondering what the group consensus on Vertu phones is?

www.vertu.com

I have to admit to being a proud owner of a Constellation for some time now and it strikes me was being a very similar brand to our beloved B&O.

The quality and workmanship is outstanding, they're exclusive enough that you don't see one everyday, and they're discreet enough that few would realise the cost (a real bonus when using it public).

On the downside, the built in technology is several years behind the market (sounds familiar!) and under the skin they're essentially Nokia's.

Your honest  thoughts are welcome  - go nuts, I won't be offended!!

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 06-03-2009 6:31 AM In reply to

Re: Vertu Mobile Phones

OK, so I'll go nuts then. Laughing

Vertu is a overpriced phone.

Vertu looks good, but an iPhone or even Serenata is much better looking.

One can of course   fill any electronic device with precious metals or gems, but does it need it? It doesn't fill any other function than to please it's owner. 

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 06-03-2009 7:17 AM In reply to

I have had a look and they are OK I guess but they don't make me want to reach out and grab one, whereas B&O products usually do. There's something about the uniqueness of B&O and its difficult at times to describe what they do that other manufacturers don't - they just do it! A Vertu wouldn't be unique enough for me, whereas B&O would. Vertu and products in that price range alike are (in my opinion only) targetted for the celebs and super rich who have to have the next best thing in order to keep one step ahead of their peers. So, one company adds 100 diamonds, the next company adds 1000 diamonds and a few rubys here and there! B&O just isn't about that (Thank goodness), people who buy B&O appreciate the engineering and the thought behind the product. It represents a whole host of other things. Looking at diamonds gets borning after a while, no matter how many there are. Looking at a B&O product doesn't, there's still a thrill every time you use it. I guess a lot of that has to be down to things like the opening curtains on TVs, the motors in the phones, the wings of the BC2, the 7000 old remote moving up towards you etc. Its those little magical moments that almost give the product life, thus it comes to life every time you use it, always remind you what a great product you have. Hope that all makes sense! I was writing as it came to me!

Simon.

• 06-03-2009 7:45 AM In reply to

• Luke
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-03-2009
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 286
    • Bronze Member

A phone like that.... the first few times you drop it must be extremely painful. My Serene really loves to bounce with its rubberised coating LOL.

• 06-03-2009 8:32 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Have yet to drop it but I'm sure its inevitable!

So far I'm enjoying it (has been around 4-5 months) and the feel of quality is certainly there. I previously had an iPhone so I feel I've experienced high tech - felt like it was time to feel some quality!

To me it is like moving from a regular casio to a prestigious Swiss model. The previous is the technically better at doing its job but you don't enjoy using or owning it.

The weight, button press, fit and finish, quality of leather, etc really are outstanding. I just miss having some features to play with on the train!

I think the market is wide open for someone to create a top of the line luxury phone (and I don't mean bling - I have no precious metals or stones in/on mine) with a lot of the up to date technology out there.

Until then I suppose we all have to make our choices - top spec or top quality!

• 06-03-2009 9:23 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I've always wanted a Vertu, and was about an hour away from buying one when i decided to have a look at iPhone. The iPhone pipped it...

Two opposite ends of the spectrum, agreed, but the iPhone is by far the most amazing gadget i have ever owned.  I know the Vertu is utter quality, and if i just made phone calls i would never have even looked at Apples little magic-box, but my needs from a phone are great!

I realised just how much i loved the iPhone a few nights ago when sat in a hot bath drinking a cold beer, watching Family Guy on it's big screen. That was after i got stuck in a traffic jam watching South Park, playing Blackjack and checking my emails on it.. Big Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 06-14-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

Vertu ... I just love the finish on some of the models.

Especilly when they work leather with precious metal, the craftmanship on such a small scale item is outstandingly beautiful. (worth the price)

Unfortunately when they start to put precious stones all over phone, they blow it! for me.(gives me the feel that they are hiding somethin') IMO bare innovative design & artistry should on its own justify the price and not adding stones - Vertu may not want to get this balance right yet because there is a big market out there that beleive it the other way round (stones/bling justifies price) - And they are also right.

As an investment buy, I assume one can recoup the value of the stones in time and for this reason it may be a Great buy.

• 07-05-2009 7:17 AM In reply to

I have bought a used handset and can now enjoy the touch and feel and satisfaction that brings a vertu phone, but at almost half the price of new. I have bought it from www.luxuryphones.net.

• 07-05-2009 2:34 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Come on guys. Definetely it does have an exceptional feeling but do not forget that it is an expensive Nokia!!!!! It does belong to Nokia if someone here does not know it. And frankly spoken it is just for phone calls. No more use after that!

I've been to iPhone which is really nice but still the best piece of all is Blackberry 9000. This is a nice toy for pros.!!!!!!!

I use it 24/7 and I have aboslutely there from surfing , emails Navi etc. That is a high end technology. 

Best regards

Spiros

• 07-05-2009 3:03 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

You mostly all know I am a Serene user and lover, but you probably don't know that my bluetooth headset is a Jabra X10 (designed by Jensen)
    I have used this for 3 years with just one replacement ear hook, and am extremely satisfied. It cost me around £30 on eBay.
    Strangely, Vertu have (what appears to be  the identical headset

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 07-06-2009 6:04 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Spiro, if you like having the latest technology you're probably not in the right place! Stick out tongue

Although I fully agree that Vertu's are essentially glorified Nokia's, surely that's in line with the B&O ethos that we all seem to love! Samsung TV with a B&O outside anyone! Whistle

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)