in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-28-2009 8:34 AM by RedGrant. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2009 11:00 PM

Movies B&O would have made..............

• 06-15-2009 2:40 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: Movies B&O would have made..............

The "2001: a space odyssey" is one of the greatest movies I have seen. Very, very long and slow, but still so very stylish. No computer graphics there, but the spacecrafts revolving in the space are just so magical and real. Class A example of what GOOD photographical effects can do!

I have watched this movie many times and still keep enjoying it! Sadly no B&O included... Stick out tongue

Here is the opening theme, the best quality version I could find from Youtube (NOT that good but gives an idea how it looks). I have this on DVD and it's just amazing quality and it's just incredible.

This a must for any scifi-fan and I would love to demonstrate my Beolab Pentas with this opening theme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XyS7uCtnq0&feature=related&fmt=18

EDIT: And there is another one; my favourite scene from the movie. Just SO beautiful and stylish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oHmVhviO8&annotation_id=annotation_798020&feature=iv&fmt=18

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 06-15-2009 6:56 PM In reply to

Ville Laustela:

The "2001: a space odyssey" is one of the greatest movies I have seen. Very, very long and slow,...

I agree, but I don't think it's as "long" as peope think.    "2001" is one of those movies that should be watched on a big screen to really appreciate and "feel" the movie as a "poetry", instead of simply merely understood and "analyzed".

When I watched it first time, I watched it on 20" Toshiba SD, and I thought the movie was too long and a pretentious bore.  I was 25y.

When I watched it second time, I though the movie was good, but needs better editing, especially the time travel sequence being too long. I was 35 and watched it again on 20" Toshiba.

When I watched it third time on movie theater on special showing, I was blown away.   I thought the movie was not too long at all, and the time travel sequence was just about perfect.  People should watch "2001" on a movie theater to really appreciate it.

Ville Laustela:

but still so very stylish. No computer graphics there, but the spacecrafts revolving in the space are just so magical and real. Class A example of what GOOD photographical effects can do!

Indeed, there's a sense of reality to it.

• 06-16-2009 2:29 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

RedGrant:

Ville Laustela:

The "2001: a space odyssey" is one of the greatest movies I have seen. Very, very long and slow,...

I agree, but I don't think it's as "long" as peope think.    "2001" is one of those movies that should be watched on a big screen to really appreciate and "feel" the movie as a "poetry", instead of simply merely understood and "analyzed".

The slowliness is of course what people see in the movie if they don't bother to look deeper. A colleague of mine mentioned watching only the "ape-part" of the movie once and then getting bored and stopped. I just had to show the movie to him. Big Smile We set up a video projector in our office and started to watch the movie from DVD (with high-quality Genelec active monitor speakers) and it was just fantastic! We both enjoyed it a lot and as you say, this film really gives it's best when watched in big screen. 

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 07-26-2009 8:25 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

2. Gattaca  

Modern yet classic.  Technology but human(too human for some productsStick out tongue).  Reaching for the stars while trying to figure out who they are ( Struer).  The Danes tend to be very reserved and quiet( I mean this in a complementary way)...  So are the characters in Gattaca.  

Basically about technology and people and where they intersect.  Not to mention beautiful aesthetics.

-Michael

• 07-28-2009 8:34 AM In reply to

Ummm....    I don't know.....  I finally saw Gattaca about 5 years ago, after some hesitation ( there was premonition in my mind, Gattaca would be to too "cerebral", kinda like "Star Trek the Motion picture", btw I do like and enjoy a certain amount of cerebral aspects in the way shown in the Star Trek episode, "The Menagerie", but basically I like cerebral mixed with certain amount of eye candy, and there was not enough "candy" in Gattaca.)

More in tune with B&O would be, "Logan's run".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TS0DLbuBzs&feature=related

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)