in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2009 2:39 PM by csmager. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2009 3:02 AM

BV8-40 & PS3 Audio Troubles

Hi B&O Fans,

I'm new on this forum, and just bought my first "new" B&O product! The BV8-40. Great TV. But I have a problem...

I've bought a PS3 to work as a Blu-ray player, and a mediacenter. So far so good. I've used a HDMI cable (of course) between the BV8 and the PS3.

But sometimes the audio disappeares!? If I put a blu-ray film in the PS3 and it starts up, the audio disappeares!?!?!? I play around on the PS3 a little more and decide to shut it down and watch television. Now the audio on the TV is back, but if I switch to another channel, the audio disappeares again and I have to turn of the BV8 to get the audio back!?!?

Anyone who has had similar problems? Or have an idea to a solution?

Regards Claus

I was the second place winner on the BeoWorld May 2009 Prize Draw!

Thanks to BeoWorld for a great site!

• 06-01-2009 3:05 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV8-40 & PS3 Audio Troubles

Yep, I used to get that on the BV7-40 MKIII. You need to switch to another source and switch back. ie. for me, I switch to V.MEM and then back to DVD2.

• 06-01-2009 3:12 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Is it just me or has the whole B&O TV range become an unforgivable (and very expensive) joke?

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 06-01-2009 4:04 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Puncher:

Is it just me or has the whole B&O TV range become an unforgivable (and very expensive) joke?

Weird thing is, I only realised that this happens on my BV7-40 when it was mentioned. In the scheme of 'issues that have gone wrong' it's so low down the list I didn't think it worth mentioning. What does annoy me though, is that it only ever happens when I have mates around and we're using the PS3. Audio goes, you have to switch to another source, then back, for the TV to 're-negotiate' the link.

EDIT: one thing that does frustrate me about these 'issues' is that, when you speak with your dealer (and your only point of contact with B&O) they make it sound like you're the only person that has any issues at all. Almost as if you're a trouble-maker! Funny thing is, the dealer seems to conveniently forget that I've not complained about my BS4, BL3s, BL9s, BL5s and other kit! Only really the BV7..

• 06-01-2009 10:26 AM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

I think you have to set the audio output on your PS3 to Bitstream not PCM, but I will check in the morning and confirm.

cheers splud

• 06-01-2009 10:27 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Are you sure? I was also told use PCM. Also, PCM is supported with the BS3! Bitstream is for poor TVs who can't decode their own audio. Do not use Bitstream!

• 06-01-2009 10:32 AM In reply to

• splud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-11-2008
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 42
    • Bronze Member

Like i said, i'll check in the morning, but I know the BV8 had trouble decoding 5.1 using PCM, but worked fine using Bitstream, maybe it's just the BV8??

• 06-01-2009 11:20 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Good point. I was thinking BV7-40 MKIII+. ie. with a BS3 that can decode the audio formats (well, PCM). Don't know about the BV8. You might be right. Anyone?

• 06-02-2009 12:30 PM In reply to

moxxey:

Are you sure? I was also told use PCM. Also, PCM is supported with the BS3! Bitstream is for poor TVs who can't decode their own audio. Do not use Bitstream!

On the contrary, Bitstream will pass the undecoded stream to the TV for it to decode.  PCM means it sends an decoded stream.  There should be zero difference in quality - except the PS3 can only bitstream DD and DTS formats (i.e. not the HD variants).

• 06-02-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Everything I've read about Bitstream is that it's an encoded format that sends information to audio devices telling it exactly how it should be decoded. I've always been told that you should use uncompressed/raw PCM, rather than Bitstream. I may be wrong, but that was the general consensus.

• 06-02-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

Think of it as a zip file - it doesn't matter if you use Winzip, 7zip, WinRAR or whatever - you're going to get the same result.  It doesn't matter who or what expand it - it either works, or it doesn't.

'Bitstream' is not a format, it's just a method of passing on the compressed stream as it appears on the disc (or file, game etc) without touching it, as opposed to expanding it first and passing it on as PCM (PCM is the 'raw' format of digital audio).  The reason for the option is in some cases the player will not be able to decode certain formats wheras the receiver may be able to, or vice versa.  As long as one of them can decode it, there's no advantage either way.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)