in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-16-2009 9:22 AM by SWISS_2. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-02-2007 7:10 AM

Carry case for Beosound 3?

I have a beosound 3 and I think the sound quality is very good and I have always thought it be would cool to bring it to a picnic or take it with me on a weekend road trip...even though it's portable...I am always worried about scratching it...

I don't think there's a carry care for the beosound 3 out there...but I think it would be a great idea...what do people think?

Filed under:
  • 06-02-2007 12:38 PM In reply to

Re: Carry case for Beosound 3?

You mentioned 'picnic,' I immediately brainstormed a Champagne cooler, would that do the trick during its journey in the car?

• 06-02-2007 12:53 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Hello Oasis;

I think this is an excellent idea, and one that Bang & Olufsen could pursue. I would be easy enough and would serve to protect the looks and function of the BS 3.

In taking the original " portable " Beosound 1 here and about, and having scratched two BS 1 grille covers over the past 5 years, you take chances with your investment.  Replacement grilles are not an inexpensive item at  Euro 175 + each, and some of the original colours have since become unavailable.

The two that I purchased in Europe were later taken to North America and then on to South America. I cut 2 " thick Coolite (blown cellular styrene) foam into 4 patterns, and taped the sections over each BS 1 to carry it through as accompanied baggage. I did this as it was somewhat double safe inside a locked suitcase, than inside the original B&O carton alone. Also less obvious considering theft these days.

This method works, and would also for the BS 3, but can be a bit of a mess at times opening and closing the packaging when taped. A good carry case, padded on the inside, and bottom, could utilise the BS 3 carry handle at the top. Until such time as B & O offers such  protection, you might want to onsider the merits of using one of the Pelican Box models available in Sailing or Diving shops. These are light, water and dustproof, and thickly foam-lined. The foam inside pulls out, and can be cut to fit a BS 3 plus all cables, cords, and other accessories.You can see one of the cases here:

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1500

Cheers

• 06-02-2007 1:05 PM In reply to

• ®
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 970
    • Founder

A Louis Vuitton case? Indifferent Big Smile
  • 06-02-2007 1:12 PM In reply to

britops:
    A Louis Vuitton case? Indifferent Big Smile

LOL, both of you guys have made me seem incredibly stingy compared to my idea!

• 06-02-2007 5:38 PM In reply to

The LV version will probably cost more than the BS3 itself!!!

What I have been doing is wrapping it with a thick towel/blanket...so the champagne cooler idea is not that stingy!

I hope some manufacturers might read this and translate it into an actual product...since there are covers/cases for a lot of useless things on the market...

• 06-03-2007 2:10 AM In reply to

As with most B&O equipment the BS1 has a dedicated quilted product cover available for your dealer, they are produced for servicing use but I am sure that your dealer would be happy to sell you one.  I am not sure if there is one for the BS3 but if you have a very helpful dealer, they will be able to see if one is available.
  • 06-03-2007 5:23 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Never heard of a BS3 carry case, but it would be a usefull item. The only problem I see is whether the sound quality would stay the same, as the speaker would have to be hidden by the case.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-03-2007 7:00 AM In reply to

tom:
    Never heard of a BS3 carry case, but it would be a usefull item. The only problem I see is whether the sound quality would stay the same, as the speaker would have to be hidden by the case.

I think Oasis meant a carry case for its travel, might be wrong.

• 06-03-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

• Philippe
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Toulouse, France
    • Posts 321
    • Bronze Member

You can order the BS3 protecting cover at your dealer under the B&O piece ref : 3375489

Here's the link (thanks again PL212) to the various B&O product covers.

Philippe

• 06-03-2007 12:55 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Henry:

tom:

I think Oasis meant a carry case for its travel, might be wrong.

Ok, now I understand...

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 06-04-2007 12:02 AM In reply to

When I was looking to purchase the BeoSound 3, I also tried to anticipate finding a case for it.  So, I looked into getting a Mulholland Brothers Deco Single Wine Carrier Case.  The measurements seem to be right, but I wasn't sure how the handle would be positioned.  You can see the details of the case at:  mulhollandbrothers.com  If you try it, and it works, please let me know, because I would be curious to find out if it is suitable.  And you should know that Mulholland makes very good quality leather goods.  Good luck!

• 06-04-2007 7:18 AM In reply to

Turns out my brainstorm was a good idea:

PERFECT!

Available on Amazon.co.uk for £16.99. Only 3 left lin stock, so hurry and buy your new limited edition innovative aluminium Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 3 travel case with shoulder strap now!

• 06-05-2007 12:51 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Good looking case. Price is also very good, when compared to Rimowa.

Will it fit correctly with the top handle ?

• 06-05-2007 8:35 AM In reply to

SWISS 2:

Good looking case. Price is also very good, when compared to Rimowa.

Will it fit correctly with the top handle ?

Please don't tell me you've already bought one! I meant it as a bit of a joke, however if it does fit then why not? Does anyone have the dimensions of the BS3? I'll check up on the dimensions of this splendid travel case in the mean time.

• 06-05-2007 9:55 AM In reply to

eduard:
    I have bought a carry case for the BS-3 some month's ago. Just the one a dealer use. But the first one I bought was to small , the bs-3 did not fit, and you know........ it was a carry case from B&O.......  wrong size Big SmileBig Smile

A B&O case which didn't fit?! Confused How silly!

• 06-05-2007 11:51 AM In reply to

eduard:
    Well it is true, after some months I got a new one from my dealer.....and that one is okay!!

Oh it was a faulty one. I understood they made them all the wrong size! You make me laugh Ed! Smile

• 06-05-2007 5:58 PM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Henry;

Yes, I already did, but like B & O,  this is also  long-term ongoing collection.  The Lufthansa Rimowa model Bordkoffer ( or onboard box case ) works, as does the Attache. It fits, but still requires some padding around it. I have this from 1994.

Rimowa being around for 100 + years  , has made a box for just about everything or size imaginable. There was, or still is a Champagne case offered,  that was padded and opened in a split-side hinged manner, with a lock. I like good Champagne, but I never quite saw the need for it. .

I think the case shown above is the right choice for the price,  looking quite smart, but perhaps a bit flash to leave in the backseat of a car. Polished Alu, Stainless Steel, or even Silver metallic paint always attracts the eye. I one had a BS 3 inside,  I'd keep it hidden and protected in the boot.

• 06-06-2007 2:47 AM In reply to

Hi Swiss,

It just occured to me that the handle wouldn't fit inside the case I attached above because it sticks out so much on the sides. The case also doesn't have any padding inside so you'll probably scratch the BS3 every time you put it in and out.

That post was all a bit of a giggle really, and just to prove (probably just to myself) that my first post in this thread was almost a brilliant idea. Laughing

I'll have a further look around on Amazon and see if I can find anything. Maybe Eduard will also be able to tell us how much he speant on his B&O case?

• 06-06-2007 1:43 PM In reply to

As promised Swiss, I've found some links for you, for a possible BS3 travel case. Although a 15 Euro case made by B&O sounds like pretty good value to me. I suggest you take a look at one of those before buying anything else just yet.

Here's what I could find.

Look at the Luxury Oak on this one:

http://www.winedirect.co.uk/blend_wine_gift.php?gclid=CJ_SxpvWx4wCFShUEAodFB2TWw

There might be a few of interest here:

http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/showitem.aspx?productid=WB800-002

And finally this one looked quite cool:

http://www.luggagepoint.com/lpProductDetail.asp?productId=14453

PLEASE don't forget to check the dimensions of these cases exactly as they're not exactly cheap!

• 06-07-2007 12:21 AM In reply to

• SWISS_2
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Neuchatel, Suisse
    • Posts 552
    • Gold Member

Thank you Henry;

I looked at the links: You done quite a bit of homework searching around.  Something came to mind about the last one. Sure enough, sitting deep in the sideboard was one in Burgandy we received as a gift 4 years ago. Never been used, and just sat there.

I pulled it out, and yes, it almost fits. The handle juts out a bit. My concern is dings, dents, and internal damage if it were bounced around driving. But it would work as a light, neoprene soft cover.

Just an aside you might find interesting regarding some previous discussion of single speaker sound quality with the BS 3. Some have mentioned that the BS 3 isn't comparable to a BS 1, and this is correct as the two are different units entirely. However, I just pulled a couple of old Zenith Transoceanics tube " portables " out to compare with the BS 3. Both radios were considered " The Ultimate State of the Art " for their time.

One unit is a G 500 (1948) the second is a  H600 (1954) covered in brown leather. The first two very retro looking radios:

• weigh 31 + pounds each  without batteries,
    • have shortwave, and AM band only ( Frequency Modulation channels didn't exist yet for civilians )
    • a single small speaker
    • a lighted " slide rule " dial  ( seen in later B & O models )
    • no digital anything
    • no alarm clock
    • combination of a  5 foot telescope antenna.and 2 pound " wavemagnet " antennae
    • you listened to what you could find on the airwaves, not what you wanted to.

Which of the three is lighter, plays FM, and digital recordings, and sounds better ?

Another good reason to protect your investment with your BS 3, which has come a long way since those days. One might argue that the MP3 formats are smaller, but you can't share an MP3 player with a crowd like you can with a BS 1 or 3.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >