in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-22-2009 6:32 AM by superdario. 36 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-06-2009 1:28 PM In reply to

• Loris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Italy
    • Posts 92
    • Bronze Member

Re: beogram 4000 issue

...seems a Thorens with a B&O arm....

• 06-06-2009 1:46 PM In reply to

Smile Completely correct - it is a Beogram 3000 which was made as a partner for the Beolab 5000 system of 1967. It is a Thorens TD124 Mk2.

• 06-06-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

• Loris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Italy
    • Posts 92
    • Bronze Member

5005 spindle.

well I turnad 8/10 degrees the bearing spindle with a plier and now it's perfect. It doesn't move no more.

a little bit of oil on the spindle and... voila'....I'm proud of myself Big Smile

Loris

• 06-06-2009 9:09 PM In reply to

Hi Peter, where on earth does one find one of those?? How many have you actually seen in the flesh in a manner of speaking? I've never seen one yet but I bet it's very nice indeed! I bet it was a table that was more widely distributed throughout Europe. 

Cheers,

Duncan

• 06-07-2009 3:34 AM In reply to

I have one! If you really want one, you need to see Frede! As well as restoring B&O, he is also an official Thorens restorer. They do come up on eBay at times but will almost always need full restoration. Whether it is sensible is another question. Probably easier to just get a Thorens TD124 and whichever arm and cartridge you want. Much easier to find! Smile

• 07-09-2009 3:41 PM In reply to

hi peter,

i've bought a beogram 4002 from a friend in switzerland. the beogram is in a nearly mint condition. only a few scratches can you find on the acrylic cover. unfortunately the pickup is only a mmc 20 s, but it is in a very well condition... with the pro-ject phono box 2 the sound is pretty good.

i'll tune my beogram like your picture above. do you know, were i can get the record clamp and the mirrored glass?

my new pickup a mmc 20 cl tuned by van den hul is on the way to me... ;-)

thanks

dario

• 07-09-2009 4:38 PM In reply to

Record clamp - any good high end store or on the internet - here is a cheap one - here is an expensive one - available in gold plate!!

You are probably best getting a glass platter made - a circular piece of mirrored glass cut to the correct diameter would be the obvious answer - pick the right thickness - measure what you have and you will need to fit the radial stripes - black tape will do.

• 07-10-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

thank you for the fast answer. as i thought as much, the mirrored glass platter and the aluminium record clamp are most likely special manufacturered... i like both, the tuned look (exepting the grado pick-up) and the original look.

has somebody got any other tip to optimize the beogram 4002? (belt, built-in motor, etc.)

thanks

• 07-10-2009 11:32 AM In reply to

• Loris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Italy
    • Posts 92
    • Bronze Member

If you are not concerned about aestethics, you could use a glass platter without the black stripes. If, once in a while,  the cartridge lower on the glass it will not harm Smile

Imo you could use an acrylic platter too.

Loris

• 07-10-2009 2:09 PM In reply to

;-) mille grazie loris... for shure i'm concerned about aesthetics, it's a part of my job. i'm a communication designer... jacob jensen did a great job with the beogram 4000 series. these are hifi-equipment milestones and in my opinion the best products ever manufactured by b&o.

the stripes on the glass platter can also be manufactured from cork or felt with the same dimension from the original rubber stripes.

maybe i'll do this as a second platter... ;-)

dario

• 07-11-2009 4:26 AM In reply to

• Loris
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2009
    • Italy
    • Posts 92
    • Bronze Member

Ciao Dario, spero tu condivida con noi le impressioni della tua nuova Van Den Hul. Quanto e' costato farla ristilare?

Hi Dario, I hope you'll share with us the listening impressions about your new Van Den Hul cartridge. How much did you pay for this retipping?

Loris

• 07-22-2009 6:32 AM In reply to

ciao loris, 

la mmc 20cl van den hul l'o aquistata usata su ebay olanda per 111.– euros.

i've bought the mmc 20 cl van den hul on ebay.nl for 111.– euros. in my opinion a really fair price... ;-) it comes with the original box, papers and the stylus is from february 1986!!! on the box is a price written by hand arround 493.– british pounds. so i can't tell you how much the retipping would cost for your old cartridge... here is the distributer from italy: www.excel-italia.com maybe they can make you an offer.

the sound is absolutly great!!! warm and smooth like the typical character from vinyl. the sound range is incredible and you can hear now a lot of new details, you've never heard before. attention: it play's so precise that you don't want to listen badly mastered vinyl records anymore.

dario

p.s.: i don't tune my beogram 4002 with record clamb and glass platter like the u.s. audiophile from peter's post. in my opinion, the beogram must be in original condition. 

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2