in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-01-2009 4:41 AM by Michael. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2009 5:54 PM

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

Beomedia 1 in a wireless set-up

Hi all,

I have just bought a Beomedia 1 and connected it to the Internet wirelessly. It works in general, but because the WLAN router is located on a different floor in my house than Beomedia 1 is, the wireless signal is weak and it is almost impossible to listen to N.Radio as the broadcast is constantly interrupted. Unfortunately, the room where Beomedia stands does not have a cable Internet connection. So I am thinking about increasing the strength of the wireless signal, and wanted to ask you if anyone has any experience / tips with respect to how this can be achieved best, e.g. what wireless range extension devices should be used, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 05-30-2009 8:44 PM In reply to

Re: Beomedia 1 in a wireless set-up

no experience on strengthening signals, but I once saw some one say a really cheap way of doing that was to construct a cone of kitchen foil to focus the signal from the transmitter 

put the cone on the side of the transmitter where you have no rooms or no plans for wireless reception

I am disappointed in my Beowireless (it works perfectly some days, and the others has constant glitches) and will go to cabling when I do my next big install 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 05-30-2009 9:58 PM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

not specifically with beo stuff but in my dad's house, I have successfully setup a wireless network across 3 floors.

apple airport extreme at main phone/modem point then install airport express along the way to "bridge" the wireless network.  it was the most cost efficient and aesthetically pleasing way to do it.

you should be able to get reception from the ground floor to the first floor with 1 extreme and 1 express.  if this doesn't work, "bridge" it with another express in between.

you will be amazed with the range!

• 05-30-2009 11:39 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I actually had the same problem and the solution was cheap, fast, stable and still working!!!

Since my house is 4 floors fully linked it was almost impossible to have a wireless signal everywhere. So the solution was ethernet over power plug. Extremely fast (200 mbs) and stable. You plug it and you forget about it.

Especially with N.Radio it was the best solution!!! And it's fairly cheap. Approx. 140 euros the first setup and then 50 euros per plug!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 05-31-2009 8:51 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

blue2th:

not specifically with beo stuff but in my dad's house, I have successfully setup a wireless network across 3 floors.

apple airport extreme at main phone/modem point then install airport express along the way to "bridge" the wireless network.  it was the most cost efficient and aesthetically pleasing way to do it.

you should be able to get reception from the ground floor to the first floor with 1 extreme and 1 express.  if this doesn't work, "bridge" it with another express in between.

you will be amazed with the range!

Blue2th, how cumbersome is the installation of airport extreme using a Windows PC? This set-up would make my current wireless router obsolete because airport express works only with airport extreme, i.e. I would have to replace my whole wireless hardware with the Apple stuff. Maybe worth considering though.

BV7-40, BC6-26, DVD2, BCordV8000, BS4, BS2, BS Ouverture, BC9500, BM8000, BCord9000, BL8000, BL6000, BL2, BL3, BVox4500, BCom6000, Beomedia1, BCom5, Serenata

• 05-31-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

• beodim
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Switzerland
    • Posts 130
    • Founder

Spiros:

I actually had the same problem and the solution was cheap, fast, stable and still working!!!

Since my house is 4 floors fully linked it was almost impossible to have a wireless signal everywhere. So the solution was ethernet over power plug. Extremely fast (200 mbs) and stable. You plug it and you forget about it.

Especially with N.Radio it was the best solution!!! And it's fairly cheap. Approx. 140 euros the first setup and then 50 euros per plug!!

Spiros, this sounds very interesting. What ethernet over power hardware exactly did you use? Was it Netgear? Thanks.

• 05-31-2009 10:16 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

i found it to be a breeze.  install the airport utility that comes with the extreme/express and setup your network within a few clicks you r up and running.

if u already have a wireless router, you can add just the express units to create the bridge (so i've been told but not experienced myself).

the only reason i suggested the extreme is because the range blew any of the other wireless routers i've used in the last 5-6yrs.  it's also DUAL band 2.4 and 5Ghz allowing devices on different profiles to operate simultaneously without slowing down the network.

PS: i am also using the extreme and express (with windows) at my place but it's an aparment, so no multilevel issues.

• 05-31-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

I use a Level 1 gear and it's really perfect. You should give it a try.

Best regards

Spiros

• 06-01-2009 4:41 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

blue2th:

i found it to be a breeze.  install the airport utility that comes with the extreme/express and setup your network within a few clicks you r up and running.

if u already have a wireless router, you can add just the express units to create the bridge (so i've been told but not experienced myself).

the only reason i suggested the extreme is because the range blew any of the other wireless routers i've used in the last 5-6yrs.  it's also DUAL band 2.4 and 5Ghz allowing devices on different profiles to operate simultaneously without slowing down the network.

PS: i am also using the extreme and express (with windows) at my place but it's an aparment, so no multilevel issues.

I agree, i use airport extreme setup at my lounge room plugged in to my cable modem.  It's a breeze to setup, well i use macs.  But other equipment talks to it quite easily.  I have 2 airport expresses too, which I don't use because the range is fine for both my imac and my macbook air all over the house.  

I use the expresses now when i want to stream music outside and also if i go on holiday and want to use it in the hotel room to send the 'wired' hotel signal wirelessly. 

The imac is in a bedroom and it's very quick, the range is excellent on the extreme - it's in my television cabinet with the other equipment and it's behind doors. 

Spiros's suggestion of the powered option is something to also consider, it's a technology i've been wanting to try for some time.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)