in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2009 12:06 AM by soundchoice70. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2009 4:32 PM

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

M150 & BS7000 in need of tlc.

Hi,

As some of you may have seen in other threads, I haven't really been satisfied with the sonic qualities of my livingroom Beosystem & Beovox M150 combo. It simply sounds worse than my other systems (a couple of Beosystem 8000s with various speakers and a Beomaster 5000), the bass is loose and un.controlled (if you get what I mean) and the treble is muddy. There is bass and there is treble, but it should sound better than this.

I have checked the speakers with other amplifiers, and the beomaster with other speakers and have come to the conclusion that both the beomaster and the beovoxes are to blame :) The bass problem almost vanishes when I use a bm8000 instead, and the treble improves both when I use another amp and when I use other speakers (and is at its best when I use the other amp AND the other speakers, hehe!)

The easy way would of course be to get another system, but that's not what I want - I love the bs7000 and I want to keep it. I just want it to sound as good as it can.

My plan is to:

* re-cap the crossovers (I talked to Dillen about this a long time ago, but I haven't had the time), this should hopefully eliminate the treble problems caused by the speakers

* replace the power amp of the beomaster by using a hidden external amp instead (it will probably be a Rotel, maybe an RB1050) connected via powerlink (and thus eliminating the substandard power amp of the beomaster), hoping to get a more stable sound (especially the bass)

In addition to this, I'm a bit curious regarding the protection circuits in the speakers. Could they be causing signal degradation? Any thoughts or ideas?

What do you think, would this be the best way to go? Any other ideas?

• 06-01-2009 1:44 PM In reply to

Re: M150 & BS7000 in need of tlc.

Almost certain to be the crossover capacitors - worth paying for solid state ones in these speakers, but it'll cost you plenty to do it this way, you could use bipolar electrolytics, a lot cheaper, just make sure the voltage rating can handle it.

• 06-01-2009 2:03 PM In reply to

Buying a cap kit from Martin is the most straightforward way to do it, especially for technically bewildered people like me!

Simon

• 06-01-2009 5:30 PM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it a lot! Yep, I also think that a re-cap would be the best first step.

Any opinions regarding the protection circuits in the speakers?

• 06-02-2009 12:06 AM In reply to

Hi Henrik,

Not sure that i can be of much assistance, but thought I would jump in as your question re the 'overload circuit' was something that came up for me recently... I am getting static on one of my speakers when coming out of standby and Martin and Peter suggested it may be the overload circuit, which it appears to be...

Now in that thread Peter had said a pair of his 150's sounded terrible because of corrosion on the circuit, so its worth looking into...

Here is the thread...

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/26620.aspx

You might also want to check out the other thread I refer to of jeff's where his 120's were sounding awful and it turned out to be the circuit again.. Can't seem to find it though....

Anyhow, would recommend the re cap, did mine, improved the top end, making them feel more balance, and clear....

For the BM 7000 there is also a thread about removing some caps in the amp output stages I think it is, which is said to improve the sound quality, but obviously the power would remain the same... here it is...

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/25939/198806.aspx#198806

Trust this will be of  some assistance..

Laurence.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)