in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-02-2009 9:09 AM by TerryM. 57 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2009 5:50 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: BV7-40 Mark IV ... second thoughts / what is the "problem"

Calibration would take place in a seperate process for SD and for HD, thereason why Sd dvd is not so good as on a standalone player is because BR players do not play SD discs very well- unless its high end .

I really think the problem is that almost anything looks good showing HD content sent at the right bit rate.

• 06-01-2009 5:59 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Calibration would take place in a seperate process for SD and for HD

But how? That's digitally impossible. The BS3, for example, can't tell the difference between, say, BBC1 or BBC HD through the HDMI cable, via the same source. It's just a digital video signal. What I meant is that if the BS3 (for the BV7) was calibrated to get the most from HD, it's going to be razor sharp, meaning the picture will show every possible detail from a HD picture, but again every possible detail from a SD picture. Result? SD looks mega-pixelated (no smoothing).

• 06-01-2009 10:52 PM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the samsung and sony panels are one and the same (manufactured in the one plant).

you read my mind - the kuro would have just blown anything else to bits!  imagine the b&o design + audio and the kuro panels.

although the pioneer lcd panels and future plasma panels will be made by panasonic.

but i agree with moxxey - SD quality/upscaling has to live up the the HD performance and it's definitely a bummer than an "integrated" blu-ray drive uses the external HDMI port.

seems like b&o have rushed it out to curb the losses but may have been better to spend bit more time to work out design issues and make it properly integrated product.

• 06-01-2009 11:54 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Ordinarily, in a home cinema set up one would have a seprate HD box and calibrate for that, then calibrate for SD then any connected products. Obviously there is not much porcessing going on with HD- hence the reason why even the lowest end screen looks good showing it.

The art of manufacturing and a real sign of quality in a technical perspectve is to be able to show good SD.

• 06-02-2009 4:38 AM In reply to

• blue2th
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

i've not tested the Loewe - but from what the article describes - B&O should have released something like this for it to be in front of the market, esp in the premium segment.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And_Large_Display/Industry/J8U7J8N8

• 06-02-2009 5:45 AM In reply to

When will they Wake UP...zzzzzzzzz

They have got  to Listen to there Customers..maybe one day????

Bv7-55 & Bv7-32...Blue,lab1's x4,Yes4Blue, 6000x4Blue,Beocom6000 Blue,Beo5.Oh what a Blue set-up & a Beosound 5...After all,its Bang&Olufsen!

• 06-02-2009 5:53 AM In reply to

what i find so ridiculous is that it's only a matter of some simple tweaking to make the bno tv's really competitive , instead of cutting corners they should be adding useful features like as many hdmi's as possible and using top end 3rd party components rather than the cheapest thing they can find that does the job ( which seems to be the case of the blu ray in the bv7/40 )

one day they'll wake up and companies like loewe will have taken all their market and then what will they do ?

they really need to get a move on with their in house development with vastly more resources devoted to the technical side than the design side which seems to be the main problem now..

anyone for a gold tv ?  ???  'i give up'

popgear is grate™

• 06-02-2009 9:09 AM In reply to

Flappo The Grate:

what i find so ridiculous is that it's only a matter of some simple tweaking to make the bno tv's really competitive , instead of cutting corners they should be adding useful features like as many hdmi's as possible and using top end 3rd party components rather than the cheapest thing they can find that does the job ( which seems to be the case of the blu ray in the bv7/40 )

one day they'll wake up and companies like loewe will have taken all their market and then what will they do ?

they really need to get a move on with their in house development with vastly more resources devoted to the technical side than the design side which seems to be the main problem now..

anyone for a gold tv ?  ???  'i give up'

What I find ridiculous is that in the light of B & O's apparently inadequate software development on new product releases one is not automatically entitled to as many free software updates as is needed to bring the product upto troublefree operation.

Is "all in one"system integration a double edged sword?

Page 3 of 3 (58 items) < Previous 1 2 3