in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-22-2012 6:32 AM by elephant. 37 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-28-2009 7:54 PM

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Shirts

A few months ago, a Paul Smith shop opened here in Luxembourg. A few weeks ago, Sabrina, my wife, bought me a PS shirt which I am very happy with, because even after a long day, it does not look "worn". Last weekend, I went to the shop myself and got 2 other PS shirts and I am sure these won't be the last ones.

What is you favorite shirt(-brand)?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 05-28-2009 8:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Shirts

Hugo Boss for me - never had one that didn't fit perfectly.  Paul Smith come a close second (i have 3 or 4 PS Shirts), and i have a couple of Helmut Lang shirts that i love too.

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-28-2009 8:34 PM In reply to

Jhane Barnes has radical yet elegant designs that somewwhow never seem to look out of style.

I also like Ike Behar or the Heartland Company.

Marc Baxis has some pretty crazy stuff as well.

• 05-29-2009 6:23 PM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Tom:

What is you favorite shirt(-brand)?

Brioni.

I find them extremely well made, easy to iron (top-end cotton), excellent design and so on. Plus, you can walk in to the Brioni store in London, get them to measure your upper body, allow you to choose from hundreds of different fabrics, then order semi-bespoke shirts that are made to your size within 6 weeks. Best of all, this semi-bespoke service is only 20% more expensive than the standard off-the-shelf Brioni shirts (as they are all hand-made, so I suppose it's just as 'easy' to make one to your size).

Only snag is there was a minimum order. I can't remember what the minimum semi-bespoke order was exactly, but I think it was either 4 or 6 shirts.

I haven't take advantage of that service (it's bad enough buying one, never mind four Brioni shirts), although I know it exists.

• 05-29-2009 6:41 PM In reply to

My favorite clothing brand in general is Ralph Lauren (polo range) simply because the clothes last, I can throw them in the washing machine and tumble dryer and it doesn't seem to damage them.

• 05-29-2009 7:04 PM In reply to

I'll second Paul Smith shirts. I have several that I wore for work over many years, and they were worn to death in that they only gave up from extreme punishment around the cuffs related to the work I was doing at the time. Same applies to Aquascutum shirts - I have about ten that I wore regularly for work until recently, and they're all top notch :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 06-03-2009 12:09 AM In reply to

Thomas Pink. 

I like that they have slim fits and that in general they are cut a bit longer ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-03-2009 9:53 AM In reply to

Graham1982:
    My favorite clothing brand in general is Ralph Lauren (polo range) simply because the clothes last, I can throw them in the washing machine and tumble dryer and it doesn't seem to damage them.

yep. i used to buy only polo and brooks brothers back in the 70's because it was good quality, fit well, lasted forever, and "were" hard to find.

then, it seemed the rest of the world found out, arguably for other reasons! i stopped buying "labeled goods" in the early 80's to the point where if it had any label whatsoever, it was surgically removed. i spent the next two decades looking like a generic roll of paper towels!

as trends/fads wax/wane, i actually returned to the brands in the last 2 years for all the original reasons. a brooks brothers pima oxford is hard to beat! just do not buy the "no iron" version... they seem to pill and degrade quickly.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 06-03-2009 4:59 PM In reply to

• darren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 164
    • Bronze Member

I have a few Thomas Pink shirts but I feel that the have not lasted as well as my Gieves and Hawkes shirts which I prefer.

Recently I have been buying shirts from T M Lewin as the are very well priced, good materials and well cut.

• 06-04-2009 7:27 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Tom:
    Sabrina, my wife, bought me a PS shirt

Tom!  Didn't she just buy you a watch too?  You must be doing something right!

I agree with Jeff about the higher end Brooks Brothers.  May not be as flashy as some but they are the staple of the classic dress shirt.  

Most importantly most all of their styles are extremely consistant in their sizing.  Meaning that if you're at a hotel and desperately need another shirt or two, you could have the concierge arrange to have shirts delivered to your room in your size (or even small/medium/large casual shirts) and you can rest assured that the fit will be consistent with other dress/casual shirts you've got from them.

I know they are in Italy and much of Asia.  I'm not sure about the UK.

-Michael

• 06-04-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Michael:

Tom:
    Sabrina, my wife, bought me a PS shirt

Tom!  Didn't she just buy you a watch too?  You must be doing something right!

Sure am I doing things right! Stick out tongue

But the shirt was first. The watch was for our 1st wedding anniversary, and she got one too...

• 06-07-2009 7:55 AM In reply to

Prada and Thierry Mugler shirts are perfect for me as they have that slim fit design. The shirt must looks really sharp while I'm standing up.

IMHO, the best thing for me is to have a tailored shirt to you own upper body size (Sur Mesure) :

- Liste Rouge (www.listerouge.fr/)

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 06-08-2009 10:20 AM In reply to

• Bebs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-08-2007
    • London & Denmark
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

Etro

• 06-16-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

• archie
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Paris
    • Posts 497
    • Bronze Member

Hilditch and key.

because i love stripe shirt and exept "sur mesure" it's the only shirt maker whith matched stripes  on the shoulder and on the arms.

yes, yes, look your shirts you don't have this :

DU BEAU, DU BON, DU BO.

• 07-15-2009 3:10 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

archie:

yes, yes, look your shirts you don't have this :

Paul Smith shirts do have that too!!

• 07-24-2009 4:46 AM In reply to

Lacoste, Polo shirts I seldom use anything else. Smile

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 08-17-2009 5:31 PM In reply to

• Sibtain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2008
    • Buckinghamshire
    • Posts 33
    • Bronze Member

T.M Lewin.....windsor cut

or Thomas Pink,

• 09-06-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

Paul&Shark for me, specialy Exquisite white shirt model.Smile

• 10-16-2009 4:28 PM In reply to

The shirts I wear with a suit are mainly Boggi or Brioni. The last time I was in Milan I had a suit tailored for me at Giorgio Armani, when I collected the suit I noticed the Giorgio Armani label was replaced by my first name and surname ... a funny little touch.

• 11-03-2009 3:34 PM In reply to

Hi Tom!

Arrr good choice.  I am a HUGE Paul Smith fan  I am mad about their fitted shirts especially the ones with the stripes under the cuffs! I wear Paul Smith fitted suits for work they are superb quality and the fit is amazing - people comment on them. I baught my best friend one for his birthday as he'd always wanted one.

I love Reiss clothes too.  My favourite shirts apart from PS are Zegna (AMAZING QUALITY), HUGO, Thomas Pink and Dolce&Gabbana (GOLD and MARTINI fitted range)

Hope that's of interest to you dude

• 11-03-2009 8:22 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Paul Winn:

I am mad about their fitted shirts especially the ones with the stripes under the cuffs! 

That'd be me two weekends ago with one on then! Laughing

Don't even ask what i'm doing.. it's 2am and i was drunk doing an impression of something/someone.. Embarrassed

Lee

• 11-04-2009 8:19 PM In reply to

9 LEE:
    i was drunk

Oh ?

!!!!!

and there I was thinking those red eyes were the result of the camera's flash

Big Smile

maybe you had been drinking these http://www.greatcocktails.co.uk/FlamingLamborghini.html

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 11-05-2009 7:56 AM In reply to

Nice shirt dude!

• 11-05-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Thanks. However, i can guarantee the torso under it looks nothing like the chap in your Avatar.. 

LaughingLaughing

• 11-05-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

• hebo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 305
    • Founder

BV10

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >