in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-31-2009 8:40 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-27-2009 11:22 AM

• Lakis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Beolink Passive

Hello members,  Does any one know what is the use of Power Link socket on Beolink Passive ?

• 05-27-2009 1:10 PM In reply to

• Gerd
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolink Passive

For using it as an simple amplifier for passive speakers (without control by IR-eye).

• 05-27-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

• Lakis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the response Gerd, but what do you mean, is it for Power Link input signal when the Master Link cable is not connected?

• 05-27-2009 1:32 PM In reply to

Hi,

To use it to connect passive speakers (e.g. CX) to an active port (surrond sound on AV9000) you only need to plug the speakers into it and then run a Power Link cable to the TV. No Master Link cable required.

Funnily enough that's exactly what I did today!

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 05-27-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

PLease Note:

It must be a MK2 Power Link cable. Nothing else will work.

Regards Graham

• 05-27-2009 3:50 PM In reply to

Switch live also needs to be routed to either pin 1 or 4 - do they come on if you don't do this?

• 05-27-2009 6:34 PM In reply to

KingOfSnake:

Switch live also needs to be routed to either pin 1 or 4 - do they come on if you don't do this?

You're just confusing the issue!! I don't know of any standard situation where the following is not true.

All you need is a MK2 Powerlink cable

I have been answering questions on BeoWorld for years and this subject has come up over and over again. It seems that the only person who takes any notice is the person who asked the question today.

Everyone else totally ignores the question and the correct answer. However......tomorrow there will be somebody somewhere who can't make a Beolink Passive or a MCL2P work.

It's simples.........

All you need is a MK2 Powerlink cable

Regards Graham

• 05-27-2009 7:44 PM In reply to

I checked this with Steve at Sounds Heavenly only last week and was advised the same by an installer, I'll bring this thread to their notice, will make life a bit easier if a standard MK2 cable is all that is required however.

Sorry for confusing the issue, it was an honest question based on the advice of others but maybe I won't bother in the future.  Maybe there are some users who use a MK2 Powerlink Cable and can't get a Passive to work who will be grateful of the pointers...........

• 05-27-2009 9:10 PM In reply to

• Lakis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Thank you all for the advices.

I've tried using MK3 Powerlink cable but it doesn't work. I'll try with MK2 and let you know results.

But let me explain what I'm trying to do and perhaps you can help me more. I have a Beolink Wireless 1 installation with the Transmitter connected to a Beosound 3200 in main room and the Receiver with IR eye in a link room. I want to connect the Beolink Passive to the Receiver and drive two Passive Beovox 3000 speakers.

Will it work this way? Does Powerlink socket on Wireless 1 support MK2 cables?

• 05-28-2009 2:36 AM In reply to

I am afraid that I have no experience with Beolink Wireless.

But..............if it is going to work at all, you can guarantee that you will need a MK2 Powerlink Cable !

Just so there is no confusion, generally speaking, the two options are:-

1    Masterlink plus IR Eye or

2    A MK2 Powerlink cable

Regards Graham

• 05-28-2009 4:11 AM In reply to

• Lakis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

I am afraid that I have no experience with Beolink Wireless.

But..............if it is going to work at all, you can guarantee that you will need a MK2 Powerlink Cable !

Just so there is no confusion, generally speaking, the two options are:-

1    Masterlink plus IR Eye or

2    A MK2 Powerlink cable

The Masterlink works only with transmitter on Beolink Wireless not with the receiver. I'll try any how with MK2 cable. Thank you.

• 05-29-2009 11:51 AM In reply to

Hi, I thought the cable I had used was a Mark 1 and not a Mark 2, only as it was a cable that didn't work the LCD screen on my Lab 3000's........

I'll try it again and see what happens!

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 05-29-2009 12:31 PM In reply to

• Lakis
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-15-2009
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Jubilation !

I tried with an MK2 PowerLink cable and it works !

Thanks a lot Graham

• 05-31-2009 8:40 AM In reply to

Graham,

You are correct (as always!) Laughing

Mark 2 Powerlink cable is the one to use for any application where you are NOT directly connecting Beolab speakers to one end of the cable (ie. if you are using MCL2P, Beolink Passive in Powerlink mode, etc).  This is because these items require both pin 1 (Powerlink On) and pin 4 (Mute) to be connected, whereas the audio circuits in the majority of non-display Beolab speakers trigger from pin 4.

The exceptions to the above are the older Beolab speakers with displays and Beolab 5, both of which use pins 1 and 4 for triggering.

To clarify my recent discussion with KingOfSnake (as referred to above), this was in general terms about trigger functions within Powerlink cables, so I was speaking in terms of Beolab speaker triggering, rather than for use with Beolink Passive/MCL2P.  Hence, I had mentioned to him that most Beolab speakers trigger from pin 4, with pin 1 only being required for Beolab 5 and speakers with built-in displays.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Steve (off outside to enjoy the sunshine!) Cool

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)